Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you go back in time to change history?

• 12-05-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭

If you were given the chance to go back in time and change one thing what would you do? Would you do it? Would the butterfly effect make things much worse because of your actions?

The premise is when you go back in time you have one month before the event you pick to change history. You are exactly where you are now, so if you want to change an event in America you have to somehow get there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Remove all forms of religion.

We would be a thousand years more advanced without the dark ages of scientific oppression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I'd give Wolfe Tone and his French friends a good weather forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

Brendog wrote: »

We would be a thousand years more advanced without the dark ages of scientific oppression.

Surely something else would take its place though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

No, because it would cause a shift in the time/space continuum.

Jeez, didn't you people learn anything from Back To The Future. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

How exactly would you do that? Push a heavily pregnant Mary down the stairs?
    Could work..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Would the butterfly effect make things much worse because of your actions?

Even if there was no butterfly effect after you had changed history, and things progressed to the point where you were born, you would have no knowledge of the event that your timetravelling self had changed. There would be no reason for you to go back in time and change things, so the event that you had stopped would unfold anyway.... in the past. So... um.... you'd have to go back and stop it again, but you couldn't because then you wouldn't go back and stop it, so it would happen again...

....damn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'd ensure Eamon DeValera never saw the light of day and the entire criminal organization known as Fianna Fail would never have been created.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Yakult wrote: »
    Could work..

Maybe. Or perhaps you could give the Holy Ghost a Holy Condom before he gets her up the spout at all.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Maybe. Or perhaps you could give the Holy Ghost a Holy Condom before he gets her up the spout at all.:):):)
    Wouldn't a non-holy condom work better? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'd go back in time and MAKE history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Yakult wrote: »

Could work..

Religious beliefs existed a long time before Christ's birth. Just how far back would you have to go?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I would advise The British to be nicer. Then they would still be here, we would be happy about it and we wouldnt be in the shet we are now in.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

smithcity wrote: »
    Even if there was no butterfly effect after you had changed history, and things progressed to the point where you were born, you would have no knowledge of the event that your timetravelling self had changed. There would be no reason for you to go back in time and change things, so the event that you had stopped would unfold anyway.... in the past. So... um.... you'd have to go back and stop it again, but you couldn't because then you wouldn't go back and stop it, so it would happen again...

....damn.

You come back to the present day after you change history, even if your actions have somehow affected your own existence. You exist in an alternative universe combined with the future your actions have created.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Religious beliefs existed a long time before Christ's birth. Just how far back would you have to go?

You would have to go back far enough to poke out the eyes of the first sentient people, so that they couldn't see the sun and moon and decide to worship them.

Then you'd have to wait around a few tens or hundreds of thousands of years, until an age of reason was firmly established, before you could risk letting them see anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I'd go back to before 2003 and start Facebook myself.

You come back to the present day after you change history, even if your actions have somehow affected your own existence. You exist in an alternative universe combined with the future your actions have created.

DO you then have to murder your alternate self and take his place? This is getting out of hand. You should just stay out of the time machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

id go back to august armed with all the results from every european football match this season, and i'd simply load up on free money

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Mine would be mostly football related stuff - stop the manc kunts from winning more titles than my club - LFC.

Ah well, you can't have everything. We've only 5 European Cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'd go back and go for the soup over the side salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Yeah that would be one way to sort out the Atheists. Bunch of twats :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I would go back to Eden and smack some sense into the rib-woman and tell her not to be listening to the talking snake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I'd go back and win the euromillions (twice just to be greedy). It wouldn't make the world a better place or solve any of the worlds problems but I would have one he'll of a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Mine would be mostly football related stuff - stop the manc kunts from winning more titles than my club - LFC.

Ah well, you can't have everything. We've only 5 European Cups.

shut up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

There would be so many possible things to do...

I'd definitely try to bring back as much technology as possible to speed up our understanding of things though.

Trying to assassinate Hitler before he rose to power would be one, even if the idea of killing another human disgusts me.

I'd have to try to stop the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, but I imagine that that would only delay the inevitable.

I don't think that anything I'm capable of would be enough to stop 9/11 or the "War on Terror".

Shame that that's all that comes to mind really. There are a few personal ones too, but they pale in significance to the bigger picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭weemcd

yes I would go back and win myself a sizeable euromillions pot, and that's the end of that chapter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

All assassinating Hitler before his rise to power would do is lead the world into a history line like was seen in Command & Conquer: Red Alert anyway... :p

I'd probably just go back and try and get myself the numbers for the Euromillions once or twice. I might not be happy, but dammit I could be miserable in comfort. :cool:

Maybe do something like trying to prevent the rise of Christianity/Islam... although I'm not sure how I'd accomplish this. I'd try anyway, with the results that I'd be hanged-drawn-and-quartered/burned at the stake/beheaded/etc. :(

DazMarz wrote: »
    Maybe do something like trying to prevent the rise of Christianity/Islam... although I'm not sure how I'd accomplish this. I'd try anyway, with the results that I'd be hanged-drawn-and-quartered/burned at the stake/beheaded/etc. :(

Well, I'm pretty sure you could take down Jesus, but you might have your hands full when it comes to stopping Muhammad. They didn't call him the Warrior Prophet for nothing, that guy's got mad skills bro.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I actually did go back in time once. Unfortunately I started the Spanish Inquisition....really wasn't expecting that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'd go back and change it to "Pisstory".

• Advertisement
Advertisement