Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St pats or DCU?

Options
  • 12-05-2012 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi everyone! I'm (hopefully) going to st pats next year to do primary teaching. However I was thinking of staying in dcu and travelling over each day.. Is this a bad idea? Accommodation seems a small bit better there and since I'm very much into soccer I thought the amount of soccer tournaments and stuff in DCU would be for me. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I assume this is a different St Pats to the one I'm thinking of attached to the Joy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 The hammers

I assume this is a different St Pats to the one I'm thinking of attached to the Joy!
    . Well i do hear that st pats nightlife is class but I was just contemplating DCU aswell!

The St Pats I'm thinking of doesn't have much of a nightlife. Lights out at 11pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

The St Pats I'm thinking of doesn't have much of a nightlife. Lights out at 11pm

stop hijacking this thread, if you've never heard of st pats teacher training college stop posting in the thread http://www.spd.dcu.ie/main/index.shtml

Thanks I have now! Does that mean I can keep posting? Personally I'd probably want to live in the St Pats I'm thinking of rather than DCU but thats just down to the area. The Uni campus is meant to be safe enough. Okayish for town etc but not great.

• Advertisement

So would you suggest dcu and commute each day?

I was being cheeky as you didn't pick up on the fact that I was referring to the St Patrick's Institution. Sorry. As I said above DCU is grand but I really wouldn't;t want to live on Campus its very close to Ballyfermot. Drumcondra would probably be a better bet but I've never heard of your St. Pats so can't really comment - other than not being overly impressed with DCU's location. Grand students from my experience though.

I was being cheeky as you didn't pick up on the fact that I was referring to the St Patrick's Institution. Sorry. As I said above DCU is grand but I really wouldn't;t want to live on Campus its very close to Ballyfermot. Drumcondra would probably be a better bet but I've never heard of your St. Pats so can't really comment - other than not being overly impressed with DCU's location. Grand students from my experience though.
    I know where your coming from with the reluctance of entering Ballyfermot :P thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭peacock169

DCU is nowhere near Ballyfermot, its Ballymun you're thinking of. Travelling from Drumcondra you arrive at DCU before Ballymun, so i wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Also, if thats how you think, don't assume Drumcondra is all rosey in the garden. Why dont you ask on the DCU board, if you haven't already.

peacock169 wrote: »
    DCU is nowhere near Ballyfermot, its Ballymun you're thinking of. Travelling from Drumcondra you arrive at DCU before Ballymun, so i wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Also, if thats how you think, don't assume Drumcondra is all rosey in the garden. Why dont you ask on the DCU board, if you haven't already.
    As you can probably tell i don't know the area too well..(innocent country folk :P). I will post on the dcu one aswell now. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Haruki

Jeez, the thread is well off so far.
    Okay, if you can get/keep the accommodation in DCU and you are happy there, do it. DCU campus is very close to St.Pats, not what i would call a "commute" 10-15 minute walk...and it's a nice pleasant walk too.

Ps..if you are serious about the nightlife;), the Drumcondra area would better, more choice. But town is only down the road anyway..so its no biggie.

Haruki wrote: »
    Jeez, the thread is well off so far.
    Okay, if you can get/keep the accommodation in DCU and you are happy there, do it. DCU campus is very close to St.Pats, not what i would call a "commute" 10-15 minute walk...and it's a nice pleasant walk too.

Ps..if you are serious about the nightlife;), the Drumcondra area would better, more choice. But town is only down the road anyway..so its no biggie.
    Exact type of advice I was looking for! Thanks :) do you think that I might be a small bit out of place in dcu or is that a stupid question? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Haruki

Ha. Stupid question my friend, go easy on yourself. Look, DCU or any other place for that matter is full of all-sorts:D...so don't worry.
    And as you said you want to take part in soccer and soccer tournaments, that will help you integrate no end. Plenty of other things to take part in too sports-wise.

And, one more thing. Do not worry about Ballyfermot;)...it's miles away, haha. And have no worries about Ballymun either it's just up the road but you'll have no major reasons to go there. It's a fine area where DCU is situated, nice park beside it to chill on good day.
    Keep your head high and your wits about you..like anywhere else, and you'll have a blast.

Haruki wrote: »
    Ha. Stupid question my friend, go easy on yourself. Look, DCU or any other place for that matter is full of all-sorts:D...so don't worry.
    And as you said you want to take part in soccer and soccer tournaments, that will help you integrate no end. Plenty of other things to take part in too sports-wise.

And, one more thing. Do not worry about Ballyfermot;)...it's miles away, haha. And have no worries about Ballymun either it's just up the road but you'll have no major reasons to go there. It's a fine area where DCU is situated, nice park beside it to chill on good day.
    Keep your head high and your wits about you..like anywhere else, and you'll have a blast.
    Thanks a lot for that :) really helped!

seriously, reported for trolling

Pointing out trolling in threads can be seen as trolling, just saying.

EDIT: As can back seat moding.

what that entire post meant to be ironic?

what that entire post meant to be ironic?
    How has this conversation turned to ironic comments about trolling!? :) do you lads have any advice on the subject?

Living on campus in dcu will be more expensive than living off-campus. The areas around dcu and st pats are equally safe and probably similarly priced. both areas are equally accessible to amenities. There is a big tesco in drumcondra near st pats would probably be an advantage.

being based on the dcu campus will give you good accessibility to their astro pitches and the gym and the student bar. i think as a st pats student you get all the advantages of being a dcu student, including their football team but not sure.

if all your lectures are in st pats i'd be inclined to live in walking distance of there. i don't think dcu on campus is walkable to st pats. well it is but it would be about 25 mins. actually that doesn't sound so bad.

are you a football girl or boy? not being nosey but might make some difference to your perception of safety, might be ok for a lad to walk home from dcu to st pats or vice versa at night time but less so for a girl.

Living on campus in dcu will be more expensive than living off-campus. The areas around dcu and st pats are equally safe and probably similarly priced. both areas are equally accessible to amenities. There is a big tesco in drumcondra near st pats would probably be an advantage.

being based on the dcu campus will give you good accessibility to their astro pitches and the gym and the student bar. i think as a st pats student you get all the advantages of being a dcu student, including their football team but not sure.

if all your lectures are in st pats i'd be inclined to live in walking distance of there. i don't think dcu on campus is walkable to st pats. well it is but it would be about 25 mins. actually that doesn't sound so bad.

are you a football girl or boy? not being nosey but might make some difference to your perception of safety, might be ok for a lad to walk home from dcu to st pats or vice versa at night time but less so for a girl.
    I'm a lad so it shouldn't be too bad of a walk. Yeah st pats students can use all dcu facilities I think. I wouldn't mind the walk provided that it is safe of course!

• Advertisement

Oh and I won't be 18 til December..are they very strict on I.D or should I get away with someone else's until then?

Advertisement