Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

epidural

Options
  • 12-05-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

hi all,

just have a question for yes. Anyone know if you have a tattoo on the bottom of ur back, does this stop u getting an epidural. I am hearing that it does?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

no this is totally false....I have one and got an epi,doc laughed and said I see you made my job easier by marking the spot:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Bullsh1t.. I have one on my lower back and I got an epidural..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

I had my first child nearly ten years ago - I do know there was a question on the permission form asking had I and tattoos anywhere in the last 12 months or specifically any lower back tattoos in the last 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Apparently, there is no scientific evidence that a tatoo prevents an epidural. BUT the rumour has been spread so well, that actually some doctors have refused epidurals to women with lower back tattoos! Best thing to do is discuss it when you meet the anesthetist before the birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ivy, i dont think its normal to meet anyone before the birth other that the midwife! I know things are different where you are. Op, maybe ask the in the midwives clinic.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Ivy, i dont think its normal to meet anyone before the birth other that the midwife! I know things are different where you are. Op, maybe ask the in the midwives clinic.
    Ah sorry about that, I keep forgetting it's not the same. Over here, they make you meet the anaesthesist before any birth for a health assessment, in case you need an epidural/emergency c-section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

That's brilliant Ivy, wish they did that here.

January wrote: »
    That's brilliant Ivy, wish they did that here.
    I think it's more to cover the anesthesist's ass, but yeah it is good (for example, they look in your mouth to assess the ease of putting a tube in) etc. They checked my heart also.

Advertisement