Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing Moths and Moth Larvae

Options
  • 12-05-2012 4:24pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Bit of an issue here. My landlord left a hoover for me (never used/have my own) which was infected with Moths. The infection isn't big and I've got rid of the hoover but I notice larvae in the carpet down the sides.
    I baught insect killer spray for flies the other day, its done more damage to my skin and the bloody moths larvae survived several blasts of it :rolleyes::rolleyes: so I'd appreciate any help for products which will kill the larvae, I don't care if they are chemical ones once they work.
    I don't notice any on my clothes, it seems to be isolated to a certain area of the bedroom where the hoover lived
    Edit: I put some salt on the larvae, heres hoping it works!

Nick
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Well I got down on my hands and knees with rubber gloves on and manually picked up all the bits of larvae at the edge of the carpet, looks like the spray I used yesterday did take care of them after all, hopefully thats it sorted now and no more moths :)

Cheers,

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NikkiBareham

It is estimated that around 1.5 million homes in the UK alone experience problems with moths, and it's an issue that is getting worse. With central heating, the moth life cycle has now become active all year around, and it seems that inner cities are the worst hit areas. Finding moths can cause significant distress. Problems range from disgust at moth larvae in rugs, horror at holes in expensive jumpers, worry about wool carpets to food moths in kitchen cupboards.

Here are some tips for both landlords and tenants on how to stop carpet moths -

1. CLEAN - Move furniture away from edges of the rug/carpet and thoroughly vacuum (both sides if possible), paying particular attention to skirting boards and crevices
    2. KILL - Spray the rug/carpet deep into the pile and on the underside if possible to kill any eggs and / or larvae - also consider foggers for severe infestations, producing an insecticide smoke that pests cannot avoid
    3. MONITOR - Place moth traps close to affected areas to monitor for adult moths and to break the breeding cycle
    4. REFRESH - Vacuum deep into edges regularly, keep moth traps current and replace every 3 to 6 months and consider respraying regularly – with warmer houses carpet moth damage and infestations are now a year-round problem.

Good luck and I hope this helps to resolve any future problems.:)

Mod Edit:
    Hi Nikki your post was flagged as spam as it is your first post here and you had a link in it. However it is informative so I removed the link and left the main body, usually people need to build up a few posts before posting with links to products as it can appear to some as free advertising and that's not allowed here. So to be safe I killed the link. Welcome to boards and thank you for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey yoyo, non computer issue this time, I just posted this thread in AH, but it got locked, don't think it was the right place to post it :) : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056666986

How did you get on in the end? Any sign of them coming back, any tips for me in the linked to situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 savy

Can anyone help me Have carpet moths in a bedroom how can i get rid of them hoovering doesnt seem to be working any ideas please at my wits end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 verona21

I have the same problem, I got a good hoover, one that pretty much lifts the carpet it's so strong & then used my steam cleaner. Took a long time to steam clean because I used a small attachment & left it on each spot for about 10 seconds to make sure it killed anything underneath. I only did it a couple of days ago but there's already a marked improvement. My plan is to repeat til they're all gone & put moth pheromone strips in each room under the bed/behind lockers etc. According to Rentokil the strips are more attractive to the male moths than the carpet which should stop the infestation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dolgaff

Hi.
    There is a product called constrain..it is said to be safe for humans and textiles. Anyone used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stuartkweston

Carpet beetles and larvae can be killed at a temperature above 140 degrees F. This temperature can be maintained at the carpet surface by a truck mounted deep steam carpet cleaning system. Their powerful on-board vacuum will also suck out living and dead organisms, their byproducts, and food stock from your carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Bricriu

I had the same problem in my carpet years ago, and I tried a hot clothes iron, which helped, but after much searching, I came upon 'Insectrol' by Rentokil in the Hardware shop in George's St in Dublin, across from Dunnes Stores. They also had moth-pads to use in wardrobes. They resolved the problem.

I didn't see these products anywhere else, except in a hardware shop in a village in Co. Clare (can't remember name).

Advertisement