Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure If I was fired?

Options
  • 12-05-2012 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I handed in my notice to my workplace two weeks ago as I am going travelling, with my finish date this weekend. My manager was away when I handed in my notice so I think was a bit surprise by this when he came home from holidays last week. However he schedualed me for work this weekend. Yesterday when I rang my workplace to check what time I was due in work at and I was told by my manager that I was not needed to work this weekend, that I was "done", "free". I was very confused by this but however just said thanks and hung up. I am extermely confused by this as I have done nothing to warrant such actions and feel that it was perhaps a way of my work attempting to fire me? Would just like to hear anyones thoughts on this.

Also have another problem, a few weeks ago we were given part of a uniform to wear while working. We signed a form and were told thatif we lost the uniform its cost, which is significant, would come out of our pay. Im unable to find mine but think that I may have left my uniform in work but am unable to check this. So Im not sure what to do about this? Im also unsure about how to proceed in terms of future references, collecting owed tips and my P45?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,517 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Your finish date was this weekend but you were given hours. Then the manager realised you were finished this weekend so cancelled them. Is that the situation? Even if you had intended that you would be working this weekend, bosses sometimes prefer to have people out than working notice.

Unless you did something to annoy him, there is no reason why he would get uptight about you leaving, people come and go all the time.

Ring again and ask about your P45 and tips. If he brings up the subject of the uniform just tell him you left it at work and since you haven't been back it is still there.

Don't worry about the reference until you need it. Employers often are only prepared to say 'X worked here for so many months/years' in a written reference, ring and ask if you can give them as a referee when you need it, if your new employer needs to they will ring him. Even if he is a bit irritated at the moment he will have forgotten by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mary2012

Thanks for replying looksee.

No my manager knew exactly when I was finished but then schedualed me in for my final shift this weekend and then when I rang told me I was done. Im just so confused because I dont know what I could of done to cause such a reaction. Its very unlike my manager as he is normally very supportive.

Thanks for the advices re: tips, P45 and uniform. Have also asked one of the girls I worked with to look for the uniform in work. Also can I just clarfy my employer is legally required to give me my P45?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mary2012 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying looksee.

No my manager knew exactly when I was finished but then schedualed me in for my final shift this weekend and then when I rang told me I was done. Im just so confused because I dont know what I could of done to cause such a reaction. Its very unlike my manager as he is normally very supportive.

Thanks for the advices re: tips, P45 and uniform. Have also asked one of the girls I worked with to look for the uniform in work. Also can I just clarfy my employer is legally required to give me my P45?

you are entitled to your p45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

you weren't fired you handed in your notice, you may have received hours but maybe a new person was employed and the manager wanted them in straight away to train and gave them your shifts, no biggie its how it goes

your P45 should be processed with the next payroll run so whatever day is your pay day your P45 should be with your employer so ring and ask can you either collect it or get it posted out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I have seen this happen in a couple of places where people work with money. If its a small business some managers would rather you didn't come in on your last day in case you have notions of leaving the till down etc. This use to happen alot in a shop I used to work in.
    Don't take it personally OP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It sounds like you have been placed on garden leave. Fairly common and nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tagfan

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It sounds like you have been placed on garden leave. Fairly common and nothing to worry about.

Are they getting paid for this gardeners leave though? Doesn't sound like it.

Advertisement