Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monthly billing charge for Sunday Business Post subscription

Options
  • 12-05-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

Back in November 2011 I purchased an online subscription to The Sunday Business Post website for one month.

I assumed this would expire one month later in December 2011.

On their site, they even have a note stating:

''Note: subscriptions last from the numerical date the subscription is taken until the same date one month, three months or 12 months later (depending on the subscription). For example, a monthly subscription taken on November 11th will expire at midnight December 10th. ''

Yesterday, I checked my bank statement and realised I have been charged every month for this service. I have never logged in to use it since December and so assumed my month access had expired.

My questions are a) have I any rights to a refund for the monthly charges incurred after December (i.e Jan to May 2012) ?

b) Or will TSBP say that I have given them consent to charge these prices as I never cancelled my subscription?

As an aside, there is barely any mention of cancelling subscriptions on the website. The only reference I could find is the following taken from an email, but does not apply to me as I did not purchase through iTunes.

''More information on subscriptions
    Subscriptions will auto-renew in iTunes unless the 'auto-renew' function is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period. This means that your account will be charged for renewal (for the same subscription price) within 24 hours prior to the end of the subscription period. You may switch off the 'auto-renewal' feature and generally manage your subscription in your account settings. Please bear in mind that no cancellation of a subscription is allowed during an active subscription period.''

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

It's a re-accuring charge, so you have to take the hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Sam Mac wrote: »
    It's a re-accuring charge, so you have to take the hit.

But their website never made that clear.

It said: '''Note: subscriptions last from the numerical date the subscription is taken until the same date one month, three months or 12 months later (depending on the subscription). For example, a monthly subscription taken on November 11th will expire at midnight December 10th. '''

So I was under the impression that I was making a one off payment to access the site for one month only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes, but it's auto renewing until you say otherwise. It's in their T&C.

Yes, but it's auto renewing until you say otherwise. It's in their T&C.

No sign of it in the T and C's on their website :

http://live.thepost.ie/c/page/terms.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Looks like the op is right, it says nothing about having to give notice to cancel or auto re-new:
    These can be purchased in periods of one month, quarterly (three calendar months) and annually. The longer you subscribe, the bigger the discount you receive: up to 44 per cent off a per-edition purchase.

Did you contact the post?

• Advertisement

I did indeed. Emailed them on Friday but have heard nothing back yet.

Got an email back from them saying the following:

''I'm afraid that our subscription service is auto renew and this should
    be stated on the email originally sent to you upon purchase. I will
    cancel your subscription with immediate effect and apologies for the
    misunderstanding.''

The only reference to auto-renew was in relation to iTunes so I think they're attempting to pull the wool over my eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

I would be asking them for a refund for all charges beyond the first month, I would also state a timeframe for them to complete this refund.

Gileadi wrote: »
    I would be asking them for a refund for all charges beyond the first month, I would also state a timeframe for them to complete this refund.

I'm seriously considering doing that.

I'm not confident that they'll refund me but I've nothing to lose.

I'd understand if I had accepted terms and conditions which stated the subscription would renew automatically after its expiry date. But there were no such t and c's.

It's not really about the money it's more out of principle. I don't think any company has the right to rip-off its customers and get a way with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Eod100 wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering doing that.

I'm not confident that they'll refund me but I've nothing to lose.

I'd understand if I had accepted terms and conditions which stated the subscription would renew automatically after its expiry date. But there were no such t and c's.

It's not really about the money it's more out of principle. I don't think any company has the right to rip-off its customers and get a way with it.

How did you pay? I don't want to give them my email address, just to find out.
    Can you post here, the confirmation email that you received. Just remove any
    names, phones numbers, email addresses etc.

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    How did you pay? I don't want to give them my email address, just to find out.
    Can you post here, the confirmation email that you received. Just remove any
    names, phones numbers, email addresses etc.

I paid by laser.

Here's a copy of the email:

''
    Thank you for renewing your subscription to The Sunday Business Post.

You can access this subscription on multiple PCs, smartphones or tablet computers.

If you already have an account, you can access this subscription by logging in to your account on other devices.

Here is how to access your purchased subscription on another PC, smartphone or tablet computer:

1. On a PC
    Go to businesspost.ie. Click 'login' (top right corner of the page). Enter your account information (your email address, Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn details). You will now have access to your purchased content.

2. On an iPhone
    Tap the 'settings' button at the bottom of the screen. Then tap 'login' and enter your account information (your email address, Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn details). You will now have access to your purchased content.

3. On an iPad
    Tap the 'login' button. Enter your account information (your email address, Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn details). You will now have access to your purchased content.

4. On an alternative smartphone*
    Go to businesspost.ie. Tap the 'settings' button at the bottom of the screen. Then tap 'login' and enter your account information (your email address, Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn details). You will now have access to your purchased content.

Want to register an account?
    You can register an account in two ways. You can either sign up using your email address or you can sign up using either your Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn accounts. By doing this, you get to access any content or articles you've purchased on any device. So if you buy an edition on a PC, you can browse it on your iPhone by logging in with your email, Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn details.

More information on subscriptions
    Subscriptions will auto-renew in iTunes unless the 'auto-renew' function is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period. This means that your account will be charged for renewal (for the same subscription price) within 24 hours prior to the end of the subscription period. You may switch off the 'auto-renewal' feature and generally manage your subscription in your account settings. Please bear in mind that no cancellation of a subscription is allowed during an active subscription period.

If you experience any problems accessing your subscription, please email ....

Once again, thank you for purchasing this edition of The Sunday Business Post.

Kind regards,

The digital team at The Sunday Business Post.

Sent that back to them and ask them to specify where it says your sub would renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Sent that back to them and ask them to specify where it says your sub would renew.

Ummm...
    Eod100 wrote: »
    More information on subscriptions
    Subscriptions will auto-renew in iTunes unless the 'auto-renew' function is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period. This means that your account will be charged for renewal (for the same subscription price) within 24 hours prior to the end of the subscription period. You may switch off the 'auto-renewal' feature and generally manage your subscription in your account settings. Please bear in mind that no cancellation of a subscription is allowed during an active subscription period.

dotsman wrote: »
    Ummm...

That only mentions iTunes though. I didn't purchase my subscription through iTunes..

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Thanks, did that alright so hopefully they'll get back to me!

Make sure you have a screen shot of the t&c s too, just in case things change quickly!

They're willing to refund me, fairly surprised and delighted!

Proof that pester power works!

Thanks for all the help folks! :)

Advertisement