Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiography/Medical Imaging - mature student?

Options
  • 12-05-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This is really more of a brain-dump - am seriously reconsidering my career and would love some advice.

I'm currently 31 and expecting my first baby. I'm in an Engineering job that, in theory, I enjoy, but is a very specific area of expertise, and therefore very limited with regard to job progression, and tbh, I'm seriously bored. I'm a graduate of Computer Science and Software Engineering.

I've never considered going back to University but think the prospect of doing some sort of medical imaging/radiography/sonography would be extremely interesting, while still maintaining a connection to the technical side of things. I have to say I'm really only investigating this now, and know very little about the area, other than it really interests me!

Would love your opinions on a few of the following:

-What type of course would be the best fast track to a career in this area? Are there part time courses? Or would I require a 3 or 4 year degree?
    -Would you say that starting a course like this at the age of 32 or 33 would be too old?
    -Would jobs in this area tend to be regular hours, or shift work (generally)?

How I would cope with a new baby and a full time degree course remains to be seen, but would love to hear your experiences! If I don't do something drastic soon, I'm going to crack up!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Would you consider medical physics, with your comp sci background you could bring a lot to imaging physics? TCD run a full time 1 year MSc.

I've posted a few times about the career before - I can't link as I'm on my phone but a search should find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Hi, thanks very much for that lonestar.

Is this the M.Sc you are talking about? http://www.medicine.tcd.ie/medical-physics-bioengineering/postgraduate/msc-physical-sciences/

Are you in that specific area yourself?

Yes, that's the course. There's also one in Galway which I did.

These are links to some threads from the past about the profession:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055866579&highlight=medical+physics

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055726475&highlight=medical+physics

You may be more interested in diagnostic radiaology than radiation therapy. The first part of the course is the same and then the class pick one or the other after Christmas.

Thanks a million for that lonestargirl.

Is a year's study really enough to go from a CS graduate (with a non-medical work history) to working in a medical environment?

Is there on-the-job training required? Or an 'apprentiship' of some sorts after the MSc? Would you think my age would have a negative impact at all?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I too am considering going for a degree in radiography. I'm 22, just finished a degree in music and film technology, a whole world apart from medical technology, but the urge to work in a hospital and help people is becoming too much to handle and I want to do something about it! I wanted to do radiography before, but the creative side of me took over and I opted for music instead. Now I regret it, and wished I'd done some science degree after leaving school. The only thing holding me back is the cost that it will take to go back to university full time - over 32 grand I think :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 UndertheBridge

I currently study Diagnostic Radiography in the UK, I've also dabbled in Radiation Therapy for a year so I'm familiar with both sides of the fence :)

I did look into the UCD course and I really don't know much about it to be honest, but I have seen posts from UCD radiography students before on boards.

Regarding mature students, its pretty much 50-50 on my course. People from all backgrounds, ages, kids/no kids, 3-4 previous degrees/no degrees!

If you've got any questions I would be happy to answer them.

I also wrote a post a long time ago about the life of Radiation Therapist when I was in first year and learning to be one, will go back through my posts and dig it out if thats relevant to this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056012764

Here is the thread I was talking about, hope its okay mods to bring up a very old post. !

I currently study Diagnostic Radiography in the UK, I've also dabbled in Radiation Therapy for a year so I'm familiar with both sides of the fence :)

I did look into the UCD course and I really don't know much about it to be honest, but I have seen posts from UCD radiography students before on boards.

Regarding mature students, its pretty much 50-50 on my course. People from all backgrounds, ages, kids/no kids, 3-4 previous degrees/no degrees!

If you've got any questions I would be happy to answer them.

I also wrote a post a long time ago about the life of Radiation Therapist when I was in first year and learning to be one, will go back through my posts and dig it out if thats relevant to this?

Thanks so much for that! That old thread is incredibly interesting. Slowly starting to decipher the differences between the various roles ...

I guess you had to do an undergraduate degree to qualify as a Radiation Therapist? I really don't think we'll be able to afford for me to study fulltime for more than 1, maybe 2 years, so I'd be looking to tag an M.Sc ontop of my B.Sc Computer Science and hopefully finish within the 2 years.

From the investigation into courses in TCD and UCD, the only entry point would be the M.Sc in Medical Physics : http://www.medicine.tcd.ie/medical-physics-bioengineering/postgraduate/msc-physical-sciences/

Could that course alone lead to the role you're in currently? (sorry, it's just so confusing!)

Could you please tell me what you would consider to be the pro's and con's of your job? Any aspects of it you dislike? Is there much room for advancement (without going into managment) - i.e. are there 40 year olds doing what you do?

I suppose the next step would be for me to try do a day's work experience to see what it's really like. Would there be any issues with me doing this while pregnant or should I wait until afterwards?

Thanks so much, really appreciate your time!

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    Thanks so much for that! That old thread is incredibly interesting. Slowly starting to decipher the differences between the various roles ...

I guess you had to do an undergraduate degree to qualify as a Radiation Therapist? I really don't think we'll be able to afford for me to study fulltime for more than 1, maybe 2 years, so I'd be looking to tag an M.Sc ontop of my B.Sc Computer Science and hopefully finish within the 2 years.

From the investigation into courses in TCD and UCD, the only entry point would be the M.Sc in Medical Physics : http://www.medicine.tcd.ie/medical-physics-bioengineering/postgraduate/msc-physical-sciences/

Could that course alone lead to the role you're in currently? (sorry, it's just so confusing!)

Could you please tell me what you would consider to be the pro's and con's of your job? Any aspects of it you dislike? Is there much room for advancement (without going into managment) - i.e. are there 40 year olds doing what you do?

I suppose the next step would be for me to try do a day's work experience to see what it's really like. Would there be any issues with me doing this while pregnant or should I wait until afterwards?

Thanks so much, really appreciate your time!

I'm not studying Radiation Therapy at the moment, I'm actually studying its related, yet quite opposite Diagnostic Radiography.

Being an undergraduate I'm completely unfamiliar with the masters route but I would imagine it is something that would be quite hard to get in to. Masters courses do exist for radiography in the UK and are 1-2 years of solid graft (you literally squeeze a 3 year degree into a short time!).

On my course at the moment there are people with previous degrees in biomedical science, nursing, psychology, biology and they chose the undergrad route as it is much easier to get into.

Regarding the work experience it is a must if you are applying to anywhere in the UK and as far as I know it is not a requirement for UCD/TCD but they recommend it. Its very easy to get work experience in any of the main hospitals here, just contact HR or even ring up the radiology/xray dept and you will be guided from there. Do it in the both fields...diagnostic and radiotherapy. They are both completely different!

Regarding your pregnancy and getting work experience it would probably depend on how far along you are. If you are intending to apply for something this coming september then you should probably get on it now. If not then you could hold off till afterwards. Pregnant workers in radiation environments are subject to all sorts of regulations and are limited to the kinds of examinations they can perform. Saying that masses of research exist showing that there is a little or none at all chance of any "damage" or exposure to radiation to a fetus for pregnant workers/patients, everything is done as a precautionary measure and to satisfy health and safety laws ;)

PROS Fantastic career opportunities, degree is basically a passport to work abroad too (though the USA is pretty difficult!), nice pay and nice working hours (when you initially qualify night work/irregular hours are expected of you!), "learn on the job" in university- its usually 50-50 between academic study in university and learning out in the hospitals. Lots of room for advancement, can move up the scale from a basic radiographer/radiotherapist to an advanced practitioner (who can report on xrays like the radiologist dr's, supervise departments, responsible for training students etc).

Cons Its like studying a medical degree without becoming a doctor ;) Its a lot of hard work, involves study of anatomy, physiology, physics and maths (everyone panics about this but its actually alright and quite basic!). That is the only con I have at the moment and its probably due to the amount of work I have to do for exams in a week :p

Regarding being a mature student, it will never be a problem, there are people in their 30's, even 50's, married, kids, part time jobs you name it studying and its the same everywhere. So yes there are 40 year olds doing what I do :)

I think I may make a Day in the life of a Diagnostic Radiographer thread if people are interested, I'm not sure if its been done before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

I think I may make a Day in the life of a Diagnostic Radiographer thread if people are interested, I'm not sure if its been done before?

Go for it! Sounds very interesting. :D

• Advertisement

mrsWhippy wrote: »

No, it couldn't. To qualify as a radiographer in Ireland (either diagnostic or therapeutic) the only option is the undergraduate route. As UnderTheBridge has already said both of these can be studied via an MSc in the UK, these courses are intense full-time and usually 18-24 months long. The IIRRT website will have more info.

The physical sciences in medicine course would be more applying your current skillset to medicine rather than a complete change in direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 trig83

I'm not studying Radiation Therapy at the moment, I'm actually studying its related, yet quite opposite Diagnostic Radiography.

Being an undergraduate I'm completely unfamiliar with the masters route but I would imagine it is something that would be quite hard to get in to. Masters courses do exist for radiography in the UK and are 1-2 years of solid graft (you literally squeeze a 3 year degree into a short time!).

On my course at the moment there are people with previous degrees in biomedical science, nursing, psychology, biology and they chose the undergrad route as it is much easier to get into.

Regarding the work experience it is a must if you are applying to anywhere in the UK and as far as I know it is not a requirement for UCD/TCD but they recommend it. Its very easy to get work experience in any of the main hospitals here, just contact HR or even ring up the radiology/xray dept and you will be guided from there. Do it in the both fields...diagnostic and radiotherapy. They are both completely different!

Regarding your pregnancy and getting work experience it would probably depend on how far along you are. If you are intending to apply for something this coming september then you should probably get on it now. If not then you could hold off till afterwards. Pregnant workers in radiation environments are subject to all sorts of regulations and are limited to the kinds of examinations they can perform. Saying that masses of research exist showing that there is a little or none at all chance of any "damage" or exposure to radiation to a fetus for pregnant workers/patients, everything is done as a precautionary measure and to satisfy health and safety laws ;)

PROS Fantastic career opportunities, degree is basically a passport to work abroad too (though the USA is pretty difficult!), nice pay and nice working hours (when you initially qualify night work/irregular hours are expected of you!), "learn on the job" in university- its usually 50-50 between academic study in university and learning out in the hospitals. Lots of room for advancement, can move up the scale from a basic radiographer/radiotherapist to an advanced practitioner (who can report on xrays like the radiologist dr's, supervise departments, responsible for training students etc).

Cons Its like studying a medical degree without becoming a doctor ;) Its a lot of hard work, involves study of anatomy, physiology, physics and maths (everyone panics about this but its actually alright and quite basic!). That is the only con I have at the moment and its probably due to the amount of work I have to do for exams in a week :p

Regarding being a mature student, it will never be a problem, there are people in their 30's, even 50's, married, kids, part time jobs you name it studying and its the same everywhere. So yes there are 40 year olds doing what I do :)

Hey UndertheBridge, sent u a quick pm there with some questions about radiography. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 41 scatriona

Hi there, I returned as a mature student (33) to do Diagnostic Radiography, PM me if you have any specific questions.

Scat

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jenny15

Hi everyone,

I am 29 this years, i want to change my career, big interest in radiology can anyone advice me what level do i have to start with. I have been trying to look online but there is a lot of it and i am totally confused. If you could mention some college or university to start with as well.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Advertisement