Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance Dublin 1

Options
  • 12-05-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi.I'm moving to Dublin 1 in a couple of weeks and I know that rent allowance is done through the post in this area but nobody can tell me where I can pick up a rent allowance pack or where to post it to.As usual, it is impossible to get anybody on the phone there.If anybody could tell me where to go that would be great.Also,has anybody recently applied for rent allowance in this area?How long did it take to process?Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/dublinlobopostcodes.aspx#dub1

you go to the community welfare officer in kings inn street, they usually sit in the morning, you dont get a "pack",

you inform the CWO where you are living they give you two forms to fill in - rent allowance and supplementary allowance forms

they will also come visit your place to make sure it is suitable, they will tell you when they are coming so you will be there

make sure it is within the rent allowance limits for the dublin area also or you will be refused , the link below has the limits

http://www.welfare.ie/en/schemes/supplementarywelfareallowance/pages/rentsupplement.aspx

you also need to apply to be on the dublin city council housing list, go to fishamble street to the council office and get an application form once it is filled in, return it and you will eventually get an interview to assess your housing needs

best of luck its a full time job in itself applying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 karen234

Is applying to be on the housing list a new thing?I've never had to do that before.Thank you for your answer.How long did the whole process take you before you got paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Go to health center,you can get ra pack from receptionist, you need to get on housing list .GO to council office wood quay,big grey building,on the left side,go round the back, housing section , is on ground floor,rear of building, just to the right of reception .first door on the right.
    You press button on ticket machine,wait for your no on screen to go to
    counter.
    I think housing office is open 10am til 4pm.
    TO get ra you need bank a/c statement,letter from council re housing list,
    photo id.
    THE ra pack has more detailed info in it.
    the dublin 1 health centre , beside shops, near end of summerhill road,
    ten mins walk from o,connell street.ON the left side,as you walk away from city centre.

karen234 wrote: »
    Is applying to be on the housing list a new thing?I've never had to do that before.Thank you for your answer.How long did the whole process take you before you got paid?

nope not a new thing and a necessity if your not on it they wont give you rent allowance, also you need to be renting for 6mths privately to be eligible also

as I was renting for 6mths before hand and i was also on the housing list so it wasnt a big wait, however when i relocated to where i am now i had to change housing lists and i applied in feb and didnt get the interview until may, but i got a letter off them saying that i had applied and the cwo was okay with that as she knew there was a waiting list

oh and your social welfare payment will be in the post office once a week and depending on how your rent allowance area works it usually is in the post office on the last thursday of every month

I've been on rent allowance since 2009 and on rent allowance in Dublin since 2011.The last time I moved and had to reapply was in January and I've never been told I need to go on the housing list.Thank you for all your help and I'm so sorry for all the questions but it's just all news to me.

• Advertisement

Well i never heard of someone, getting ra, without being on housing list.Maybe welfare officer was busy, forgot to tell you, and just pushed your application, ra thru.REnt allowance is supposed to be a temporary
    payment to help you while your income is low,to pay rent until
    you get council housing or your income increases .
    the rental pack says,you,ll need to get on housing list.

Three different welfare officers in two different counties must have forgotten and pushed my application through in that case.

Well my advice is get rental pack, read the info ,re documents needed,
    then go straight to council housing office ,wood quay, on the quays,on the left, its about 5mins walk from temple bar, same side as temple bar.

if you look on ra form it says are you on local authority housing list?.
    I just got a letter from council, cos i need to fill in form, to apply for rent allowance.now i just need to get photo id.
    i presume my ra would be declined if i don,t have the letter from the council,re i,m on housing list.
    The paperwork is the easiest thing, getting a flat is the hard part.
    i,m only giving you the info i have, i know 4 landlords in dublin, so i know a little bit bout rent allowance,council rules etc
    i got a rental pack last week.
    you may need letter ,from council,stating ,im on the housing list.

karen they probably just presumed you where on housing list, you should be on it either way for your own benefit anyway, maybe it was overlooked for what ever reason but this move you may not be so lucky so for yourself i'd go down and apply

they SEEM to have increased the documents required,
    ie bank statement,photo id,rent book, i presume this is to prevent fraud.
    I don,t know if its true ,i heard story of people flying in from other countrys to collect the dole, those people are getting paid rent allowance.
    when the ash cloud stopped flights ,some people were unable to sign on, cos they live outside ireland.
    There are certainly people out there getting ra ,
    who should not be getting it.
    I think its harder to get ra then it was 5 years ago.
    ra pack says you WILL need these documents,along with your application forms filled in.

• Advertisement

IF you want to get a flat from the council, its in your interest to get on the housing list anyway.

Thank you for all of your help.I'll go down and see what the story is anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 legovelt

Hi I was asked by the D1 rent office (by mail) to send in a PRTB letter of registration from the landlord of the bedsit I moved into. The agent gave me a registration of property letter instead as he is waiting on the PRTB letter of to be processed. Is this normal to be asked just for the PRTB as proof of ownership from the rent office?
    I've been waiting probably 6 weeks on this from the land lord :(

Would anyone know the time it takes for the PRTB office to process a registration?

if he has a mortgage he could give you a letter from the bank, or some other document or copy of a document . stating he owns the house.

Advertisement