Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N0b question, re skype

Options
  • 12-05-2012 5:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

I want my mom to get a Skype phone as she does be calling my mobile here in the UK and the charges are ridiculous

she doesn't know anything about phones, and i am not to familiar with the fees and charges in Ireland.

can anyone point me towards a package that would do this? i am thinking of 3 Ireland and the galaxy y.

what monthly rates are needed for this bearing in mine my mom will not be using the internet, its purely for Skype.

I have no idea on o2, etc I assume 3 would be the best?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭kirving

The Galaxy Y is crap. It has a rubbish screen, and it's slow, so doesn't support video calls. Not that you say you need that, but it gives an indication as to how slow the phone is.

If she wants to call you regularly when she is out, a data packages is a must(particularly is she wants to recieve calls as the phone will always be connected).

Not too sure which network is offering the best data package, but I'm with Meteor and it's fine. You're talking 20 a month I'd imagine.

Would a home-phone only option work, something like this? http://shop.skype.com/intl/en-ie/phones/cordless-router/rtx-dualphone-4088-white/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

H3GI have unlimited data and free Skype calls once she tops up by €20. Valid for 30 days after you topup. H3GI have a Skype service as well as the standalone app you can download.

More info:http://ask3.three.ie/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?St=19,E=0000000000003067945,K=7593,Sxi=3,T=CaseDoc,Case=obj(2277)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

no bb line so a hand Skype set is out

moving towards 3 i think, what other handsets are useful? my mom doesn't need a sgs2...!:p

the galaxy y might do...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What is needed here? Is she ringing from an Eircom line to your mobile?

If she just wants to ring you from a landline then the best plan would be to use something like Telesavers and to have you ring her back!

If she has a landline, then a low end BB setup would be as cheap and probably more reliable than a smartphone setup where she was only using Skype.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

Three have it for €289. It is upgrade able to Android 4.0 (That probably doesn't bother your Mom!) That's Three's cheapest phone. It is a pretty decent phone and has a nice design. Would she mind a touch screen? Would she mind a smartphone? Three used to have a basic Samsung phone for €39 and it had a front facing camera. I can't find it any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

What I would suggest is that assuming you have a smart phone or broadband in the UK you get a PAYG account with Blueface, it will only cost you a €5 or €10 top up to set up a new account with them. They have apps for android and iphone. Or you can set up a cordless phone via an ATA connected to your home broadband router.

You get a Irish non-geographic (076) number included with the PAYG account which is local call rate from any Irish phone. Depending on what phone bundle your mum has calls may be free within the bundle or may not but the most she will be paying is a local call rate.

Seems like the easiest solution for your mum as she has nothing to buy and it costs very little for you to set up if you have BB or a smart phone.

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement