Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Current Unlocking Methods For iPhone 4s?

• 12-05-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I have just gotten a second hand iPhone 4S which is locked to the Vodafone network. I hate Vodafone and would never join them.

Is there any way that I can unlock my iPhone 4S at the moment ?

I already know about the SAM method which no longer works because Apple have caught on. I also know about the Gevey SIM adapter thing but I'm not crazy about doing it that way. So apart from those methods is there any other way I can get my Tesco Mobile sim working? It is iOS 5.0.1 and BB 1.0.14.

I already rang Vodafone and was told their is no hope of a factory unlock unless I join them for 6 months and spend 120 euro on credit. I'm not doing that!

If their is no other way right now then does anyone know if there is even something in the works like from redsn0w or ultrasn0w or whatever?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

IMC042 wrote: »
    I have just gotten a second hand iPhone 4S which is locked to the Vodafone network. I hate Vodafone and would never join them.

Is there any way that I can unlock my iPhone 4S at the moment ?

I already know about the SAM method which no longer works because Apple have caught on. I also know about the Gevey SIM adapter thing but I'm not crazy about doing it that way. So apart from those methods is there any other way I can get my Tesco Mobile sim working? It is iOS 5.0.1 and BB 1.0.14.

I already rang Vodafone and was told their is no hope of a factory unlock unless I join them for 6 months and spend 120 euro on credit. I'm not doing that!

If their is no other way right now then does anyone know if there is even something in the works like from redsn0w or ultrasn0w or whatever?

if you know someone on vodafone bill pay they get three free unlock codes, and you can unlock phone that way FOC

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

Yeah the woman on the phone told me that aswell but I literally don't know one person who is with Vodafone! :(

Anybody on here with Vodafone get me an unlock ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

You can get it done for about 80 quid I think on unlockguru.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

How exactly did you get a 'second hand' iPhone? Or rather the question is why didn't the owner unlock it before they sold it? Or... why didn't/don't you just ask them to do it?

EDIT: Post was deleted so removed the warning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

TBi wrote: »

Also the post right above this looks like a sales pitch rather than help.

Guil is a long time poster on here so no need to assume anything other than a helpful post.

• Advertisement

to be fair there was anther post that must of being deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

TBi wrote: »
    How exactly did you get a 'second hand' iPhone? Or rather the question is why didn't the owner unlock it before they sold it? Or... why didn't/don't you just ask them to do it?

Also the post right above this looks like a sales pitch rather than help.

I'm sorry. Turns out that the phone is locked to the o2 network not Vodafone. It must have been a prepay when it was bought because it is only 7 months old. Either that or the person that bought it is still on contract paying for it. It looks like it was never even used.

o2 gave me a microsim so at least the phone is working now. I ordered the Gevey SIM for a tenner on ebay so i'll see how that goes now.
    guil wrote: »
    You can get it done for about 80 quid I think on unlockguru.co.uk

That's just a rip off and I wouldn't trust those websites either. But thanks! ;)

Some users here have used it before and it gives you a proper network unlock so updating won't lock the phone again

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cookmeister

I ordered the Gevey SIM for a tenner on ebay so i'll see how that goes now.

Hi, I'm looking to unlock my 4s and since I cant get O2 to unlock it until I spend €150 credit I looking towards the Gevey sim. Just wondering how did you get on using it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I ordered the Gevey SIM for a tenner on ebay so i'll see how that goes now.

Hi, I'm looking to unlock my 4s and since I cant get O2 to unlock it until I spend €150 credit I looking towards the Gevey sim. Just wondering how did you get on using it?
    Are you sure O2 will unlock when you've spent €150 credit as surly the imei is on their system registered to a different number and name?

• Advertisement

In the past O2 would process an unlock even if the phone wasn't registered to you at purchase as long as you had topped up 150 over x amount of months. Obviously they some procedure in place to stop you getting a number of iPhones unlocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

guil wrote: »
    In the past O2 would process an unlock even if the phone wasn't registered to you at purchase as long as you had topped up 150 over x amount of months. Obviously they some procedure in place to stop you getting a number of iPhones unlocked
    Interesting, do you need to give them the imei as soon as you start using it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Was with o2 before. They approved unlocks immediately when in contract. Changed the handset mid contract, informed them of the IMEI change, and got that unlocked too. Thay was over 2 yrs ago. Dunno if still applicable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I'm with vodafone and they seem to know the IMEI of any phone I put my sim card into. Obviously the IMEI is sent to them when you turn the phone on.

Advertisement