Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone problems

• 12-05-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

Can anyone help! I have changed over from eircom to vodafone for my home phone and broadband, then the problems have began. To start with i am now on my 4th router from them and its is still loosing the connection with wireless and wired. Vodafone have been changing setting and this still don't help, the problem is that if i connect my eircom router up, it works fine with no problems! Why is this?

The other problem is the broadband speed. I was getting 3mg from eircom with no problems, i then changed and got 3mg for all of one month, now i only get 1.7mg. I have phone up and been told thats all i will get! Why is this?

The last problem is the bad customer service, i have been cut off time and time again! between them all in customer service, i get different reason to problems and they don't even get anything sorted out!.

I have only been with them two months and now wish i never left eircom. Can anyone help with the issues with router and slow broadband speed? the phoneline has not be replaced so there is no reason for vodafone to be slower!

Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

First things first if the eircom modem works use it. I hate vodas modems with a passion and theres no reason to use it to be honest.

You'll need to post you line stats to see if you can defiantly get 3Mb (just to be sure). Dont know what eircom modem you have but to access the modem go to 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1 password may be broadband1 if asked. Yor looking for stuff like downstream and noise margin stuff like that just copy or screen shot what you see. Any issues post back with your model and can be more specific

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NT1

Here are my stats off the Vodafone router:

CurrRate(kbps) 256-Upstream 2048-Drownstream
    MaxRate(kbps) 1216-upstream 3744-Downstream
    NoiseMargin(dB) 18-Upstream 14.6-Downstream
    Attenuation(dB) 53-Upstream 29-Downstream
    Power(dBm) 0.2-Upstream 15.6-Downstream

Does this stats help?

My Eircom router is giving the same reading. I have been onto to voadafone again and they are telling me they know i used to have 3mg, but i wont get that any more because my line cant take it. why the change within two weeks? They are also telling me they wont put it up! I wish i never changed i never to them now.

Can you shed any light onto this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Disconnect all devices from your line (phones, faxes, skyboxes etc.) and connect your modem to the MDP (main phone point).
    Check your line stats then, if they seem better, call your provider and see if they can raise the speed.
    If that works, make sure you have all your phones etc. connected through filters, with the exception of the modem.

Also get your provider to test the line to see if there's any faults on it.

What firmware version is on your modem?

here are my new stats-

CurrRate(kbps) 256-Upstream 2048-Downstream
    MaxRate(kbps) 1280-Upstream 5568-Downstream
    NoiseMargin(dB) 21.0-Upstream 12.8-DownStream
    Attenuation(dB) 49.0-Upstream 26.0-DownStream
    Power(dBm) 0.4-Upstream 9.4-Downstream

There is a difference by connecting it to the main point. Would this explain why Vodafone are saying my line cant take the speed? I am using filters in the house already. My wife phone Vodafone again today and they are telling her that they will not put the speed back up as the line cant take it.

where do i go from here as i am not have much luck. Also would the maxrate mean my line can take alot more? Or is the stats just a one off with difference?

Your downstream attenuation suggests that you could get a little higher than what the Max Speed is reporting. Are you sure all other devices are disconnected while you're checking the modem on the main point? If so, there may be a slight fault with your line. In which case, your ISP could test the line and book a repair if necessary.
    Otherwise, as the Max Speed value indicates, they should be able to increase the profile you're set to.

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply, I will have to ring them again tomorrow, Vodafone are becoming hard work to get anything sorted out.

I have all my equipment connected to the line, ie - home phone, two sky boxes, and router, there is nothing else connected. i am getting same results with nothing connected and connected.

what else can i do if vodafone keep saying no?

Been onto Vodafone today again and being told my line cant handle the speed that i used to have! I have asked them why i used to have 3mg and over with Eircom and then when i switched over to vodafone i had the same, but then in the last two weeks i have lost the speed. They said that my line cant take it and that is it! They said i would of never get 3mg. I have said that there must be a fault with the line then! They said there is nothing wrong and the speed i have will not change.

What can i do from here?

I would not recommend Vodafone to anyone as there service is poor!

I am now two months into my contract with them, so i have another 10 Months before i can change ISP again.

If there is anyone who has any ideas how to get this sorted out then please help!

Would have to agree you might be able to get more speed but it may be pushing it. See the way it works is there is an initial test on the line to see what it can handle thats done automatically and that sets your speed, the person on the end may not even be able to increase your speed. Your pushing it with those stats if you did get 3mb

i used to get better speeds no problem, looks like i will just have to put up with it

oh and another thing, my wife phone vodafone in the morning and was told on the phone they would put it up, when i got home from work this still was not done, i phone them and they said it wont go up! its a different story from different people.

• Advertisement

The person sometimes has to request an increase in speed and tey may be told to get lost by the system, they have very little control over it in may ways

ok, Its a shame UPC cant provide where i am, as i would get good speed then

NT1 wrote: »
    ok, Its a shame UPC cant provide where i am, as i would get good speed then

dont say that I signed up with them last week have called 3 times between being charged wrong and faults but 25mb is great :p

25mg would be great as i do alot of xbox live gaming and skype to family. Is satellite broadband any good?

Yeah for the xbox its great downloading and playing at the same time. Never used it to be honest I hear it has disgusting ping times so would be bad for skype and xbox live. I know someone that has wireless in the country it was put in by eircom originally but their with http://www.gaelictelecom.ie/ now their getting 8Mb with a half decent ping, fine for xbox and everything. I live 3km for the center of waterford and got 3mb they live about 20km an were on 8 :rolleyes:

Been onto Vodafone today again and being told my line cant handle the speed that i used to have! I have asked them why i used to have 3mg and over with Eircom and then when i switched over to vodafone i had the same, but then in the last two weeks i have lost the speed. They said that my line cant take it and that is it! They said i would of never get 3mg. I have said that there must be a fault with the line then! They said there is nothing wrong and the speed i have will not change.

What can i do from here?

I am now two months into my contract with them, so i have another 10 Months before i can change ISP again.

If there is anyone who has any ideas how to get this sorted out then please help!
    Give Comreg/ a shout. Threaten to cancel, and see if they can then oblige.
    Doylers wrote: »
    See the way it works is there is an initial test on the line to see what it can handle thats done automatically and that sets your speed, the person on the end may not even be able to increase your speed.
    Prequals can be bypassed. They can change it, some may not know how, so push it.
    Your pushing it with those stats if you did get 3mb
    Over 5.7 attainable. 3mb is doable.
    The person sometimes has to request an increase in speed and tey may be told to get lost by the system, they have very little control over it in may ways
    Not the case with the majority of DSL providers, I'd find it extremely hard to believe OP's ISP can't change it.
    Is satellite broadband any good?
    For Skype and xBox? Hell no. It's not even broadband, it's midband, and useless for those kinds of uses.
    I live 3km for the center of waterford and got 3mb they live about 20km an were on 8 :rolleyes:

Probably different exchanges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Hi,

I had the exact same issue as you and goto to the vodafone rep and they could not of been better.
    My stats where similar to yours was told by the normal tech service cant up your speed but after talking to the rep hear I got a call from there 3rd level support and they sorted it for me is does take a couple of days.
    You could get 5mb on that line have a look at my stats

adslctl info --stats
    adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
    Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 512 Kbps, Downstream rate = 5120 Kbps
    Link Power State: L0
    Mode: G.DMT
    Channel: Interleave
    Trellis: ON
    Line Status: No Defect
    Training Status: Showtime
    Down Up
    SNR (dB): 6.2 20.0
    Attn(dB): 54.5 31.5
    Pwr(dBm): 19.6 12.2
    Max(Kbps): 5600 1168
    Rate (Kbps): 5120 512

This is the important one you do not want this dropping below 6 without a very good modem.
    The best of the bunch being the Billion Bipac 7800n but its expensive.
    Im using a similar one (same chipset) which is the netgear DGN2000.
    I think it was darren I was speaking too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Looking at your stats they are acutally better than mine before I got the speed upped.
    MY SNR was 12 I think but the attenation was 53.5
    It's well doable for you really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭IrishPsychic

What can i do from here?

One word COMREG

You signed a contract stating what you were supposed to be getting now you are not getting it but were with Eircom no excuses read my posts on VODAFONE I have 10 euro left on my account and Im gonnnnnnnne faster then the wind the rudest customer service - excuses all the time - they stole 80 euro from me saying my phone connected to the internet and in 5 minutes took 80 euro? I said even a land-line speed doesnt go that fast they said oh well it did connect...I was sick of it one E-MAIL to COMREG they will sort you out and will deal with it pronto and trust me the minute you mention Vodafone they will know exactly what you are going to say!

UPC allot of people go to but again I wouldn't change mine I am with Eircom no problems at all maybe 2 in the last yr speed is constant at 7mb and we have an old line - It does me fine

Im switching my normal mobile phone over to Tesco read the offers they give if you are wondering about mobiles but for your case because its internet and broadband COMREG will listen to you and will get you out of your contract if you are not been offered what you have been told.

Please PM me if you like after done and all sorted hope I have helped in some way.

Irish-Psychic

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DDempsey

To all new Vodafone users who have transferred from Eircom and are having a problem latching onto and maintaining their broadband link to the internet, the following solution worked for me::D

Instead of using the new black modem, go back to using your original/old Eircom SILVER/GREY modem. :p

The black one Vodafone supply doesn't do it! :mad:

In case this is a matter of location - I am in the Gorey area.:cool:

I got this tip from my local Carphone Warehouse.;)

Please pass the message on, since I spent months trying to resolve this and tried everything I could find on the internet without success, apart from this.;)

All and any feedback much appreciated. :)

• Advertisement

Still having problems with vodafone broadband speed, they still wont do nothing for me. i have even been into a vodafone shop and they don't want to know! I have been told again that the speed i have is all i will get. i have changed around routers but that wont make a difference if they don't up the speed! All i get told is the system wont let them up the speed!

If anyone that uses this forum and works for Vodafone then please help because my internet is very slow! every person i have spoken to in vodafone is no help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

Yep,I have had constant problems with vodafone at home..worse decision was to renew with them.

Everyday I am having problems with speed and connections.

Im trying to move away from them

Never again

Advertisement