Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone dilemma

Options
  • 12-05-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello, hope someone could help!

I have decided that I'm going to get an iPhone, and I was wondering would I be better getting a bill pay (€49, then about €65 a month unlimited), or buy a sim-free iPhone 4S and stick to pre-pay?

I really appreciate any replies! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I've always gone bill pay anyway. You sure you need the unlimited package? There are packages with lots of calls text and data now for around €40 a month and with iMessage and viber you can sent free texts to most people.

I don't like paying €600 up front and it works out around the same after 2 year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 littlerose2

Well it was recommended to me by the lady in the shop, but I saw that I could download Viber and Jellysms, so maybe I can get the €49 a month one? I was thinking of just moving to bill pay as I am spending a good bit on credit per month...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Well it was recommended to me by the lady in the shop, but I saw that I could download Viber and Jellysms, so maybe I can get the €49 a month one? I was thinking of just moving to bill pay as I am spending a good bit on credit per month...

Being honest, for the vast majority of people, going with a bill pay contract will work out cheaper over the long run. What you want to be careful of is falling into the trap of selecting too high a monthly option in order to get a cheaper handset price.

As regards bill pay versus prepay, you will be crucified on data charges if you go prepay, unless there's one of the networks doing some sort of add-on bundle of data. And not a pissy little 250mb one. I'd suggest at least a gig to be able to use the phone to its full potential. Not necessarily because you'll always use near a gig but because you don't want to have to be checking it constantly and find you have to stop using the data features with 10 days left till your bundle renews.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You won't get better advice than this right here.

• Advertisement

I would be spending about €40 - €45 a month as I am on free texts and data for my BB. I know that the extra charges would be the data if I go over my limit, and my texts would be the big thing - most smaller plans only give you 300 a month.

Thanks a million for the advice, I'm reflecting over what everyone has said! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There was a thread that compared all the various carriers and their packages a while back. Search and ye shall find.

The job thing has really got me thinking... I will probably go for a PAYG in the end, job is not 100% secure atm... But I really want an iPhone! :p

I was looking at the PAYG plans alright, I'll be saving up for a SIM-Free iPhone for a long time... cheapest is €600 from what I can find...

• Advertisement
Advertisement