Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is the fly fishing going?

Options
  • 12-05-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Havent had time to get out yet, :( was wondering how the trout are biting ?

anything much happening in the North East?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

ifi do updates on fbook twitter and own website, weather still too cold everywhere, mayfly still not up on corrib/mask

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭goss101

was out on sat and only 2 hours yesterday morning as it was blowing a gale on lough ree and got 4 trout dapping, best was 3lb 11 oz and smallest 1lb, fish are in great condition and plenty of fly, the wind is all over the place though, i'm sure i would have got a few more yest if it wasn't so windy but not bad going anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

@coolhandspan - no argument that the weather has been brutal but the mayfly are well up on Corrib. I've been fishing them for the last few weeks and some of the guys reckon the dap is nearly over. I haven't seen massive hatches like I've done in previous years but there are plenty of fly about.

Tried to fish yesterday but wind was too high, went out for an hour or so but wasn't comfortable with the size of the waves and the strengthening wind so we called it a day early. Didn't see so much as a rise :(

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Thanks Caribs , if mayfly is over then we could be in for a terrible season.. i didnt see any mayfly on corrib yet this year.

Any one hear if mayfly are up on sheelin yet

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Racha78

What is the story with rivers? Liffey? Boyne?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Don't think the hatches are over just yet and hopefully it will be like last year where there were intermittent hatches all during the summer. The fishing has been very good on the dap when you can get out.

Watch out when on the Corrib though, water levels are very low at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Racha78 wrote: »
    What is the story with rivers? Liffey? Boyne?
    The River Liffey has been in flood a lot of late so it is not too often i get to fish on it. I had some good fishing when i did get to fish it, Iron Blue Duns, Large Dark Olives and the Blacks Gnats being the main fly hatches at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

goss101 wrote: »
    was out on sat and only 2 hours yesterday morning as it was blowing a gale on lough ree and got 4 trout dapping, best was 3lb 11 oz and smallest 1lb, fish are in great condition and plenty of fly, the wind is all over the place though, i'm sure i would have got a few more yest if it wasn't so windy but not bad going anyway!!

good fishin that!!! was out on ree last tues evening, hatch was over, dry-flyed till near 9pm, nothing, went fri afternoon plenty of fly dapped till 6pm got 1 fish 1lb 8oz or so, released, went sunday till 4pm or so rose one on dapp but didnt set hook,(horrible day) ....some great fishing on the lake but i'm not gettin it:D, prob wont get up till sunday next now:rolleyes:

still cold in evenings, no sign of spinners yet,

was out again yesterday on logh ree, wind was a whoor again, pure north and snotty enough, i found a nice spot on the leinster shore, there was a huge hatch of fly from around 12 o clock on, i fished till 5.15, got 3, one was a half pound, one 2 lb and biggest was 3lb 14 oz, good days fishing and seen a few other fish, only taking the odd fly, but with the wind it was hard to see a take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

wgsten wrote: »
    The River Liffey has been in flood.

Who are you telling, I have been unable to get out for the last two weekends.
    I must renew my Dodder anglers permit. Can't afford to be loosing to many weekends.

• Advertisement

was out again yesterday on logh ree, wind was a whoor again, pure north and snotty enough, i found a nice spot on the leinster shore, there was a huge hatch of fly from around 12 o clock on, i fished till 5.15, got 3, one was a half pound, one 2 lb and biggest was 3lb 14 oz, good days fishing and seen a few other fish, only taking the odd fly, but with the wind it was hard to see a take.

its fishing well i'm hearing alright, prob wont get up till sunday now, spinners might make an appearance next week, will try get a few evenings

forgot to mention i caught a pike on a dry fly yesterday:D:rolleyes:... i reckon its a waste of time fishing that river down from the town!!! never caught a trout down there!!! and the big bream seem to be gone now too, of course theyve been decimated by you know who!!!!!!

the meadows was for yrs a renowned course fishing hotspot, sadly no more!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Who are you telling, I have been unable to get out for the last two weekends.
    I must renew my Dodder anglers permit. Can't afford to be loosing to many weekends.
    I have also missed out on a few weekends , so i fished on the river Barrow for Shad last weekend. I posted a full report on the outing here

bayliner wrote: »
    its fishing well i'm hearing alright, prob wont get up till sunday now, spinners might make an appearance next week, will try get a few evenings

yeah looking to get a bit of spent gnat meself but these cold evenings aren't going to help it, and supposed to be east wind for the next few days which is always a whoor.

yeah i remember fishing down by the meadows years ago and they'd be heaps of lads out lined up coarse fishing, but as you said been cleaned out by our good EU friends!

yeah looking to get a bit of spent gnat meself but these cold evenings aren't going to help it, and supposed to be east wind for the next few days which is always a whoor.

yeah i remember fishing down by the meadows years ago and they'd be heaps of lads out lined up coarse fishing, but as you said been cleaned out by our good EU friends!

yeah we need the temp to rise considerably for the spinners!! its been a cold month!! there were warmer days in march:D

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

Thanks for the replies guys, always take a look at the local river whenever i am passing and it seems very low considering the amount of rain we have had at different times....and then there was those showers of hailstones this week...its May for god's sake !!!

Advertisement