Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placing elec monitor transmitter in ESB meter box?

Options
  • 12-05-2012 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to check on here... i got an owl elec monitor as a gift and wanted to place the transmitter in the esb meter box (outside on side of the house) but i can remember somewhere on here there was a post that the meter box is off limits and when the guys meter was read, the meter reader sent out an esb crew to investigate the "Yolk" attached to the live wire on the house side of the meter in the meter box. (this was a while back... maybe 2-3 years ago)

The last thing i want is the esb techs out here... it this still an issue or can i just go ahead and clamp the clamp onto the live after the meter and screw mount the transmitter inside the meter box? Have others on here done it this way with no probs or hassle from esb?

I was thinking about clamping onto the live inside the fuse box inside the utility room, but there is just not enough room to replace the ABB fuse box face back on the front if i did... its tight in there! - so no go.

(Just on a side note before anyone asks... electrical competent so now probs in doing the work myself)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You dont have to put the entire unit into the mcb board, just the clamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Its just the clamp i had in the MCB - theres just no room in there to place the cover back on with clamp in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

it's prob not allowed in the cabinet-strictly speaking

it was discussed before and i appreciate the op here is competent electrically

it seems dodgy to me anyhow -householders trying to fit these things

Access wrote: »
    Its just the clamp i had in the MCB - theres just no room in there to place the cover back on with clamp in place.

How is that? It must be a single row board jam packed maybe.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    How is that? It must be a single row board jam packed maybe.

Its a twin row ABB unit... and there would technically be room to put the clamp in there on the master live coming in, but i would have to force cables out of the way to wrap the clamp around the required live wire and personally i don't want to force any sort of heavy gauge cables under any circumstances... so ive made the call that i wont be doing that... not worth it if a cable got pulled/damaged just because i wanted to fit the clamp in a tight area in the unit.

Just wondering how other elec monitor users have fitted theirs.

• Advertisement

Its a twin row ABB unit... and there would technically be room to put the clamp in there on the master live coming in, but i would have to force cables out of the way to wrap the clamp around the required live wire and personally i don't want to force any sort of heavy gauge cables under any circumstances... so ive made the call that i wont be doing that... not worth it if a cable got pulled/damaged just because i wanted to fit the clamp in a tight area in the unit.

Just wondering how other elec monitor users have fitted theirs.

Well i do actually have one, and here is the transmitter
    PICT0249.jpg

Thats exactly how i would like to mount it robbie7730, nice neat job there... where in the unit do you have the clamp attached robbie?

Here is my unit for comparison...

7205838462_4d9dc56674.jpg

7205820608_55b5d843e7.jpg

7205804516_e01e4cd508.jpg

The only two points i can see that would be okay to attach the clamp would be the two marked in the pic below... the main live into the master trip (tight area) or the loop out the top of same - but the loop is very tight.

Would i be right on this or is there anywhere else i could attach the clamp for the same proper readings for the transmitter? Thanks for any help with this.

7205849190_00bff6da36.jpg

Yea i have it on the bottom one that you have marked there.

If you got a bit of 16sq flex and ferrules, you could replace the top loop you have marked there with a longer piece to make fitting the clamp easy.

This is for competent people only.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its far safer imo to put it in the meter box. Its not perfect but more chance of a shock from trying to place it at the board. These are getting more popular all the time, so meter readers should know what they are, and not be reporting them. I have had one for about 4 years in a meter cabinet without a problem

Davy wrote: »
    Its far safer imo to put it in the meter box. Its not perfect but more chance of a shock from trying to place it at the board. These are getting more popular all the time, so meter readers should know what they are, and not be reporting them. I have had one for about 4 years in a meter cabinet without a problem

Yea i think this thing of them complaining about them in the meter box is a bit silly.

• Advertisement

When i got home from work i was chatting with my neighbour and was telling him about the elec monitor in conversation and he was intrigued by it when i showed it to him.

I was telling him about my predicament about fitting it in either the meter box or the MCB.

My neighbours brother in law happens to be an electrician and is calling to my neighbours house to do a small job tomorrow so i have roped him into properly installing the clamp in the MCB.

Will let ye know how he gets on tomorrow.

* Just on a side note... your wood gear clock robbie is pretty cool! nice work... was it a labour of love or was it handy enough to make?

* Just on a side note... your wood gear clock robbie is pretty cool! nice work... was it a labour of love or was it handy enough to make?

It was handy enough to cut out the parts. A bit tricky to get the gear shafts perfectly in line in the frame. I just did it for the challenge to see could i get it working. I just cut out a gear here and there the odd day, and then the frames. Works very well which was a bonus. Too much time on my hands, literally in this case.

Got sorted!

And all it cost me was a cup of tea and a few choccy biscuits!

He basically placed it on the lower side of the main trip... and did a very neat job of making room for the clamp... which i would have not even thought of and he fed the clamp wire neatly up and out of the top of the unit and mounted it next to the unit on the wall like yours robbie.

Its nicely and neatly done and im happy with it... it nice to have a fresh pair of eyes to sort a problem like that.

Thanks for all the help on this one.

* sorry to go off topic again, but where would a man get the plans of the clock robbie?... too much time on my hands and looking to tackle a project like that... thanks again

* sorry to go off topic again, but where would a man get the plans of the clock robbie?... too much time on my hands and looking to tackle a project like that... thanks again

I will get back to you on that, i have some of them. I just improvised on part of it as well.

Advertisement