Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What type of person annoys you the most?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

Motorist wrote: »
    Ridiculously descriptive to be a "type" of person. Basically you know a guy who is the above and he annoys you deeply for some reason, probably because he got one over on you at some stage and you're still bitter about it.

Righteous judgemental types who make unreasonable assumptions about people having never even met them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

People who hate smoking.

I hate smoking, no problem saying that. I don't hate smokers, if people want to smoke that's their choice. Unless they blow smoke in my direction or smoke around kids. Or chuck their buts on the ground. Not ok.
    People obsessed with branding themselves... :confused: I just don't get it! Why do you have to get a jumper with 'Hollister' sprayed all over it? Or 'Abercrombie' in big obvious letters across the chest? Or even the Nike Air Max tracksuits?? Then there's the Apple obsession... never bought an Apple product in my life and I don't see why I should get one

Yes, agreed. I don't want to be branded like a cow thank's with product/company names on me. I buy trackies for running and I take off the brand labels off them when I can as I'm not interested in providing free advertising for multi-billion Euro corporations.
    I think it smacks of insecurity and a conformist mindset with a lack of creativity or imagination wanting people to notice what brand you wear/use. How individual and cool you are to want to show off brands that millions of others have! lol

I don't get the Apple obsession either.

It's definitely the smug liberal that grates me more than the ignorant lout. It's probably down to being middle class so I come across the liberals more than the bigots (although that's certainly debatable :D). When I meet the bigots I tend to find it more amusing than anything but I accept that I don't have to put up with the sort daily.

What grinds me about the smug liberal is:

1) The patronising way they pick up on everything you say and if you discuss a certain group of people, or God forbid an ethnic group, they'll jump to their defence no matter what's happened. Oh well they're not all like that. It won't even be a criticism. It'll be like the Polish builders we had recently have been great, they were such hard workers. Oh well they're not all like that, you'll get hard working Irish builders too :rolleyes: Which of course there is but a passing comment doesn't need to be an argument, usually said in a condescending tone, about nationalities or ethnic groups.

2) Generally are unable to hide their contempt if you are any different to them. Any political statements you make which aren't happy clappy liberal will be analysed and criticised extensively. In fact having a calm discussion with a smug liberal is almost impossible to have nothing because they want to argue about everything.

3) Preaching anti religion and making anti relgious comments at every opportunity which is ironically the thing they hate most about religion. They're strangely defensive about Muslims however although that's probably due to Muslims being the targeted group at the moment.

4) Self loathing is another key factor. Anything resembling national pride or a cultural activity which is common practice in their native country is generally treated with disdain. Cultural cringe. Anything abroad is better.

5) The worst thing about them though is the arrogance. The smugness. The constant oh when I was doing charity work, backpacking, supporting gay rights. It's forever rammed down your throats. Any disinterest is seen as a challenge or is looked at disdainfully. Why aren't you interested? It's your planet. Why aren't you making a difference? Please...

Thank YOU!!! you've just perfectly described every single one of the Occupy Galway camp lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Mod

Bunch of posts deleted, its not fair to single out individual posters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What's the story with **** at seated places/events (bus, plane, cinema, show etc...) sticking there knees in the back of your seat?

Every single thing I go to I end up having to turn around and tell them they're hitting off my chair.

Just those people that go to things/places like that and think it's their sitting room and have no consideration for any people around them.

Oh, and what's the story with the Portuguese? I'm going to Portugal in 3 weeks and I'm worried now! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Tracksuit wearing north dublin knackers

Papists

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

People who talk about other people. My ex-girlfriend would do this. She'd be looking around the room, staring at other people and then start talking about them, while they were still there, about what they were doing or whatever. I can never understand people doing that. I hate talking about other people like that, either infront of them or when they aren't there. It made me very uncomfortable. Infact it pissed me off a great deal, I hate that ****. It's like gossiping and bitching rolled into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Ush1 wrote: »
    What's the story with **** at seated places/events (bus, plane, cinema, show etc...) sticking there knees in the back of your seat?

Every single thing I go to I end up having to turn around and tell them they're hitting off my chair.

Just those people that go to things/places like that and think it's their sitting room and have no consideration for any people around them.

Oh, and what's the story with the Portuguese? I'm going to Portugal in 3 weeks and I'm worried now! ha
    Yes. Makes me want to turn round and punch the head off someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

A particular person who works in a Lidl somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little swift

barstools,sippers and bookie hangers. where the f**k do they get money from is beyound me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    People who are dirty, you know the ones, people who emm have a wash lets say once or twice a year.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

People who refuse to have anything to do with the Northside.

Via SMS:
    People I hate: Hey what you up to tonight?

Me: drinking in <insert northside city centre location here>. You coming? LOL, smiley-face wink wink txtspk

the hated: I want a drink. Fancy meeting up in McSorley's/somewhere horrific on Camden Street instead? kiss
    You want to go out. I'm already out. You're not in a position to dictate terms here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

People who look down on others. Like calling a girl ugly? Your not Zac Efron yourself pal.

And again, judgmental people, I can live with liars but being judgmental is the worst trait you can have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

people who expect everyone in a pub to stop their conversations because some bloke in the corner has decided to play the tin whistle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Particular boardsies who moan about this alleged "ah sure it'll be grand" attitude which supposedly we all use when s*** hits the fan.

Just because i'm not some uptight prick, who is somehow inferior to your brilliant work ethic and morals doesn't make me oblivious to everything in the real world. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

People who Thank really long posts on boards.ie that I couldn't be arsed reading, therefore making me feel lazy, more curious about the post and, since I'm still not going to read it, more frustrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

People who lie about everything to make themselves seem better than they actually are.

People who change themselves completely to impress a group of friends.

People who wont make any decisions until they know what the most popular decision is. The type that when you invite them anywhere, the first thing they say is "who's going?". You either want to go out or you don't, if everyone had that attitude, no one would ever get to leave the house.

People who assume that everything they know about you is everything there is to know about you.

People who think having atheist beliefs makes them better than you, and spout a load of nonsense they read in a book somewhere without realising it can be used to argue the opposite of what they're saying. And when you point this out to them, just think you're being stupid and just can't understand their "scientific" and "logical" ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

firedancer wrote: »
    Thank YOU!!! you've just perfectly described every single one of the Occupy Galway camp lol :D

I don't know why the council don't just grow a pair and move that lot of 1960's hippy wannabees on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Bleeding heart liberals, "ah sure it wasn't his fault he had a tough upbringing" when some lowlife kills or steals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

EdenHazard wrote: »
    People who look down on others. Like calling a girl ugly? Your not Zac Efron yourself pal.

And again, judgmental people, I can live with liars but being judgmental is the worst trait you can have.

People being called "judgemental" puzzles me a little. Does everyone not "judge" other people? Is that not how you distinguish between people you'd like to be friends with and people you'd like to avoid? Or is someone "judgemental" if they say that they don't like others because of certain traits?
    If, for example, I didn't want to be friends with someone because they were a homophobic racist, would that not make me judgemental? If I tell a friend off for cheating on their girlfriend, does that make me judgemental? If I am unattracted to a girl because she is overweight and a smoker, is that judgemental?
    Or should a non-judgemental person look deeper to try to find why someone might be a homophobic racist/cheat/unattractive?
    Or does it centre on me thinking that I am, in some sense, "better" than people who, after a hard upbringing, have turned to crime and drugs (and even worse - dole scrounging! ;):p) ?

Anyway...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76264071&postcount=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's definitely the smug liberal that grates me more than the ignorant lout. It's probably down to being middle class so I come across the liberals more than the bigots (although that's certainly debatable :D). When I meet the bigots I tend to find it more amusing than anything but I accept that I don't have to put up with the sort daily.

What grinds me about the smug liberal is:

1) The patronising way they pick up on everything you say and if you discuss a certain group of people, or God forbid an ethnic group, they'll jump to their defence no matter what's happened. Oh well they're not all like that. It won't even be a criticism. It'll be like the Polish builders we had recently have been great, they were such hard workers. Oh well they're not all like that, you'll get hard working Irish builders too :rolleyes: Which of course there is but a passing comment doesn't need to be an argument, usually said in a condescending tone, about nationalities or ethnic groups.

2) Generally are unable to hide their contempt if you are any different to them. Any political statements you make which aren't happy clappy liberal will be analysed and criticised extensively. In fact having a calm discussion with a smug liberal is almost impossible to have nothing because they want to argue about everything.

3) Preaching anti religion and making anti relgious comments at every opportunity which is ironically the thing they hate most about religion. They're strangely defensive about Muslims however although that's probably due to Muslims being the targeted group at the moment.

4) Self loathing is another key factor. Anything resembling national pride or a cultural activity which is common practice in their native country is generally treated with disdain. Cultural cringe. Anything abroad is better.

5) The worst thing about them though is the arrogance. The smugness. The constant oh when I was doing charity work, backpacking, supporting gay rights. It's forever rammed down your throats. Any disinterest is seen as a challenge or is looked at disdainfully. Why aren't you interested? It's your planet. Why aren't you making a difference? Please...
    Yep, people who are liberal about everything regardless of the facts and decry anything conservative or traditional by default. Usually these are herd mentality middle class trendys. You can suss them out almost immediately and unfortunately they are ****ing everywhere. They adopt their opinions entirely based on how others will perceive them for holding these opinions. They are vapid hollow skin crawl inducing creatures. They like to smoke rollies and wear trilby hats in an ironic manner. Collectively they are known as "****".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

People who are obsessed about their sexuality. I don't just mean angry lesbians and uber camp gay men but people in general who are are defined by their sexual virility or lack of than any other aspect of their lives and think/talk about nothing else. (and misogyny and misandry)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

People who are ignorant to other people..be it poor people moaning about how easy the rich have everything or rich people ignoring and refusing to engage or befriend poor people.

Everyone has a story, live and let live. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Judgmental people. Ironically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grave_robber

Yep, people who are liberal about everything regardless of the facts and decry anything conservative or traditional by default. Usually these are herd mentality middle class trendys. You can suss them out almost immediately and unfortunately they are ****ing everywhere. They adopt their opinions entirely based on how others will perceive them for holding these opinions. They are vapid hollow skin crawl inducing creatures. They like to smoke rollies and wear trilby hats in an ironic manner. Collectively they are known as "****".

herd mentality indeed , they subscribe to a particular set of core beliefs when it comes to various sacred liberal cows

travellers = seen as not toeing conventional middle class or establishment lines and being exotic , anything which is at odds with the hated middle class is cool and trendy
    pallestine
    anti religon bar islam ( islam being at odds with the west and therefore on thier side )
    pro womens rights despite this being totally at odds with islam in many ways
    pro gay rights despite being tottaly at odds with islam in many ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grave_robber

i hate people who feel they have a duty to point out the flaws of other people , those who see it as thier duty to re-educate others to thier own morally correct standard , who pontificate to others about how they should walk , talk and think , the same people often tell you they dont care about what others think yet ironically believe everyone else should care what they themselves think and believe

baschically im refering to self righteous pontificating pricks

I guess that would be everyone in this thread then....and seeing as I dislike judgemental people then I dislike that in myself ..because that is basically what all this means - other people are mirrors of what we see in ourselves and sometimes we don't like what we see, however, it generally means we have recognised that in ourselves and are doing something about it - thus the dislike of certain traits we see in others who don't recognise it in themselves and so are doing nothiing about it.

simples:P

herd mentality indeed , they subscribe to a particular set of core beliefs when it comes to various sacred liberal cows

travellers = seen as not toeing conventional middle class or establishment lines and being exotic , anything which is at odds with the hated middle class is cool and trendy
    pallestine
    anti religon bar islam ( islam being at odds with the west and therefore on thier side )
    pro womens rights despite this being totally at odds with islam in many ways
    pro gay rights despite being tottaly at odds with islam in many ways

Banned
    Re-reg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

People who think having atheist beliefs makes them better than you, and spout a load of nonsense they read in a book somewhere without realising it can be used to argue the opposite of what they're saying. And when you point this out to them, just think you're being stupid and just can't understand their "scientific" and "logical" ways.

I doesn't make them better than you across the board, but they've likely given more thought to philosophical quandaries than you, which makes them better in that respect.

As for all the Apple hatred, yeah, they're overpriced, but the iOS devices have the largest and best selection of apps and the smoothest, simplest, most premium-feeling user experience.
    If you don't need those, stick with Android or Windows 8 and enjoy all the choices you're missing.
    If Windows 8 or Android were best I'd flip to either one, no problem, so I can't be accused of fanboy-ism.

Girls that don't masturbate annoy me.
    It's just...really, really retarded...
    As if somebody'd ask "Do you like to feeling extremely happy?", and they'd just go "Nah... I can do without that, thanks. Seems "dirty" somehow."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

grindle wrote: »
    I doesn't make them better than you across the board, but they've likely given more thought to philosophical quandaries than you, which makes them better in that respect.
    Really? The thought that there's absolutely nothing after life can be rather depressing. If I believed that by not being a dick and by going to mass every once in a while I'd end up in eternal bliss, I reckon I'd be a substantially happier individual. Are you suggesting that one should let a little logic get in the way of potential happiness?

Ficheall wrote: »
    Really? The thought that there's absolutely nothing after life can be rather depressing. If I believed that by not being a dick and by going to mass every once in a while I'd end up in eternal bliss, I reckon I'd be a substantially happier individual. Are you suggesting that one should let a little logic get in the way of potential happiness?

Living your life by a bunch of rules imposed by organised religion has got to be the lowest form of morality - a monkey can be trained to live like this.

I am not an atheist btw nor a theist

grindle wrote: »

What makes them more likely to have given thought to philosophical quandaries?

And if they have, how does that make them better?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 5ftGiant

(1) Couples that live together who talk over Facebook.... ffs

(2) People who tell the world what they are having for dinner via a Facebook status

(3) F**k it, everyone who uses Facebook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

People who use the word "liberal" as an insult.

They come off as obnoxious and stuck up as the people they criticise.

Ficheall wrote: »

We're different people who obviously think different things.
    I'd find looking at this life as a test-run for a potential eternity of something-ness, or more likely, nothingness, much more depressing.
    Logic is essential to observing reality and taking advantage of it to make yourself happy while you can.
    Whatever makes you happy, go for it, unless it forces negativity on someone else.

Back OT, people making me tea who think a "drop of milk, please" means "half a pint of milk, you cheapskate louse, prove to me how much milk you can afford!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

where to start...
    #animal abusers and people offline or online who deliberately target vulnerable people and children to take advantage,bully,abuse in any form and torture & murder,they are collectively known as oxygen wasting bottom dwellers,who woud be better off housed on a small offshore island together;with no food and an electric fence around it.

#liars,personaly speaking do not tell lies; partly due to it being a built in trait of neurology wiring [ie,lies are not real therefor did not happen] ,and partly because moraly do not believe in lying.people who lie make it very difficult to know how to trust anything people say.

#people with a mild form [or,ocasionaly works the other way-profound form] of a disability attempting to speak on behalf for everyone with it despite the disability being a very large and complex spectrum.especialy the "it isnt a disability,its a difference" group who campaign to get the disability status removed from a spectrum, some people have no quality of life and are severely or profoundly affected by the same condition,dont speak for someone have got no understanding of their issues of.

#people who try to destroy other peoples self confidence because they have a lot of faults/weaknesses,and are jealous of others who are at peace with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

KKkitty wrote: »
    People who complain about Rte or programming in general. If you don't want to watch something switch the channel and quit complaining about it. People who came from nothing, became something and think they're everything.

I think Irish people have every right to complain about RTÉ considering we pay for it.
    I don't accept that I should just change channel: I pay for it and as our national broadcaster, I want it to be of a high standard. If it doesn't reach that standard I'm entitled to complain.
    I'd rather pay the tv license than to be fined or worse to be honest. Nobody is going to be pleased with RTE and its programming 24/7 too. In fairness to RTE I've loved The Voice, Republic of Telly and The Savage Eye. My sons love RTE Junior and I can only commend RTE for having an all kids station at last. If that's what my tv license is paying for I'm happy and the kids are happy and that's all that matters. If I don't want to watch something I change the channel simple as. It's not like RTE is the only broadcaster available to most of us anymore.

The likelihood of educating yourself about the religions of the world and thinking positively about one or any of them afterwards is slim, yet many do this, so it must be that their critical faculties are in some way broken or handicapped, or untrained.
    The amount of born and bred religious fanatics who think the one they happen to have been born into is undeniably the correct one also beggars belief.

I didn't say it made them better "full-stop", I said it makes them better in that respect. Some people who're curious about philosophy and renounce religion turn into pathetic nihilists, who are undeniably worse than most religion fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Annoying people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭tonyangelino

The fake rugby followers who have sprung up all over the place the last few years. You know the type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Banned
    Re-reg

Out of curiosity, why was that poster banned ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Years ago, I was on a serious project which had deadlines. We had missed a critical deadline on the project.
    My project partner informed me in macho fashion "I fast - talked 'FirstName' into giving us some extra, affected my own career trajectory and still has certain ramifications even though it happened more than ten years ago.
    I am now definitely emerging from its shadow however.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why was that poster banned ?

I think the part where i say 're-reg' gives it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

People who claim religion and science are compatible.
    Pro-lifers.
    Creationists.
    The people I talk about in this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78575941&postcount=30

People who have absolutely no knowledge of economics or politics or even their affect on our situation yet still want to voice such opinions as how we should not pay the EU back, how we should vote no to everything put infront of us to teach the government a lesson and more.

Shíte drivers.

I'd say, given how often I encounter these types of people, it'd be a close tie between populist socialists and shíte drivers. They have something in common though; both suffer from their ignorance, lack of education and unwillingness to learn. They would rather keep doing something extremely poorly (driving/talking about politics and economics) than to take some time out, learn and come back and do it well.
    People who chant about equality and X's rights, and then demand special treatment for being X or expect Y to do something for X because X is X.
    Parents who won't keep their kids quiet and behaved in public places. If the kid is crying, take it the fúck out of there you inconsiderate arseholes.

Parents who think they can continue to live the life they had before they had a child/children and drag them along with them to things such as the pyramids in Egypt, nice, expensive restaurants late at night, etc, to everyone else(including the child's) expense.

Fúck it, parents in general.
    No, not really. There's lots of types of people I like, I'm just no fan of ignorance and the people I've mentioned, or the types I should say, are those who are displaying absolute ignorance in some form or another.

Yes, Sinn Fein and everything that stands with them annoy me as they're terrorist supporting scumbags who rely on chaos and ignorance to prosper due to their lack of any form of solid fundamentals or policies. They're also massive hypocrites with regards to their aims down here and their actual activities up North.

This thread is like pringles but replace the msg with anger.
    I have never, ever heard of someone doing that. On the other hand though ... http://blogs.independent.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Westboro-Baptist-Church.jpg
    If you do anything from this video, I probably find you annoying http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I
    People who get jealous of their neighbour's children getting things they never got as a child themselves tend to annoy me, I must confess.

So basically everyone who isn't exactly like you?

You sound like an interesting fellow.

I dislike haters. But, you know, haters gona hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭chocolatrose

People who use you, pretending to be your best friend but only when they need you and then disappear off the face of the earth until the next time they need you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little swift

smartarses, sarcastic knowitalls.

what this place is full of,

People who would rather ask you something (which you then have to google) rather than just googling it themselves. Happens on boards a lot, but also in real life, drives me mad so I usually tell them to do it themselves, which makes me look like a bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

ilovesleep wrote: »
    This too. People who can't/won't apologise, take responsibilities for their actions, have no empathy, behave like a martyr unable to see their part in a conflict and slap 100% of blame on you from a reaction which would be a symptom of their bo11ocksology.

You try and put things right and rectify it then and they're not having any of it.

I could not have put it better myself, been there done that. I'm just sorry I bothered trying to make amends, some people cannot or will not see their own faults.
    No one is right all the time, we all make mistakes, it's admitting them that is the problem for the person who is always right ''in their little world''

• Advertisement

An ability to think for themselves

Advertisement