Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels in Athlone with swimming pools: Sheraton, Radisson or Springs hotel

Options
  • 12-05-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭✭

We are planning a trip to Athlone for say 2-3 nights.

We are a couple and 1-yr old child.

We are trying to pick a hotel. A swimming pool for the baby is a necessity.

As far as I can see, the choices are the Sheraton and Radisson in the town centre and the Springs hotel in Monksland??

One issue is the distance from town - the Springs looks good, and seems to get good reviews, but it is 4-5km from the centre..............

I plan on touring a few pubs each night, so the 4-5km would mean two taxis..............

So unless the Springs was way cheaper, it seems to be between the Sheraton and Radisson.

The Sheraton seems a tad more upmarket, so of course it will probablybe dearer.

Any opinions / advice?

Comments

I think the Hudson Bay http://www.hodsonbayhotel.com/ has the best pool but I don't know how practical it would be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Hodson Bay is too far out so rule that out, Radisson and Sheraton are both in the town, havent seen the pools in either so cant comment on them. Both are within easy walking distance of all pubs in town

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

Have stayed in both over the last few months.
    The pool in the Radisson is just one pool, grand for doing lengths, etc.
    The pool in the Sheraton has a couple of sections off it, one is a shallow kids pool, the others are bubble/hydrotherapy pools. Also it's a much nicer pool in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Sheraton IMHO is the better of the three you mention in terms of pool/rooms/location. Phone them up and ask for a good deal. May not be much difference in price between the three

• Registered Users Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks so much. No booking made yet.

Think I can get Radisson for 198 for 3n BB + 1 dinner through Super Valu. That's 66 per night.

Sheraton seems to be 87 pn room only.

Hmmmmm.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Radisson is a better hotel in my opinion, esp if you have kids.

Advertisement