Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Service Auto

Options
  • 12-05-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭

Just seen this mentioned in the Munster this week.
    Definitely a great idea and apparently the 1st here outside Dublin.
    Been crap tonnes of times Ive wanted to do something simple enough but had nowhere with a lift or even parking (stupid lack of driveway)
    http://selfserviceauto.ie/index2.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Seen that in paper alright. Its an excellent idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Seen that in paper alright. Its an excellent idea.

i can vouch for the place, had the car in there over the last week, Ray is really nice chap, excellent idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I can't see why anyone would spend €50 getting a "pre" NCT. Just a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

michellie wrote: »
    I can't see why anyone would spend €50 getting a "pre" NCT. Just a waste of money.

I always thought that as well, my thinking was sure the NCT will tell me whats wrong with it

Had husbands in though for the NCT and we had to pay 55euro for original test, then 28 euro for a re test which failed again, and when I rang to re book it in 10 days before the cut off I was told there were no more appointments before the cut off so we've to pay another 55 euro now for a full re test and it will pass now

It's cost us nearly 140 euro on NCT fees alone, if we'd gotten the pre NCT done we could have gotten everything fixed before we put it in in the first place and would be up 40 euro..not much I know but I can understand now why people do it where as before I thought like you, that it was pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

snuggles09 wrote: »
    I always thought that as well, my thinking was sure the NCT will tell me whats wrong with it

Had husbands in though for the NCT and we had to pay 55euro for original test, then 28 euro for a re test which failed again, and when I rang to re book it in 10 days before the cut off I was told there were no more appointments before the cut off so we've to pay another 55 euro now for a full re test and it will pass now

It's cost us nearly 140 euro on NCT fees alone, if we'd gotten the pre NCT done we could have gotten everything fixed before we put it in in the first place and would be up 40 euro..not much I know but I can understand now why people do it where as before I thought like you, that it was pointless

Thats it really. I know lots of people bring in the cars for the NCT to find out whats wrong then go mental trying to get the problems fixed as quick as possible. The pre NCT is a good thing in my opinion. Granted you could find out nothing is wrong and be down the money for the check but at least you will have your mind at ease going in for the NCT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

this place would have made a mint with the boy racers few years ago but i still think it'll do ok for itself and is very good idea in my book and wish the fella good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

It was with great interest that I read this thread and discovered that this new type of garage has come to Waterford.

However I'm very puzzled by the opening hours - only essentially a half day on Saturday (till 3PM) and not open on Sundays. Surely if they're aiming this at the enthusiast who would normally work on his/her car in their driveway then they've automatically put it out of reach of a huge amount of potential customers? Of course there's the unfortunate situation that there's a large amount of unemployed people around now who probably wouldn't mind dropping in during normal working hours, but what about the people who are working normal hours? I'd have expected weekends to be their busiest time and in fact if I was running it I'd have extended opening hours at the weekend (or at least on one weekend night) to facilitate the hobbyists.

I'd like to think of this as constructive criticism - I'm very much in favour of this being a success and may even avail of it sometime myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

snuggles09 wrote: »

I guess I'm a bit biased.

I know for a fact some garages will give you a list of stuff that's wrong with the vehicle, when there's absolutely nothing wrong with the car. And people panic and pay out big money pointlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 atki

I guess I'm a bit biased.

I know for a fact some garages will give you a list of stuff that's wrong with the vehicle, when there's absolutely nothing wrong with the car. And people panic and pay out big money pointlessly.

I know i thought the same myself i had a nct test last week and i said i will avail of the computerized nct pre test which is the same as an nct test (35 euro) my car failed on the brakes so i saved on the re test + the hastle of trying to get work done in a rush and the hastle of booking the car back in for the re-test they are also very competive with there service and repairs and when i was talking to ray he is very keen on the publics feed back and as i am aware you can book in for the lift hire after hours by ringing the day before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

bkehoe wrote: »
    However I'm very puzzled by the opening hours - only essentially a half day on Saturday (till 3PM) and not open on Sundays. Surely if they're aiming this at the enthusiast who would normally work on his/her car in their driveway then they've automatically put it out of reach of a huge amount of potential customers?

Indeed. Mind you this applies to garages full stop. The weekend is far more useful to more people than say Monday and Tuesday. I'm convinced that any garage that is open all weekend (for sales and service) would do more business even they were closed, bar phone appointments at the start of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

mike65 wrote: »
    Indeed. Mind you this applies to garages full stop. The weekend is far more useful to more people than say Monday and Tuesday. I'm convinced that any garage that is open all weekend (for sales and service) would do more business even they were closed, bar phone appointments at the start of the week.

This is one of my pet peeves that garage sales close on the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 atki

I know the feeling but if you are looking for value for money its a place to start and the lads a very helpful there

Advertisement