Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specsavers - Cork..??

Options
  • 12-05-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi, Does anyone know where in cork city (or surrounding areas) there would be a specsavers, and how much an eye test costs?

Thanks.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

Hi, Does anyone know where in cork city (or surrounding areas) there would be a specsavers, and how much an eye test costs?

Thanks.

There is a specsavers in Market Green shopping centre in Midleton if that is of any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Cork - Cook Street

http://www.specsavers.ie/stores/cork/

No idea on eye test prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yellowcrayon

wispyman wrote: »
    There is a specsavers in Market Green shopping centre in Midleton if that is of any help!

Perfect! not too far from me.. Thank u??

Any idea how much they charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

my guess would be around the 20-30 euro mark, ive never been, ive always gone to a local opticians. my friend works in wilton i can ask him if you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

I had an eye test for my driving license at Specsaver's on Cook Street recently, cost me just €15.

• Advertisement

kaki wrote: »
    I had an eye test for my driving license at Specsaver's on Cook Street recently, cost me just €15.
    The driving licence eye test is different to a normal eye test and is cheaper

calnand wrote: »
    my guess would be around the 20-30 euro mark, ive never been, ive always gone to a local opticians. my friend works in wilton i can ask him if you need to know.

That would be great if possible, thank you :)

As i was just talking with a friend who lives in the same area as me and she said wilton would be closest.. I looked up the website but couldnt find prices or anything

just asked him there and he said that they're ten euro at the moment, down from thirty.

calnand wrote: »
    just asked him there and he said that they're ten euro at the moment, down from thirty.

Thanks very much Calnand... Just booked appointments now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭sporina

having a nightmare time as a cook street specsavers customer at the moment; anyone else having the same experience? and/or anyone know what on earth could be going to in this place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

sporina wrote: »
    having a nightmare time as a cook street specsavers customer at the moment; anyone else having the same experience? and/or anyone know what on earth could be going to in this place?

If you are paying PRSI you can get your eye test coverd by that. I've done that twice with Crowley's on Grand Parade and they do all the paperwork and phone calls for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

sporina wrote: »

The staff in there are, and have been for a long time, quite useless. Trained monkeys springs to mind. Every time I go in there to pick up contact lens or get a check up, something happens. The Opticians are fine, it's just the front desk staff that are useless and unprofessional.

Once, I had to assist the "Optical Assistant" in figuring out my change (they only had a €20 note in the till, I was paying €100 in 2 €50 notes for a €93 bill so offered another €10 note and €3 change so they could give me the €20... it took a while to walk him through the logic of it, he even had to bring his manager in to confirm the maths of it).

Another time, I handed the girl my debit card to pay and... well I stood there until she figured out that she had to put the card in the dock and charge it, not just take it off me, in order to complete the payment.

They are always talking about their own sh*t in front of customers in there too. The last time I was in there two of them, while one was serving a customer and I waiting to be served, were banging on about how much they hate their Specsavers uniforms.

I mostly go in there for the entertainment factor :)

oh just watch this space..

i do not have the time to go into how incompetent they are…

i am currently waiting for them to get back to me as to how they will mend the mess,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I feel the need resurrect this thread.
    I will never use SpecSavers on Cook St Cork again.

My polarized glasses are defective and the staff don't understand :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Specsavers, they'd sell specs to a blind man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I've gone on their delivery deal for the contact lens. It has cut out almost completely any need for me to go there in person. Cook Street defo the worst one. My wife got new glasses a while back and, though she didn't ask for any help, the assistant floating around mentioned how great EVERY pair were. Most redundant 'help' ever. When she then picked up the glasses a week or so later, the assistant went to lengths to remark why the pair she choose suited her face... yes she knows already, she bought them.

Sorry, my blood pressure rises whenever I think of that shop. I really should move to Vision Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you want a proper optician, go to Dalys on Oliver Plunkett St, family run business and no hard sell.

aujopimur wrote: »
    If you want a proper optician, go to Dalys on Oliver Plunkett St, family run business and no hard sell.

OMG you took the words out of my mouth.
    I had a NIGHTMARE situation with Specsavers on cook st - too long to go into.. the place is like a badly run money grabbing circus..

I now go to Dalys and ok they are a bit more €€ but they are so professional and competent!!!
    I have a complicated prescription though so its worth it for me.

I would not recommend SS's even for a simple eye test for drivers licence or what ever... grr.. nightmare.. really bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

kaki wrote: »

you can get the 15 back from them by cheque if you apply to the Dept of Social Protection for a voucher (which as a taxpayer you can get every 2 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭weadick

I do notice that they have a big staff turnover, seems to be different people working there every time I go. The shop has a weird layout too.

The best/worst experience I had there was a few years ago when I went to have an eye test. I couldn't figure out why the optician was talking to me in such a patronising way, asking me if I was nervous etc. Eventually they figured out that they had mixed up my file with that of a twelve year old boy. I was 27 at the time! I wouldn't mind but I hadn't shaved in about three days either :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

weadick wrote: »
    I do notice that they have a big staff turnover, seems to be different people working there every time I go. The shop has a weird layout too.

The best/worst experience I had there was a few years ago when I went to have an eye test. I couldn't figure out why the optician was talking to me in such a patronising way, asking me if I was nervous etc. Eventually they figured out that they had mixed up my file with that of a twelve year old boy. I was 27 at the time! I wouldn't mind but I hadn't shaved in about three days either :)

they should have gone to Spe...oh wait

Advertisement