Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timing - Any and all Subjects

• 12-05-2012 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I didn't see a thread about but here's one just to start us off on timing for the real day. Please post your recommended timing for any and all subjects

I'll start us off today

Accounting

5mins to read the paper
    Then once questions are chosen, spend a minute reading through each question again before you start it, eg. 1 min on q 2, then 1 on q3 etc.
    Q1 - 50 mins ( never ever did this question, but I guess about this)
    Q2/3/4 - 25 mins each
    Q5/6/7 - 40 mins each
    Q8/9 - 35 mins
    5mins Reading over questions at end, answering parts you forgot / theory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Project Maths
    • Quick Read of Paper
    • Circle all the questions you can't do
    • Hand script up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Project Maths
    • Quick Read of Paper
    • Circle all the questions you can't do
    • Hand script up
    What if I run out of time before I get them all circled? :D

My main piece of advice would be for English P1. What I do is dont even read the comprehensions - pick the least awful B part and do it, then on the A part just read through it to get the answers. Voila, plenty of time for a story. :cool:

(I make it sound like English P1 is really hard or something...its not, I'm just time-stingy. :) )

Patchy~ wrote: »
    What if I run out of time before I get them all circled? :D

Practice, practice, practice. Get yourself a set of papers and set aside some time everyday for it. It'll pay off :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

All Subjects:

Walk into exam hall, analysing your surroundings.
    Note the warmest area in the hall and attempt to grab a seat in that location.
    Allow the examiner to issue necessary materials and thank him/her when she comes to your table. Nod if he/she says a word, but do not interpret any of their statement.
    Once everyone begins to write, lower your head on the desk and nap. It's summer break after all!
    DO NOT FORGET TO HAND UP THE SCRIPT. Attempt marks maybe given if examiners are in a good mood.

reznov wrote: »
    All Subjects:

Walk into exam hall, analysing your surroundings.
    Note the warmest area in the hall and attempt to grab a seat in that location.
    Allow the examiner to issue necessary materials and thank him/her when she comes to your table. Nod if he/she says a word, but do not interpret any of their statement.
    Once everyone begins to write, lower your head on the desk and nap. It's summer break after all!
    DO NOT FORGET TO HAND UP THE SCRIPT. Attempt marks maybe given if examiners are in a good mood.

WARNING THIS IS BAD ADVICE

Interacting in anyway with the examiner creeps them out and they may ask you to leave

• Advertisement

WARNING THIS IS BAD ADVICE

Interacting in anyway with the examiner creeps them out and they may ask you to leave

Come to think of it you may actually be correct. The best idea is to not show up for the exam altogether. Feck the leaving! Your sleep and nerves are more important anyway.

Use the circle method for maximum marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Go in 20 minutes after the exam starts to maximise study time :cool:

Special tips for Maths:

When identifying what questions you cannot do (I.e. The whole paper), attempt to link the question with a formula in the log book. Copy the formula down and YOU MIGHT be awarded one mark.

8/300 marks, rock on.

On a serious note all students who got there Project Maths papers rechecked last year were awarded 5 marks everywhere they originally received no marks (either for getting it completely wrong or not attempting the Q)

Project Maths is going to revolutionise the way I look at everyday life. I no longer have to wonder how tall the tree outside my school is as I have the priceless luxury of a home-made clinometer

It has undeniably "enhanced student learning experience" and provided "greater levels of achievement for all".

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Go in 20 minutes after the exam starts to maximise study time :cool:

:cool:
    Set off the fire alarm to cause panic. In the time everyone is running around, break out the revise wise book.

Get 2 marks more.

• Advertisement

Since I've contributed very little I suppose I'll plan this out:

English Paper 1
    • 40 Minutes - Part A
    • 40 Minutes - Part B
    • Composition -Rest of exam
      (PRO-TIP - Make your story really depressing and outlandish to attain maximum marks)

Paper 2
    • Hope Heaney or Larkin comes up
    • Explain Hamlet's desire to copulate with his mother
    • Explain how all your comparitive texts are really depressing

PRO-TIP - If you are intolerant of people's belief sets include your disdain in one of your questions as there is a good chance your examiner may also be intolerant of such people and award you extra marks

Since I've contributed very little I suppose I'll plan this out:

English Paper 1
    • 40 Minutes - Part A
    • 40 Minutes - Part B
    • Composition -Rest of exam
      (PRO-TIP - Make your story really depressing and outlandish to attain maximum marks)

Paper 2
    • Hope Heaney or Larkin comes up
    • Explain Hamlet's desire to copulate with his mother
    • Explain how all your comparitive texts are really depressing

PRO-TIP - If you are intolerant of people's belief sets include your disdain in one of your questions as there is a good chance your examiner may also be intolerant of such people and award you extra marks

I'd copulate with Gertrude and Ophelia if to be honest.

I'd copulate with Gertrude and Ophelia if to be honest.

If I'm being fully honest I wouldn't mind getting Polonius involved

If I'm being fully honest I wouldn't mind getting Polonius involved

Hmm. But what about the scholar Horatio? I actually think Fortinbras who is "hot and full" is a much better match.

I'd hit it.

Hmm. But what about the scholar Horatio? I actually think Fortinbras who is "hot and full" is a much better match.

I'd hit it.
    The "noble" Horatio does seem quite loyal (If ya know what I mean)

Fortinbras seems like he'd be a little to demanding for my tastes "/

How would you feel about getting maybe more than one of the characters involved?

P.S reznov are you alive are dead? Your death in Black Ops seemed quite suspect and the further revelation of the Maverick Code has left me puzzled

The "noble" Horatio does seem quite loyal (If ya know what I mean)

Fortinbras seems like he'd be a little to demanding for my tastes "/

How would you feel about getting maybe more than one of the characters involved?

P.S reznov are you alive are dead? Your death in Black Ops seemed quite suspect and the further revelation of the Maverick Code has left me puzzled

The one major drawback of getting multiple characters involved is that the room may not be voluminous enough to host such a party. Going to have to tackle this problem one by one! Kind of like Maths Part a, b, and finally c.
    However the proposition is welcomed as it could mean application of trigonometric theorems in a practical situation to practice my Project Maths skills.

Dead or alive? Better question is: Kicking ass on Earth or Kicking ass from above? I'm actually residing in a purgatory, "fasting in fires" in a country from which "no traveller returns". Expect my revival in BLOPS2 as a mechanical soviet solidier who continues his struggle for the sake of the motherland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Try and keep the thread on topic please guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Economics
    • Shorts- 20 Minutes
    • Pick Long Questions- 10 minutes
    • Do 4 Long Questions - 100 minutes (25x4)
    • Read Over Paper- 20 minutes

Business
    • Shorts- 25 Minutes
    • ABQ- 35 Minutes
    • Choose Long Questions- 9 minutes
    • 4 Long Questions- 96 minutes (24x4)
    • Read Over Paper- 15 Minutes

Try and keep the thread on topic please guys.

No problem

Chemistry
    • 3 Experiment Question - 20 each
    • Short Question - 20
    • Question 5 - 25
    • Question 6 - 25
    • Then pick 2 questions you're comfortable with and give them about 20 each
    • 10 Minutes to read over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Biology

5 mins read the paper/pick questions
    Section A - 20 mins ( do all 6)
    Section B - 25 mins ( do all 3 )
    Section C - 25 mins a question (Do 4, try a 5th if time remains) ( recommend doing Ecology, Genetics, q14 and q15 as then you can do the choice within 14 and 15 as well)

For biology and chemistry, the timing is not so strict, in the mocks I answered all the questions except for on in Biology ( still had 20mins left - we didn't have genetics done at the time) and all questions in chemistry with 15 mins left. The main thing for the sciences is not to panic and don't rush! There is plenty of time in them!!!

• Advertisement

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Biology

5 mins read the paper/pick questions
    Section A - 20 mins ( do all 6)
    Section B - 25 mins ( do all 3 )
    Section C - 25 mins a question (Do 4, try a 5th if time remains) ( recommend doing Ecology, Genetics, q14 and q15 as then you can do the choice within 14 and 15 as well)

For biology and chemistry, the timing is not so strict, in the mocks I answered all the questions except for on in Biology ( still had 20mins left - we didn't have genetics done at the time) and all questions in chemistry with 15 mins left. The main thing for the sciences is not to panic and don't rush! There is plenty of time in them!!!

Do you think the Ecology questions worth it? I don't know it seems a bit risky as some years it's not as factual as the others "/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Do you think the Ecology questions worth it? I don't know it seems a bit risky as some years it's not as factual as the others "/

According to my teacher, the new chief examiner for biology is very into those sort of higher order thinking questions, where they're not testing you on what you've actually learned from the book. So maybe stay away from it if you don't like that, but those kind of questions can crop up in other places. If they do, though, they generally will accept any reasonable answer, so it's worth taking a stab at.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭afc4life

Project Maths is going to revolutionise the way I look at everyday life. I no longer have to wonder how tall the tree outside my school is as I have the priceless luxury of a home-made clinometer

It has undeniably "enhanced student learning experience" and provided "greater levels of achievement for all".

Hahahaha man that was actually priceless! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Ya it is definetly.

It was in the ecology question last year where they had the slight uproar (< oxymoron?) so more than likely it won't happen this year. Ecology is up every year, and is likely to appear in the experiments as well. Anyway, if some abstract thinking is involved, they'll accept any reasonable answer as aforementioned by leaveiton. It's worth it, and the abstract part would only be worth around 3 or 6 marks out of 60, and you'll more than likely get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happyturtle

How about higher level English? Anyone has any plans on how to time it? And I've heard that the length of your essays is really important, so how long should they be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

How about higher level English? Anyone has any plans on how to time it? And I've heard that the length of your essays is really important, so how long should they be?

Composition needs to be at least 1000 words.

Its the first thing the examiner looks at when reading your script, not the comprehensions.

You should dedicate at least 1 hour 15 to your essay, it is worth 25% after all.

Plan it out, stay focused to the question

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

Physics:

3 Experiment Questions - 15 each
    Short Questions - 10 mins
    Question 12 - 20 mins
    Question 10a/b - 20 mins
    Any other 2 long questions - 20 mins each
    Attempt another experiment question if time allows after reading and checking your paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happyturtle

Composition needs to be at least 1000 words.

Its the first thing the examiner looks at when reading your script, not the comprehensions.

You should dedicate at least 1 hour 15 to your essay, it is worth 25% after all.

Plan it out, stay focused to the question

Thanks for that :) Can you tell how many words other parts should be? I mean single text, comparative and poetry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Thanks for that :) Can you tell how many words other parts should be? I mean single text, comparative and poetry?

The poetry answer is expected to be about 4 pages,comparative about 4.5 pages and single text about 4 I think :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

I'd hit it.

And don't forget about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.. ooft!:D

Advertisement