Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timing - Any and all Subjects

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

David1994 wrote: »
    The poetry answer is expected to be about 4 pages,comparative about 4.5 pages and single text about 4 I think :D

Comparative could be a bit longer than 4.5 pages, if you spend more than an hour on it which you should 6 pages would be more like it. It is worth 70 marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Try and keep the thread on topic please guys.

The conversation shifted from the leaving cert to gang bangs with fictional male characters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Comparative could be a bit longer than 4.5 pages, if you spend more than an hour on it which you should 6 pages would be more like it. It is worth 70 marks

I agree you could probably write more than 4.5 pages in the allotted time but my teacher told us that that amount is perfect :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Home Economics: Social & Scientific

Start with elective -- 35 mins
    Compulsory question section B question 1 -- 35mins
    other two questions section B -- 2x 20 mins
    finish with section A -- 25 mins

that leaves 15 mins for reading over questions / selecting questions

or you could give 25 mins to both questions in section B but that just leaves 5 mins reading time then

so time is very tight :(

defo finish with short q's as you can just fire them down and remember to bullet point everything -- they like that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Maths P1
    -Open paper
    -Realise Sequences and Series is a part of at least 3 of eight questions
    -Proceed to have a mental breakdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

Maths P1
    -Open paper

At least I now know it's not just our school! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I'd be delighted :cool: Technically it was one year - algebra, Q4 itself, and Q5. DUNDUNDUN :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stapler10

English:

A mark a minute

Geography:

Short questions-20 mins
    Physical-30 mins
    Regional-35 mins
    Human-30 mins
    Option-35 mins

I am going to try to stick to that :/ I have practiced doing 30 mark questions in 12 mins but I usually take about 14...Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Maths P1
    -Open paper
    Huh?!
    Its only one question?

• Advertisement

For english paper 1, essay or comprehension first?
    I always did the essay, but Im really tied for time on the comprehensions, which should be easy marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

biohaiid wrote: »
    Huh?!
    Its only one question?

Yes it's 1 definite full question every year but it can appear in Q1/2 and even in Q5. One year it came up in 3 questions. 1 full question and a part of 2 others.. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

We were told for English Paper II:

Comparative- 5/6 pages
    Hamlet- 4.5/5 Pages
    Poetry- 4/4.5 pages
    Unseen Poem- 3/4's of an A4.

It can appear in Q1/2 but doesnt do so too often. In 2010, I think, it was a third of a C part. It would definitely have caught people out but if you'd done S&S it was pretty much an (a) part. The way you say "even in Q5" confuses me a little though, thats to be expected - Q5 is algebra, binomials, induction and S&S, as far as I know :)

We were told for English Paper II:

Comparative- 5/6 pages
    Hamlet- 4.5/5 Pages
    Poetry- 4/4.5 pages
    Unseen Poem- 3/4's of an A4.

Only 3/4's of a page for unseen?? Our teacher said try do 1.5/2 pages :P
    Are you talking about the 10 markers or 20 marker??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

That's nearly 20 pages :O I'm not fast enough to write that much :( I got 46/50 in my Plath essay and it was only 3 and 3/4 pages! And practically full marks in Hamlet which was only 4 pages exactly. Funny, my comparative was like 7 and I only got 54 in it :P I don't think length means everything, well obviously, but quality always over quantity.

But anyways, this is how I do applied maths:

Try to do every full question in 15 minutes. This might sound hard, but trust me it pays off!
    Basically, just plough through every question as fast possible but be careful aswell. If you get stuck, which everyone will be at some stage, try think of a way around it for about 2 minutes, and if you don't find a way around it, leave the question and move on. Then keep doing this with every question and then you'll have an hour left to go back over all the questions looking for your mistakes! From my experience, I can get too caught up in a question and get frustrated so I really think it's a good idea :) Works for me anyway!
    Oh, and always do Q10 first, it's a nice quick question :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

English

6 pages essay 90 min
    page a part a question
    2 pages functional writing.

4/4.5 pages Hamlet
    4 pages Poetry
    6/7 pages comparative
    1.5 unseen

Physics I'm very unsure of. The experiments take me ages :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Patchy~ wrote: »
    It can appear in Q1/2 but doesnt do so too often. In 2010, I think, it was a third of a C part. It would definitely have caught people out but if you'd done S&S it was pretty much an (a) part. The way you say "even in Q5" confuses me a little though, thats to be expected - Q5 is algebra, binomials, induction and S&S, as far as I know :)

Sequences and series
    +
    Induction

= rides of questions <3

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Sequences and series
    +
    Induction

= rides of questions <3
    We're just finishing off S&S this week then doing induction and I taught myself binomials as best I could - they seem so much nicer than Algebra/Calculus <3

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Sequences and series
    +
    Induction

= rides of questions <3
    We're just finishing off S&S this week then doing induction and I taught myself binomials as best I could - they seem so much nicer than Algebra/Calculus <3

Oh they're amazing! especially compared to the often horrible question 8! they can be done in under 5 mins compared with q8 which usually takes 15 to 20!

<3 telescoping series = the easiest 20 marks in the leaving cert.

• Advertisement

Yes it's 1 definite full question every year but it can appear in Q1/2 and even in Q5. One year it came up in 3 questions. 1 full question and a part of 2 others.. :/

Is this just for Honors? Im in pass.

Is this just for Honors? Im in pass.

Ya i'm pretty certain... mmost honours students hate them for some reason! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Thanks for the thread, mainly because I'm seriously going to struggle with timing in English, I always get carried away with my answers. I wrote about four-five pages for the Mock comprehension as a result. :eek:

Ya i'm pretty certain... mmost honours students hate them for some reason! :L

Phew!

Advertisement