Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Vans in High Park, Drumcondra

Options
  • 12-05-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

A good friend of mine is house hunting around northside Dublin at the moment and I’m giving him a hand.

We came across this property, 39 High Park, which has a lot going for it, especially in that price range...

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/39-high-park-grace-park-road-drumcondra-dublin-9/1803863

Unfortunatly, on 3 separate trips to the road over the last month, there were 3 big commercial vans (Large Ford Transits, Mercedes Sprinters, or something similar) parked right outside the house. One in the driveway next door, one up on the footpath outside the house, and one across the road.

Is this something one would have to simply put up with, or are there laws regarding the parking of commercial vehicles in resitential areas?

I’m guessing the path/road outside your house is public property too, and anyone can park there.

And if it happened that your new neighbour owned two or even three of the vans, you would be less than welcome moving in next door and kicking up a fuss about his vans!

I’m guessing the residents are already not too pleased about it.

Call me snobby but having 3 big commercial vans parked on a quaint little enclave completely ruins the look of the place in my opinion. Have a look at the street on Google Maps:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=53.380612,-6.241122&spn=0.001158,0.002674&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.380445,-6.241322&panoid=SM-imxEIP3Omw6WDoVAtiQ&cbp=12,331.62,,0,-10.56
    Now imagine 3 Ford Transits outside 2 houses...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

condra wrote: »
    Call me snobby but having 3 big commercial vans parked on a quaint little enclave completely ruins the look of the place in my opinion. Have a look at the street on Google Maps:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=53.380612,-6.241122&spn=0.001158,0.002674&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.380445,-6.241322&panoid=SM-imxEIP3Omw6WDoVAtiQ&cbp=12,331.62,,0,-10.56
    Now imagine 3 Ford Transits outside 2 houses...

Is it not better to live beside an honest working person that a fat cat banker or public servant?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,521 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is it not better to live beside an honest working person that a fat cat banker or public servant?
    Totally off topic. Op Os saying that there is up to three vans. One I could handle but three is a bit to much and I drive a van, allthough it is only a caddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Three vans regularly parked at one house suggests that the occupier is running a business from his home. For that, planning permission would be required. You could ask the local authority to look into it. I'm not sure what the chances are of DCC dealing with it; even if they were minded to act, the speed of the action would probably be too slow for the particular circumstance, that of a househunter considering making an offer on a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I have a van, neighbour on the left drives a 7.5 ton lorry and the neighbour on the right an 18t tractor unit. There must be another 4/5 vans along the street too. Never been a problem for anyone and we have some up themselves neighbours too

Three vans regularly parked at one house suggests that the occupier is running a business from his home. For that, planning permission would be required. You could ask the local authority to look into it. I'm not sure what the chances are of DCC dealing with it; even if they were minded to act, the speed of the action would probably be too slow for the particular circumstance, that of a househunter considering making an offer on a house.

Planning permission is not required to work from home. There was a case some years ago where someone had customers calling to their house. the judge asked "Do I need planning permission to put my briefcase on my dining room table?" The case was thrown out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Planning permission is not required to work from home. There was a case some years ago where someone had customers calling to their house. the judge asked "Do I need planning permission to put my briefcase on my dining room table?" The case was thrown out.
    We are not talking about a briefcase on a dining room table here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

[/QUOTE]
    We are not talking about a briefcase on a dining room table here.[/Quote]
    take a self employed painter, a currier, a chippy, a taxi driver ect. These people usually dont have an office and will work in their vehicle or use it to get to work most of the time and bring it home at night. Might do their paperwork at home on the computer or on the kitchen table. Do these people need planning permission? No they do not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I have a van, neighbour on the left drives a 7.5 ton lorry and the neighbour on the right an 18t tractor unit. There must be another 4/5 vans along the street too. Never been a problem for anyone and we have some up themselves neighbours too

Whereabouts is your halting site mush?

I kid! I kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Tough call there OP.

My cousin has next door neighbours that have an ice cream van and 2 mobile hot dog/baked potato vans. They park two of them on the road outside their house, and one on the grass verge. They keep their own cars parked in their driveway so that is not a parking option for them.

To be honest, it looks like crap. The grass verge is always muddy and torn up from the vans being always parked on it. If the neighbours on either side of them have visitors over, they have no where to park extra cars as the vans hog all the parking spaces.

When my cousin was having an Xmas party, she told people to park on the road. The neighbours came home and kicked up a fuss as they had no where to park their vans. They treated regular street parking spaces as their own personal property. WTF?

The vans also are are a traffic hazard. They block the view of the road for cars reversing out of driveways either side of them.

So long story short, vans like these can be a total pain in the ass to deal with. You want to be understanding of your neighbours who are self employed entrepreneurs. But if they couldn't give a $hit about the needs of their neighours, that makes it hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks for all the replies.

It looks like he’s better off forgetting about it and finding something else. Not worth the hassle.

If I’m down near there again I’ll drop in to High Park and get a proper photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

My next door neighbour tarred his front garden to park his tractor/lorry/whatever he was up to on. At one point they ran a taxi rank from the house.
    We just put up with it and after a couple of years it all caught up with him (cops came for him for fuel laundering)

We are not talking about a briefcase on a dining room table here.

I never said you were. Neither was that case. If the predominant use of the house is residential, no change of use application is required. Customers calling etc. does not mean the use has changed. The judge was simply pointing out the logic of your position. Would someone be able to answer a work phone call at home without planning permission if this work from home issue was taken to its logical conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i read a few years ago that parking was the biggest fighting point amongst neighbours which is no surprise. I agree OP, vans can look awful. I had a neighbour once with a tipper truck and he saw nothing wrong with parking it in the estate, mud falling off it, kids playing around it (trying telling a kid to not go near the truck),, he would tip it up when it rained. There was no talking to him.
    And like another poster mentioned, he probably thinks he owns the spaces outside his gate.

Advertisement