Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Illness You Ever Had

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Had pneumonia when i was younger. I thought it was a bad cold(for a month or so) but when i collapsed and was brought to hospital i told the doc my symptoms and the fact i felt like I was having an out of body experience everytime i took a step, he said another few days and things would have got ropey..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Had pneumonia when i was younger. I thought it was a bad cold(for a month or so) but when i collapsed and was brought to hospital i told the doc my symptoms and the fact i felt like I was having an out of body experience everytime i took a step, he said another few days and things would have got ropey..

Did you suffer from extreme nightmares when you had it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

My most recent one was when I got a cut on my face which got infected.
    Went to the doctor and got antibiotics.
    The antibiotics didn't agree with me so I ended up in bed going from hot to cold.
    Spent ages in bed and couldn't get up to take my insulin or other meds.
    To cut a long story short, I got ketoacidosis on top of the blood poisoning that developed from the infection. I crawled out of bed and collapsed in the bathroom.
    My friend gave me some milk to drink, I'll forever be sorry for the curdled milk vomit that splashed on her when I got sick in a basin. :(
    After that an ambulance was summoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Gum infection after a wisdom tooth out.

Think a normal toothache and quadruple it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

A double ear infection. **** the pain, followed by being partially deaf for a week or 2 later. The initial pain was unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Vomiting and diarrhea while I was pregnant, Ibs, migraines, Allergies and some mild depression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Was diagnosed with Scarlet Fever when I was 17 which is apparently very rare considering that its most common in 4-8 year olds. :o

I found it strange that it is a respiratory disease considering that it was my skins painful reaction to sunlight that prompted me to see a doctor. The antibiotics I had to take were the size of bullets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Had an allergic reaction to some painkillers I took. I got sweaty hands starting off and then gradually I got even hotter. I couldn't breathe and really thought I was gonna die and I couldn't even ring 999 because I couldn't talk because of lack of breath. It was horrible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Strep throat (so bad that my swollen tonsils met in the middle and nearly blocked my airways) and pneumonia.
    The throat infection was worse though, even trying to swallow my own saliva was like swallowing razorblades. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Had a mild case of swine flu when it was going around, just sick for 2 weeks or so, couldn't go around with it! Thankfully it passed though..

I've fairly bad Asthma too, can be a pain at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

Got a particularly nasty case of tonsillitis a few years back at the same time that my wisdom teeth broke through, ended up with infected tonsils, gums, tongue and glands the size of golf balls... two days later I got the flu (the real flu) and to top it all off I was away from home, my own bed and my mammy! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Week long gastroenteritis, made worse by losing a stone when already underweight..awful. Fairly lucky, never even had flu.

I do have two conditions which affect my life so they are arguably worse than a short lived serious and painful illness but I am thankful because both could be worse, underactive thyroid and IBS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Hypochondriasis, when its bad its real bad. An obsessive belief that you are terminally ill lasting months and sometimes longer depending on the illness you think you have. Hyper sensitive to bodily sensations, pains. Mis-reading symptoms. Developing new ones due to anxiety and protecting areas of the body you fear you have disease in. Extreme anxiety, panic, depression etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Mumps and meningitis at the same time......spent bout 3 months in hospital. Everything from the shoulders up was sore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Rocket19 wrote: »
    Glandular fever!!

Oh holy god, I thought I'd die (especially when my dad kept lolling and calling it the "kissing disease")

Yep. Had severe abdiminal pain for a week before my spleen spontaneously ruptured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

twinQuins wrote: »
    Yep. Had severe abdiminal pain for a week before my spleen spontaneously ruptured.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Did you suffer from extreme nightmares when you had it?

Not that I recall to be honest I was pretty out of it, I was sure if shake id shake it off but it got the better of me

Not that I recall to be honest I was pretty out of it, I was sure if shake id shake it off but it got the better of me

Yeah the shakes is a common symptom of it. I was just curious as when I got it I first experienced night terrors and it felt like an out of body experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Henoch-Schonlein pupura. Currently trying to shake it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

does severe sunburn count? had it ridiculously bad as kid, they put some sort of cream on me and all the blisters I had on my arms and legs burst, basically had to be mopped down, yuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I had cellulitis this time last year (nothing to do with cellulite!)- it was truly horrible. Couldn't move for a good 2-3 days. Spent first two days of it in bed fully clothed, shivering.

Got a dose of it about six months ago in my right leg. Oh man... I never thought a bit of swelling could cause so much pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Kidney stones, at least I think they were kidney stones no one ever told me what was wrong so I'm self diagnosing but I spent a week in hospital on an iv with it. It was that or renal failure for no apparent reason. Or it could possibly have been e coli. Nobody really knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

kowloon wrote: »
    My most recent one was when I got a cut on my face which got infected.
    Went to the doctor and got antibiotics.
    The antibiotics didn't agree with me so I ended up in bed going from hot to cold.
    Spent ages in bed and couldn't get up to take my insulin or other meds.
    To cut a long story short, I got ketoacidosis on top of the blood poisoning that developed from the infection. I crawled out of bed and collapsed in the bathroom.
    My friend gave me some milk to drink, I'll forever be sorry for the curdled milk vomit that splashed on her when I got sick in a basin. :(
    After that an ambulance was summoned.
    Ketoacidosis jaysus. Lucky to be alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Alcoholism.

Doesn't get the credit as a disease that it deserves, some people seem to think it's a matter of choice, but it isn't. A lot of tax money needs to put into this disease, perhaps at the expense of things like cancer and heart disease research, but so be it.

no offense, but to the suggestion that "a lot of tax money needs to be put into" alcoholism and taken from cancer/heart disease research I'd have to say .....me bollix

I'm not saying it's not a terrible disease or that people shouldn't be helped. Don't take money from other research to put it into alcoholism....do you think they will find a cure for it? I think they have one of those already, it's called stop fucking pouring it down your throat. And yes, I understand it's not easy but they help you. it's right they help you, but what do you expect to gain from research? Some pill that allows you to drink without becoming addicted to an addictive substance? I think they already have pills that just make you violently sick if you drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

lolz90 wrote: »
    When I was about 16 I originally contracted Septic Cockled Throat

I'm so sorry to be laughing but that is hysterical. Do you mean Streptococcal throat??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

yore wrote: »
    no offense, but to the suggestion that "a lot of tax money needs to be put into" alcoholism and taken from cancer/heart disease research I'd have to say .....me bollix

I'm not saying it's not a terrible disease or that people shouldn't be helped. Don't take money from other research to put it into alcoholism....do you think they will find a cure for it? I think they have one of those already, it's called stop fucking pouring it down your throat. And yes, I understand it's not easy but they help you. it's right they help you, but what do you expect to gain from research? Some pill that allows you to drink without becoming addicted to an addictive substance? I think they already have pills that just make you violently sick if you drink.

Think there might have been just a touch of sarcasm in that post :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I've struggled with manflu in the past but luckily I've always been in easy reach of my Mam at the time, she knows how to fix it she comes over to our place and cooks me lovely meals and brings my bed quilts from back home over and gets me off to sleep on the coach.:)

You're right, that is the sickest you've ever been!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Consciousness.It cleared up quick enough though.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

GCS - Giant Cock Syndrome. Had it for as long as I can remember. The bird seems not to mind tho

Pa Dee wrote: »
    GCS - Giant Cock Syndrome. Had it for as long as I can remember. The bird seems not to mind tho

Actually that stands for - Giant Cúnt Syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Calibos wrote: »
    If you had the Flu, you wouldn't have been able to climb out of the bed to go for a smoke, you wouldn't have been able to lift the weight of the smoke with your arm, a smoke would have been the last thing on your mind what with wanting to curl up and die 'n all.

:D

i never said i was in bed, im in the sitting room, i wouldnt be online with my 6 month old son beside me

You went outside for a smoke with your 6 month old.did he enjoy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Flu. Had it twice in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I am actually pretty healthy very rarely sick have not had a sick day inyears but

When I was 16 I got viral mengitis
    At 17 I had an allergic reaction that caused my throat to close up so I couldn't breath.
    At 22 I fractured 3 vertebrae.
    25 Glandular fever
    26 had a very very bad bout of food poisoning that knocked me out for a week (and brought on hemorrhoids)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

A Sore Throat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Pleurisy. I'll never forget it. The slightest movement the wrong way or breathing in too deeply or laughing literally felt like being stabbed in the chest a bunch of times and that was whilst taking multiple muscle relaxants and painkillers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Just the depression for me. Can be a right pain in the @rse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Piles. :eek:

Not actually the worst illness I've ever had, but definitely a real pain in the arse. :D:D:D

Swine flu.
    Oh holy mother of god I just wanted to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Bladder infection...peeing blood was absolutely horrendous and terrifying before I knew what the hell was going on!

Also ,got a really bad sinus infection before. Felt like I had a brain tumor or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

The worst I had was the flu along with a chest infection. The doc suspected pneumonia but thankfully it wasn't. It was over Christmas
    and fairly dark outside (and inside) the whole time. I'd wake up and look at the clock but wouldn't have a clue if it was am or pm, never
    mind what day it was. It was 5 days of shivering, sweaty bedsheets and demented dreams, with a 13hr trip to A&E too where they had
    tv3 on the whole day in the waiting room, but it could have been worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Hand foot and mouth disease. People kept saying " I thought only cows got that" and other witty responses.
    Hands and feet went numb and couldnt walk from the blisters on my feet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I had Meckel's Diverticulitis when i was 7yrs and i had to have a blood transfusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

This thread is a hypochondriac's nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Arktura

prob cancer, that sucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

Just a chest infection when I was a kid. Not being able to walk because I couldnt breath in enough air sucked nevermind the balls of green snot that came out every 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Whilst not an illness per-say, I lost my pinkie in a work accident in 1999.

Now, at the time it didn't hurt too much, but the following months of treatment were some of the darkest, and most painful I've known.

Couple the physical pain of losing a digit, with the fact that a week after that, I split up with a long term girl friend (I suppose the first love of my life) and obviously couldn't work on doctors orders, couldn't drive as the insurer's wouldn't cover me with the splint I had made for me by the plastic surgeons. Stuck in the gaff, in pain, no girl anymore, nothing to get up for in the mornings.

Man, life was pretty low back then the more in think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

Ghandee, if it was up to me you'd win this thread, sounds like a horrible time!

I've been lucky enough to not really have anything major yet, just very bad 'morning' sickness all day everyday for the whole of my pregnancy. Spent most of the time in and out of hospital!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've had proper flu and that was hell, but the worst was the stomach problem I used to get frequently when I was a teenager. Worst part is the doctors couldn't figure out what it was, I had ultrasounds and all but nothing.

I would be in crippling pain, like a cross between being stabbed and someone squeezing your stomach in a vice. I couldn't sleep properly for weeks and I couldn't eat anythnig except tiny portions of nasty watered down yoghurt and broth

On the plus side I was super thin for a while.

Oh and if we're just talking injuries here an escalator caught the string of my coat, pulled me down and tore my back to shreds. Still have the scars. The most painful bit of that though was trying to get the elastoplasts off that some moron who worked in the shop put on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bear flu

Turned out to just be a cold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Worst I ever had was on the verge of Pneumonia... I had been sick in bed with what I thought was just a heavy cold, wasn't shifting, so got the doctor out, turned out it was a really severe flu and chest infection with fluid starting to build up on my lungs. The doctor ATE me for leaving it for so long. A course of giant sized antibiotics and steroids later I was grand. Doctor was surprised how quickly the antibiotics worked, cos apparently I was really that sick, but that was the first time in 7 years I had them, and I haven't had them since!

• Advertisement
Advertisement