Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Illness You Ever Had

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Duiske wrote: »
    Had a Peritonsillar abscess,(quinsy) which I thought was just a sore throat and did not bother going to the doc. Ended up in ICU in Beaumont and almost died. For someone who would love to think I'll go out in a blaze of glory, being choked to death by my own tonsils would have been a piss poor way to depart this life.

I had that, they told me i was only hours from death, spent 4 days in hospital after. Not a nice dose..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Chicken pox when I was 16. I had heard its worse when you are in your teens/adult hood and they weren't joking. It was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

When I was a kid, I had the worst health ever..

Pneumonia, twice. Meningitis.. And a recurring dislocation of my kneecaps.. Docs thought I'd grow out of it so sent me to physio but it didn't help so when I was 14 I had to have major surgery on my left knee, now I have an 8 inch scar going up my leg.. At 22 I had the other leg done, after dialocating my other kneecap while sitting on the luas.. (dont ask!!)

And hyperemesis.. Jesus H. Christ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

On an slightly related note, I feel like a god damn hypochondriac lately. I have been to the doctors/hospital more times than I can count in the past year for several different things. The thing is, I very rarely get sick. I just have a ****e load of other problems. At this stage, I just dont want to show up to the doctors again as he probably thinks im imagining this crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

cocoshovel wrote: »
    On an slightly related note, I feel like a god damn hypochondriac lately. I have been to the doctors/hospital more times than I can count in the past year for several different things. The thing is, I very rarely get sick. I just have a ****e load of other problems. At this stage, I just dont want to show up to the doctors again as he probably thinks im imagining this crap.

Know exactly how you feel.
    I can completely relate to that.
    Most people, including doctors do actually start thinking you're imagining stuff after a while. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Know exactly how you feel.
    I can completely relate to that.
    Most people, including doctors do actually start thinking you're imagining stuff after a while. :(

Countless blood tests
    X-rays
    Ultrasounds
    Repeated checkups
    Medication and anti-biotics
    Pain Killers
    Unknown causes and just having to put up with it
    Surgeries
    Goes away for a month, then comes back even worse.

Blegh. I know I'm not a hypochondriac because Im not constantly worrying about my health, rather Im constantly suffering and things impeding my day to day activities.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I had scarlet fever as a child.. It was horrible.. among some of the horrible symptoms I recall the inside of my mouth being riddled with ulcers.. all over my tongue and down my throat..

It was horrendous.. I could barely eat for weeks.

Recovering from a tonsillectomy would come a close second place.. the spasms.. Oh LORD, the spasms :eek: :(

Other than that I've been pretty lucky.. never had any real problems so to speak.

*touch wood*

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

I got the mumps while on holiday in Asia. But I couldn't stop throwing up either and got really weak. The porter at the hospital still managed a polite smile when I handed him a paper bag dripping with sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

Tuberculosis. Coughing up mouthfuls of blood isn't a pleasant experience :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Really bad food poisoning that had me projectile vomiting for about three days. Stomach cramps, fever, couldn't hold down water. On day three I started vomiting pure blood. It was horrible I just wanted to die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Cystic Fibrosis :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Depression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

xzanti wrote: »
    Recovering from a tonsillectomy would come a close second place.. the spasms.. Oh LORD, the spasms :eek: :(

+1 I got my tonsils taking out when I was 21, I was in hospital for 4 days and off work for a month with the pain and I lost a stone and a half from not being able to eat :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Spontaneous Hemothorax. Wasn't nice at all. Twas ****ing painful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Had an ear infection when I was 14. Omg I have never experienced pain like it. I couldn't chew anything for 2 weeks as moving my jaw felt like someone sticking needles into my head. And then my eardrum burst. That was very painful. Still have ear problems because of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dempsey wrote: »
    The antibiotics I had to take were the size of bullets.
    are you sure they were to be taken orally ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

bowel adhesions.....puking bile aint fun. id like to take this oppurtunity to say... "never look for a diagnosis for anything online"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Coal1978

Autism

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Had quite severe tonsillitis at about 5, thank god I can't remember it, seemingly I was projectile vomiting blood. Had a bad case of pneumonia 2 years in a row as a kid, then spent the next 15 years having lung issues, Dr.'s reckon the 2 bouts of pneumonia damaged my lungs. I pick up any throat/chest infection going and always end up on steroids to shake it. I think the worst time was when I ended up with an ear/nose/throat/chest infection while working away in the UK, had to fly home nearly delirious to see my Dr and ended up sleeping for about 3 weeks, only really waking to take meds.
    At least I could sleep through those, I'd take pneumonia any day over the winter vomiting bug, I've had it twice, once about 7 years ago, and had it Christmas week this year on top of being pregnant and having morning sickness. I spent a week in bed recovering and missed all of Christmas, every nerve felt on fire, I physically couldn't move to get comfortable, even my hair hurt.

• Advertisement

A lot of people laugh it off when I say this, but period pains. Some women don't get them at all, so it's easy to think I'm just being oversensitive, but I honestly used to get such bad symptoms.

I'd wake up ~4am.
    Diarrhoea.
    Vomiting (at the same time). A lot of vomiting.
    Severe abdominal pain and pain in my "lady places" (that's code for vagina).
    Migraine.
    Felt horribly cold.
    Sweating.
    Shaking.
    So weak I wouldn't be able to walk.

Basically from the ages of 11-19, every few months (the best bit was that they were so irregular I couldn't plan ahead for them), I was in that state, curled up with a blanket and a basin in my bathroom, not even able to get a glass of water for myself. And painkillers make me nauseous (and also don't seem to work on me) so there was nothing I could do except wait it out. My family would be up at around 9am and give me a hand but as a kid lying on the bathroom floor, sometimes swallowing the puke because I couldn't sit up to lean into the toilet, it was terrifying.

When I got to college I went to the doctor and she gave me some tests and put me on the pill (which cleared up the symptoms so I only get regular pains now) but we never found out what was wrong. To this day I'm concerned I may be infertile. But worse things happen at sea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Diabetes, fcuking ruining my life at the moment,I am pissing 30 times a day and always tired as I can't sleep.

I saw this a few months ago, thought you might be interested.. (I dont have it myself but a cousin does)

Simply Raw, Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I always seem to be in the throws of broncitius, especially these last couple of weeks. Chronic coughing to the point of passing out. Not fun.
    But the worst illness I have suffered is mental illness. I had a hypomanic pyschotic episode two years ago which resulted in a 6 week stay in a mental hospital and long-term dosages of anti-psychotic medication.
    I'm still not over it, which is the worst part.
    I have to attend regular visits with a psychiatric clinic every month. I hate it but I put up with it as I'd rather not be hospitalised again.
    I punched a nurse whilst in the throws of hysteria and it's something I deeply regret to this day. *cringes at memory*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

McChubbin wrote: »
    I punched a nurse whilst in the throws of hysteria and it's something I deeply regret to this day. *cringes at memory*

I am sure the nurse would have understood the reason why it was done and that it was not personal, I am sure you are a very good person and it would not be held against you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

A lot of people laugh it off when I say this, but period pains. Some women don't get them at all, so it's easy to think I'm just being oversensitive, but I honestly used to get such bad symptoms.

I'd wake up ~4am.
    Diarrhoea.
    Migraine.
    Felt horribly cold.
    Sweating.
    Shaking.

Basically from the ages of 11-19, every few months (the best bit was that they were so irregular I couldn't plan ahead for them), I was in that state, curled up with a blanket and a basin in my bathroom, not even able to get a glass of water for myself. And painkillers make me nauseous (and also don't seem to work on me) so there was nothing I could do except wait it out. My family would be up at around 9am and give me a hand but as a kid lying on the bathroom floor, sometimes swallowing the puke because I couldn't sit up to lean into the toilet, it was terrifying.

When I got to college I went to the doctor and she gave me some tests and put me on the pill (which cleared up the symptoms so I only get regular pains now) but we never found out what was wrong. To this day I'm concerned I may be infertile. But worse things happen at sea!

Once I got a period that was exactly how you described there. The pain literally woke me up during the night and it was so horrible. It was one of the most painful experiences I ever had. I was lucky it only happened that one time, I really can't imagine how it was dealing with that every month :( You are a trooper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Kidney stones.....Had stent in for 4 weeks...when doctor was taking it out ( I was conscious ) the grappler failed and he said he would have to go in again!!!! Remember he has to take it out from your japseye!!!! When he was going back in he noticed it was at tip of my penis...Pulled it out with a tweezers....

Got kidney infection that night had to go back into hospital and pumped full of powerful antibiotics....Nightmare....Didnt get out of hospital for another 2 weeks....FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Fiona wrote: »
    I am sure the nurse would have understood the reason why it was done and that it was not personal, I am sure you are a very good person and it would not be held against you :(
    She came up to me after I calmed down and told me not to worry. I still felt really bad about it so when I was leaving the hospital, my mother sent her some flowers and a big box of chocolates.
    She was very sweet to me and patient but whilst she knew I meant nothing by it, I still feel bad about the fact that I actually physically hit someone who was only trying to help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

regularly I get a bit of chilli bum, I suffer from it after visiting my local indian the night before, its not for the faint hearted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Tonsillitis. I went through a phase of getting it every three weeks, and I'd be out of action for a week or two at a time. If you've ever had severe tonsillitis, you know that it feels like the devil has taken over your entire body.

(A tonsillectomy soon showed Mr. & Mrs. Tonsil who's boss!!)

That said, I'm extremely thankful that I haven't had to suffer anything worse, or chronic or life-threatening. It sounds like a lot of you have really been tested in life!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Really bad nausea and vomiting seems like the worst of the run-of-the-mill, non serious illnesses. I was so sick from a stomach bug once that I puked up blood all right but the worst of it only lasted a few hours. It was horrendous though - if it had gone on for a few days, death would have been most desired...

Oh yeah two of my friends get frighteningly ill when in the rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Junkies have an addiction, smokers have a dirty habit, but alcoholics have a disease.

Source: ****er of an alcoholic father who chose when he worked and when he drank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I was born with most of my liver dead. I was jaundiced and had to be on a special diet . Whilst being treated for that I got Meningitis and was in an incubuator with drips everywhere. And then just for good measure when I was recovering from both of those I contracted Salmonella.

I pretty much spent the first 9 months of my life in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Pilonidal sinus. Don't do a google image search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I'd wake up ~4am.
    Diarrhoea.
    Migraine.
    Felt horribly cold.
    Sweating.
    Shaking.

I have pmdd - sounds very similar.
    Look it up maybe.
    Also I had a laporoscopy to check for endometriosis, but I had pelvic inflammatory disease instead.
    Maybe get a refferal to a gynae to get properly checked out, if you don't already go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Pilonidal sinus. Don't do a google image search.

I Wikipedia'd it. I didn't bank on an image showing up. One did.

La la la la la la la la..........

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

Alcoholism.

Doesn't get the credit as a disease that it deserves, some people seem to think it's a matter of choice, but it isn't. A lot of tax money needs to put into this disease, perhaps at the expense of things like cancer and heart disease research, but so be it.

Yes, let's sacrifice the services for such illnesses to help cure a self inflicted one.

Poor me, poor me, poor me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Yes, let's sacrifice the services for such illnesses to help cure a self inflicted one.

Pour me, pour me, pour me...

FYP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

yore wrote: »
    no offense, but to the suggestion that "a lot of tax money needs to be put into" alcoholism and taken from cancer/heart disease research I'd have to say .....me bollix

I'm not saying it's not a terrible disease or that people shouldn't be helped. Don't take money from other research to put it into alcoholism....do you think they will find a cure for it? I think they have one of those already, it's called stop fucking pouring it down your throat. And yes, I understand it's not easy but they help you. it's right they help you, but what do you expect to gain from research? Some pill that allows you to drink without becoming addicted to an addictive substance? I think they already have pills that just make you violently sick if you drink.

Poor me, poor me, poor me...

I think that's a little bit callous. Alcoholics suffer just like all others afflicted with disease. In an ideal world we would have sufficient resources to eradicate all of these problems, but we don't. We have to decide which areas deserve our time, money and effort. Of course some people will die if a lot of money is taken from cancer research etc and put straight into programs to help alcoholics with their disease, but that is a consequence of the allocation of resources. Some alcoholics will be saved, some cancer patients will die. That's how the world works unfortunately....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

whirlpool wrote: »
    I Wikipedia'd it. I didn't bank on an image showing up. One did.

La la la la la la la la..........

:(

Sorry. It was grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Alcoholism.

Doesn't get the credit as a disease that it deserves, some people seem to think it's a matter of choice, but it isn't. A lot of tax money needs to put into this disease, perhaps at the expense of things like cancer and heart disease research, but so be it.

Its not a disease ffs, come on. You may have a genetic disposition to addiction, but you still have a choice. You were not born with the bottle of booze in your hand, or were you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I dont know if its an illness, but when I try to sleep i feel like there are hands grabbing at me and I have to turn on the lights because im scared.
    They give me tablets but they dont work so I suffer in silence telling everyone.

• Advertisement

Overflow wrote: »
    Its not a disease ffs, come on. You may have a genetic disposition to addiction, but you still have a choice. You were not born with the bottle of booze in your hand, or were you ?

Yeah, it is mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Had a tumour removed from my neck twice before two months of radiotherapy. Should have just been three weeks but I had such a bad reaction to it, that they had to keep stopping and starting again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am a 5 year oesophageal cancer survivor. Before diagnosis I was unable to swallow food, eventually it got to the stage that I would carry a bag and get ill when I had water. Got pneumonia and acute kidney failure after the surgery but I am thrilled to be still alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Once after surgery I woke up with a sore mouth & throat so I got some manuka honey to help with the pain.. It didnt help and was agony. I ended up getting enormous mouth ulcers all over my mouth, tongue & throat so bad that I couldnt eat for almost a week and lost loads of weight.. I eventually figured out that a cold milkshake numbed the pain so I could eat small soft things.. Oh Lord the pain was unbearable. I had to rinse with Difflam every hour & take all sorts of steroids & painkillers. The doctors still have no idea what caused it... I get them the odd time now when I'm run down but Ly-lysine tablets & healthy diet help..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SiobhZero

OK, so this isn't really bad, but has anyone got a cold recently that took like 3 weeks to go?

I've this bugger of a cold for the past 3 weeks and still shows no sign of letting up. Big green booggies, phlegm, cough, tiredness the lot, no I not in bed feeling like I'm gonna dye, have a 10 month old, so thats out of the question :)

SiobhZero wrote: »
    no I not in bed feeling like I'm gonna dye

True, the urge towards rash changes in appearance often increases when one has a cold, you've done well to resist that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Depression

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

man flu is horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

if alcoholism is a disease then so is drug addiction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If alcoholism is a disease then so are all other addictions.

Advertisement