Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Illness You Ever Had

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

As i type this im shivering and cold even though its warm, i went outside for a smoke a few mins ago and shivered like a dog in heat.
    its the classic symptoms of a flu or cellulitis, which i had just over a year ago. i hope to god its not cellulitis again as its awful and i wouldnt wish it on anyone plus doctors and medication arent cheap

thankfully though, thats the worst illness ive ever had, touch wood

whats the worst illness youve had?

Gonorrhea followed by chicken pox. Oh and if it being thrown out there ADDICTION. Not just to drink and drugs. According to a therapist I saw I am addicted to 'risky behaviours'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Thats the thread over then now once they started on the borefest about alcoholism and disease.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

SiobhZero wrote: »
    OK, so this isn't really bad, but has anyone got a cold recently that took like 3 weeks to go?

I've this bugger of a cold for the past 3 weeks and still shows no sign of letting up. Big green booggies, phlegm, cough, tiredness the lot, no I not in bed feeling like I'm gonna dye, have a 10 month old, so thats out of the question :)

If its green then its more then likely an infection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Thought glandular fever was bad 3 months in bed when I was small . Then diagnosed with proctitus which after 2 months became bad ..... toxic mega colon . Ended up in hospital for tests left after 3 months . Spent most of it in intensive care . Induced coma cause I got septiciemia . Jesus the most if it was a blur because of morphine .. And the dreams !!! or nightmares . . Took a year to recover and now I am on a chemo drug to suppress my immune system so I'm still living this nightmare .

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

Thanks to a perforated appendix left for nine days, a combination of the entire bowel region infected due to peritonitis, and the huge abscess never helped matters! I've never seen so many tubes in weird places until I got to see myself after the operation - although some were put in while awake, and taken out while awake.

I say this now, if you want to avoid such a fate, (I haven't begun to describe), if you have a pain somewhere in your appendix region, get it checked as much as you can! Doctors, nurses etc., they misdiagnose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Really severe Crohn's Disease. Had years at a time where I'd be in crippling pain every day, fatigued constantly, no appetite so was literally a skeleton, diarrhoea thirty times a day...no exaggeration.

Then developed side effects to the disease e.g. osteoporosis at 16, athralgia, erythema nodosum (never been in more pain in my life, even just lying down not moving with a blanket on me felt like a thousand knives were twisting in my legs. Painkillers did absolutely nothing to kill the pain).

Septicaemia and septic shock where my organs started to shut down. Worst night of my life. My heart was going crazy and I felt like I was dying. Actually nearly did die. Sweated so much that night that the bedsheets were soaking and my hair felt like it had been dunked in the sea. Had a seizure and three doctors couldn't keep me still. Ended up in intensive care for a month.

Had an allergic reaction to an anti-nausea drug where I collapsed and my heart went crazy. Felt like I floated outside my body! Whole body was numb and I couldn't move for 3 hours and I couldn't talk.

Have also had pneumonia three times, cellulitis twice and swine flu just the once. Lols.

More recently, had internal bleeding and had to get transfusions.

Think that's about it...

Most nights I have to pass an NG tube through my nose and into my stomach so I can be fed by night. On a chemotherapy drug at the moment too, it's very strong and toxic but it's working so that's great! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Jesus ViveLaVie some of what u said there is a carbon copy of my time ..
    I am on the chemo drug as they are treating me as crohns now only because they could not decide for 5 years what I had .
    By the way the floating experience I had was when I bottomed out in a ward in the hosp and they spent a while doing resuss on me bringing me back . There was no explanation given why that happened .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Gawd, compared to some of you I have been very lucky...

Appendicitis was probably the worst pain I have ever been in. I was in the hospital and the doctors would not give me pain killers till they could determine what the problem was.

I was in such agony I was trying to bribe the doctors if they were on their own. 'Give me painkillers, I will give you as much money as you want' :D (to no avail).

Wisdom teeth a close second. Gums cut, teeth yanked out and gums stitched back. That was horrific. I was not prepared for the pain from that. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I got Epiglottitis as a toddler. It's when the flap of skin that stops food going down your windpipe swells and blocks off your air supply. I don't remember a huge amount, but it did put the sh1ts up my parents.

Apart from that I've been quite lucky, aside from minor things like tonsillitis now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

The man flu:pac:

Terrible I tells ya:(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

jimpump wrote: »
    if alcoholism is a disease then so is drug addiction
    Confab wrote: »
    If alcoholism is a disease then so are all other addictions.
    woodoo wrote: »
    Thats the thread over then now once they started on the borefest about alcoholism and disease.

are yous all sayin dat it aint a disease like?

dis-ease= not at ease like

nun of yous no wat your on abou like

eh shame on yous?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

When I had an allergic reaction(or something) to a can of monster and broke out in welts all over mah body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Addiction of any kind is basically an extremely overpowering mental habit, no?

I wouldn't call it a "disease."

And what does it matter whether it falls under the heading of "disease" or not? If it's a serious problem that requires state funding to help solve, then so be it - "disease" or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Reading thru this thread I realise how lucky I've been healthwise.

Have almost died several times in my 43 years.

This was due to accidents & situations I got myself into.

I've had situations where I've almost drowned, suffocated, fallen from high places, road crashes etc..

The worst was in '93.

Driving home frm a work do, I crashed my car into the side of a house.

I was thrown thru the windscreen into a wall headfirst.

Dunno how I wasn't killed outright, but I was badly hurt as I was bleeding so badly.

I could actually feel that the life was seeping out of me & I didn't have much time left.

I knocked on the door of the house & luckily the lady of the house was a trained nurse.

Only for that, I would not be here today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Ketoacidosis jaysus. Lucky to be alive.

It's not as serious as you might think, they're really good at treating it now, it was just the combination of it with the blood poisoning that made it more serious.

The hospital staff remembered me from a previous visit when I got Swine flu, also combined with the ketoacidosis. I got the swine flu twice, something to do with poor immune response. Had to stay in an isolation room. Worst part was the tv was gone, just an empty stand to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Apendix, was horrible! burst n all! rotten stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

just recovered from an ulcer on my uvulva. (dangly bit at the back of your throat)

twas a nightmare in constant pain for two weeks. when the pain killers wore off I got a throbbing pain in my throat and felt like it was about to explode that then spread to my head, jaw, teeth and left ear.

Couldnt talk, eat food hardly at all or drink anything except honey. it even hurt to breathe.

Wouldnt wish it on anyone. nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Had meningitis C when I was 5, was told I was lucky to have survived. More recently I was in a car accident where some moron broke the light and ploughed into me. Hospital, operation, bla bla you get the story so thank Odin, Osiris and Ostara Im alive (as you can see the 'O' gods are the gods i'm thanking this week :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Had a few tumors in my stomach when I was a kid and had a stroke 2 years and 8 months ago.

Besides that, not much to complain about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Swine Flu! Was quite lovely, two weeks of wanting to die. Feel like a bitch now though, hearing about people being fired into walls and exploding from the inside out!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Swine Flu! Was quite lovely, two weeks of wanting to die. Feel like a bitch now though, hearing about people being fired into walls and exploding from the inside out!

HAd it myself July 3 years ago, was ****ing awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Pnuemonia so bad that part of my lung collapsed and never re-inflated:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Apart from mental illnesses never been too sick! Few bouts of food poisoning that were harsh (never eat dried mushrooms from a vacuum pack written in Chinese) and the flu once.

I r a pillar of health mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    Jesus ViveLaVie some of what u said there is a carbon copy of my time ..
    I am on the chemo drug as they are treating me as crohns now only because they could not decide for 5 years what I had .
    By the way the floating experience I had was when I bottomed out in a ward in the hosp and they spent a while doing resuss on me bringing me back . There was no explanation given why that happened .

Ya I often find little to no explanation is given for random things! You poor thing, I can imagine the frustration of going through five years not knowing must have been horrendous. Are you feeling alright at the moment? Luckily I've been having a nice period of remission the last few months, so I'm really grateful for that. The drug is scary, but worth the risk IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

pilonidal cyst

204837.jpg

Mod note: NSFW and very icky.

*that's not me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

al28283 wrote: »
    pilonidal cyst

204837.jpg

*that's not me

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy. Makes me want to just get a spoon and dig it out. Bleugh. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

al28283 wrote: »

Mod note: NSFW and very icky.

Does that mean I win? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Pain wise: infected gallbladder and stones blocking the bile duct

Life threatening wise: Asthma attack when I had pneumonia and was only about an hour from death according to the A&E crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Had an athsma attack when i was very young, stopped breathing, turned blue, i was probably only 2 at the time, i cant remember, but i survived it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Yeah, it is mate.

Em no its not ! Please be so kind to explain exactly how you think it is a disease. Im guessing you chose not to read the rest of my response about genetic dispositions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

are yous all sayin dat it aint a disease like?

dis-ease= not at ease like

nun of yous no wat your on abou like

eh shame on yous?

Ok, self inflicted dis-ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

I got shingles a few month a go, not too serious bad since I'm only in my 20s the was a bit of mocking for getting such an old persons illness.

In hospital now recovering from a stroke, go figure. I just waiting to the arthritis to kick in too to make me feel like a proper old man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I gots me some Crohns disease.

Was bad for a while, lots of pain, weight loss. Now I'm alllllllllright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

the shingles.... aged 20, right during my second year college exams, 2 weeks of itching, stinging, and yucky sores. cant sleep cos your back, sides & stomach hurts. and you look like you got a map of the milkyway on your body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I've had this persistent cough for the last 2 months that just won't go away.

Started with bad fever spiking at 42 degrees. That lasted a week, and the cough remains.

• Advertisement
Advertisement