Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you ready?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

anyone trys to rob my house,ill just slap em over the head with my knob.
    Tbh.
    You do not need to have your gun in that state,just a safe box.
    And keep ammo somewere else.
    But im sure blay will tell you more.
    Im goin by the law i know from a few years ago.
    And this is ireland.the land that is soo fast on bringin in new laws asap.as we all know..lol.
    Typin from my phone,so i dont know how to do rolleyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

No and it's someway related to why I'm still awake at this ungodly hour. I know if anyone wanted to they could just walk in to my home and I would have no way to protect myself or my child. So most nights I just stay awake.
    I have a security light out back and it's on all the time, I have a small dog who will bark at the beating of a moths wing and that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

Have the nosiest neighbours in the country, the whole village would know before us if someone broke into the house....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

You're such a badass Pottler.

You should take a picture of yourself showing your ultra cool dragon tattoos and holding some pistols. Think how cool and badass that would look.
    Cheers buddy. I've a firearms licence anyway so I don't need the illegal variety. Badass? Is that a bit like a dagsass? I thought a dag was a lump of encrusted sh1te that farmers have to trim off sheeps holes.
    I don't need a gun for self defence anyway, I'd just beat the intruder to death with my huge mickey. The missus brought it back from disneyland paris - the heads solid plastic, one belt from that and a lad would have to run for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

My family fuked off on holidays one christmas when I was a kid and when I was in the house on my own these baddies tried to break in.

I devised an hilarious sequence of amusing slapstick traps for them to fall into, thereby seeing them off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Sky King wrote: »
    My family fuked off on holidays one christmas when I was a kid and when I was in the house on my own these baddies tried to break in.

I devised an hilarious sequence of amusing slapstick traps for them to fall into, thereby seeing them off.

You might even say you were "home alone." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

I'm ready :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Personally speaking I always plan ahead for intruders and such types. Hanging from the bedpost on a shoestring is a baseball bat, just in case in a deep sleep I am remotely able to defend myself when an intruder enters.

At my front and back door are used golf clubs hidden in strategic places just in case our home faces an attack.

I also keep a large arsenal of knives in a knife drawer for cooking mainly but if ever came the need to defend myself I know where they are.

So are you ready for an attack?
    No.
    I am too busy living a normal life as oppossed to one based on an irrational fear of being attacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

lividduck wrote: »
    No.
    I am too busy living a normal life as oppossed to one based on an irrational fear of being attacked.
    My house is on a corner of two adjoining streets few of which have a side entrance, mine happens to be one which gives access to most of back gardens of all the other houses on the block. As it is half the houses up here have reported some attempt at being broken into. It's mostly elderly people who live round here and one old neighbour after being broken into previously erected iron bars across the rear windows of her house. Another neighbour directly behind me walked in to her kitchen a couple of months ago to find some stranger in there walking out with her purse.
    I don't live in a housing estate, I live in an older residential area which is close to more affluent part of town and attempted house breakings are not that uncommon. When I moved in here first (13 years ago) I was up playing video games late one night early morning when I happened to look out the window to see someone staring in at me. I had a German shepherd at the time but it still terrified me and I called the gaurds. All was quiet by the time they got here but since then I've always been vigilent, I will hear the smallest movement outside and all I can do is try to remain calm and stay still.
    As recently as a week ago I heard rummaging around at the back of the house and found the shed door broken open the next day with flower pots broken beside it.
    There is nothing irrational about this fear at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Babybuff wrote: »
    When I moved in here first (13 years ago) I was up playing video games late one night early morning when I happened to look out the window to see someone staring in at me.

Waah, face at the window! Face at the window is my biggest fear! :eek:

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Waah, face at the window! Face at the window is my biggest fear! :eek:
    yeah, two big googly eyes staring back at me. I let out a bit of a girly scream alright. All these years later and I know it must have been someone I knew/know. I thought at first maybe it was one of the older neighbours who was a bit of a perv but on closer consideration I think it might have been someone who called themselves a friend. I found him wandering around this way (unnoticed) when he had no particular reason to be. (it's not like somewhere you would walk to get to somewhere else) I remember telling him all about it the next day and he went out and bought a security camera to make me feel safer. (he had a bit of a stalkerish personality, intentionally or not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I used to live in an appartment block in derry, place was always being broken into. One night I woke to someone trying to get in the door. Had a big handful of coins on the table beside the bed so just threw them as hard as I could at the guys face as he was coming in the door. Managed to get the door jammed shut again and called the police. He was long gone by the time they arrived tho.

And had to change my boxers before they arrived too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

outtagetme wrote: »
    You CANNOT own a firearm in Ireland without a valid reason to own one. Forget all the tongue-in-cheek foolishness I've written about being an intruder. That was merely in jest to point out the futility of worrying about intrusion.
    If you are a land owner or have permission from a land owner then you may, after strict vetting, possess 2 calibres, a .22 rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun. I should know. My uncle in your neck of the woods has a .22 for killing rabbits and an Ithaca 5 shell pump action and Browning 2000 4 shell automatic shotgun.....those are for the crows. And that's it.

You cannot possess any other kind of weapon...certainly not one whose primary function is to kill humans rather than vermin.
    You may possess a pistol registered with a gun club but this firearm must be unloaded at all times outside of the club and if housed in the premises of the owner must be stored in an ALARMED safe.

This crap about Glocks and Tek-9's and other gibberish is just that...gibberish.

Can only own a .22 rifle and a 12gauge!!!! wake up you fool you know very little..... I have many different rifles at home .223/.220swift/30.06/and a .270 and also a 12g semi-auto shotgun and a 9mm h&k usp and thay are all fully licenced and legal..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

TomBeckett wrote: »
    outtagetme wrote: »
    You CANNOT own a firearm in Ireland without a valid reason to own one. Forget all the tongue-in-cheek foolishness I've written about being an intruder. That was merely in jest to point out the futility of worrying about intrusion.
    If you are a land owner or have permission from a land owner then you may, after strict vetting, possess 2 calibres, a .22 rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun. I should know. My uncle in your neck of the woods has a .22 for killing rabbits and an Ithaca 5 shell pump action and Browning 2000 4 shell automatic shotgun.....those are for the crows. And that's it.

You cannot possess any other kind of weapon...certainly not one whose primary function is to kill humans rather than vermin.
    You may possess a pistol registered with a gun club but this firearm must be unloaded at all times outside of the club and if housed in the premises of the owner must be stored in an ALARMED safe.

This crap about Glocks and Tek-9's and other gibberish is just that...gibberish.

Can only own a .22 rifle and a 12gauge!!!! wake up you fool you know very little..... I have many different rifles at home .223/.220swift/30.06/and a .270 and also a 12g semi-auto shotgun and a 9mm h&k usp and thay are all fully licenced and legal..........

+1

You can own varying calibers of firearms in Ireland while having them legally licenced. However all responsible gun owners keep there guns unloaded and in an appropriate safe so are of little or no use to you if you wake up to an intruder in your house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

kowloon wrote: »
    Have a firearm in the house but the intruder has to promise to play fair as it takes a while to deal with alarms, locks and firearm assembly. I keep the ammo and some parts hidden elsewhere.

What if you happen to be cleaning your Firearm at the time they decide to break in? ;)

/slight tangent

Is it difficult to get a pistol licence for target shooting?

/slight tangent

You should ask in the Shooting forum.

Short answer is, it can be difficult, depending on where you live.

There doesn't seem to be a short answer, and I looked at the stickies in the shooting forum which basically are a copy and paste job of pages of fine print legislation I don't want to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

What if you happen to be cleaning your Firearm at the time they decide to break in? ;)

They'd likely smell the bull**** off that a mile away:pac:
    /slight tangent

You have to be a member of a range that accommodates pistol shooting and have the proper security, no more difficult than any other firearm.

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    They'd likely smell the bull**** off that a mile away:pac:

Nothing wrong with a bit of late night lamping Gardai ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Are you ready?

Its the first time that I've entered this thread.
    Thought it had to do with the digital switch-over and the box "SAORVIEW" RTE are try to flog (that is crap in stations).
    Its not, so the above is best left to another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

Friend of mine was awoken from his slumber a few weeks ago.
    His Mrs was absolutely hysterical and crying she heard noises from downstairs. The 2 of them lay there ,ears cocked listening out for anything untoward.
    Can you imagine the fear? Just awake with a headache from those cans you inebriated yourself with hours earlier.Hey it's a Saturday night ...Everyone gets them in on a Saturday night!
    Anyway the lad, being the head of the house gets up to investigate and his heart sinks when he sees the silhouttes of two intruders at the bottom of the stairs.
    One is carrying a long implement...probabaly a screwdriver and the other, a crowbar. He's slamming it into the wall and saying nothing...just the 2 dark figures below. He's ****ting himself. One of the scumbags shouts up menacingly " Keys of the ****ing car". The lad says to them they're in the kitchen somewhere and he'd have to walk past them to retreive them.He pleads to them not to strike him as he passes.
    Just then a taxi pulls up outside and the two scobies leg it.
    I think it's gas all the little trolls here taking the piss out of people.
    Tell you this....The boys in blue won't be able to protect you at that hour of the morning...Better to have a bit of ammo when the scum come and they may do soon....Happening all over the country currently. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Just then a taxi pulls up outside and the two scobies leg it.

I don't understand why they ran to take the taxi? They were just about to get hold of the car keys. Maybe they were in a mad rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Biggins wrote: »
    Its the first time that I've entered this thread.
    Thought it had to do with the digital switch-over and the box "SAORVIEW" RTE are try to flog (that is crap in stations).
    Its not, so the above is best left to another thread.

:pac: Gas reply biggins.

It's very, very hard to convince a Superintendent to licence you for anything bigger than a .22 or a 12 gauge(I've both, a 5 shot bolt action and an under/over). It's possible, but it's hard and you need a good reason/be a club member.
    Pistols are also hard to get licenced for, but I gotta laugh at those mocking what I said about getting one in 20 minutes. Going rate is peanuts, c.a €200-€400 plus a tenner for a round of ammo and anyone vaguely out and about can vouch for that. If you think that is bravado/bull****, you need to take a second look at the country you are living in, you might be missing somthing. Why you would want one is beyond me because you have no idea what the nice lad selling it did with it last and if caught with it you might need a good excuse for far more than just illegal posession. Totally for the mad/scumbags, but there you go. On the burglary front, I dunno, just blast them with pi55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Personally speaking I always plan ahead for intruders and such types. Hanging from the bedpost on a shoestring is a baseball bat, just in case in a deep sleep I am remotely able to defend myself when an intruder enters.

At my front and back door are used golf clubs hidden in strategic places just in case our home faces an attack.

I also keep a large arsenal of knives in a knife drawer for cooking mainly but if ever came the need to defend myself I know where they are.

So are you ready for an attack?

I know when I go out to do a job I really appreciate it if the woman of the house has left weapons handy at the entry/exit points, and beside her bed.

Also, to know that if she does wake up, she'll go and get me a knife from the kitchen for me to stab her with is a great comfort, and cuts down on my need to carry offensive weapons as I make my way from burglary to burglary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Pottler wrote: »
    It's very, very hard to convince a Superintendent to licence you for anything bigger than a .22 or a 12 gauge(I've both, a 5 shot bolt action and an under/over). It's possible, but it's hard and you need a good reason/be a club member.

No it's not, you can have anything up to a .308 unrestricted, people get them for shooting foxes/deer etc. plus target shooting. It is not hard to licence a centrefire rifle if you have the proper security and a reason for it. The days when the limit was a .22 are past thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Small water pistol and Zippo. U can guess contents of water pistol. Works a treat

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    No it's not, you can have anything up to a .308 unrestricted, people get them for shooting foxes/deer etc. plus target shooting. It is not hard to licence a centrefire rifle if you have the proper security and a reason for it. The days when the limit was a .22 are past thankfully.
    Probably where I'm living when it comes to the lic.laws:)-I've a licence 20 years now and last time I checked(about 7 years ago now tbh, above .22 was a pain to get, must have changed) Hmm, I've a fair bit of land and I regularily get lads I know coming in asking me to sign their licence application allowing them to shoot my ground. I usually do, but a lot get turned down anyway on application - seems about 50/50 to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Pottler wrote: »
    Pistols are also hard to get licenced for, but I gotta laugh at those mocking what I said about getting one in 20 minutes. Going rate is peanuts, c.a €200-€400 plus a tenner for a round of ammo and anyone vaguely out and about can vouch for that. If you think that is bravado/bull****, you need to take a second look at the country you are living in, you might be missing somthing. Why you would want one is beyond me because you have no idea what the nice lad selling it did with it last and if caught with it you might need a good excuse for far more than just illegal posession. Totally for the mad/scumbags, but there you go. On the burglary front, I dunno, just blast them with pi55.

WTF does this thing fire? Faberge Eggs?

Advertisement