Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to TRI

• 13-05-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,
    I'm very keen to do the Sprint Howth Triathlon this summer but the only problem is I'm worried about the swim that i wont be ready for it as i can only start training once my Leaving Cert finishes and that leaves me with about a month to get ready. I did swimming lessons up until the age of nine and I'm eighteen now but haven't properly swam since.
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out as to what the best way to go about getting my swim ready? I was thinking of getting a couple of one to one lessons just to get my technique good enough to practice on my own? Is there any better ways to get it ready?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Not wanting to sound flippant but have you tried just going to a pool and swimming the 750m non-stop and see how you get on?

If you can manage it even with a few stops then there's no real problem that more swimming and increased swim fitness won't help. There's plenty of swim plans on the internet that aim to get you to the 750m distance.

If you really feel that you need one-on-one lessons then they will no doubt benefit you immensely too and a good instructor will stop you from picking up bad habits before they form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 spinman

thanks for your reply :)
    so i eventually made it to a pool and managed to swim 300 meters before my breathing went crazy, this was done mainly breast stroke also.
    So i was wondering what the best way to improve would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

No harm doing breast stroke in your first triathlon, try doing 8x 100m with 15s rest, decreasing the rest periods until you can do it non stop

Advertisement