Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Def Leppard -Pyromania

• 13-05-2012 1:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Listening to this earlier-Great album full of classics -bought this on vinyl years ago

Def-Leppard-Pyromania.jpg

i suppose Photograph is the best on it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Have it on vinyl from back in the day as well. Loved Photograph which was probably why I bought it. A great album from just before the polish took over....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have this on very LOUD vinyl :) Mutt Lange really did have everything turned up to 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Bought it on release,great album. I haven't listened to vinyl in probably 20 years. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I do love Photograph and Foolin for the cheesiness and harmonies but Die Hard the Hunter is the best track, musically. It's pretty epic, good riffage and rockin solo.

I think Hysteria is a better album though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Remember being in Limerick in 1986 when they toured this album. To this day I find it hilarious that they were playing in the Savoy to maybe a couple of hundred people when one considers that they were already a big band at the time and Hysteria was only a year away.

• Advertisement

I can beat you on that front, I saw them at Katie Reilly's Kitchen on that same warm up tour. Admittedly the venue is not quite as quaint as the name suggests but its not very big.

set list from that Limerick gig - add your name!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/def-leppard/1986/savoy-limerick-ireland-43d04f7b.html

mike65 wrote: »
    I can beat you on that front, I saw them at Katie Reilly's Kitchen on that same warm up tour. Admittedly the venue is not quite as quaint as the name suggests but its not very big.

set list from that Limerick gig - add your name!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/def-leppard/1986/savoy-limerick-ireland-43d04f7b.html

So you can match me on that front then :p

To add to the list of seeing a band, who were on the cusp of releasing an album that went huge, in a small venue.

I saw Nirvana play in Sir Henrys in Cork city in August of 1991, one month before Nevermind was released, when they supported Sonic Youth there. Still have my signed ticket stub (Grohl) and my signed copy of Bleach from that night.

For Death metal fans, I also saw Carcass play in Ennis town of all places.

Okay you beat me :( :P

mike65 wrote: »
    Okay you beat me :( :P

You beat me in terms of age though.:D

Which means you probably got to see some classic bands in the late 70's and early 80's that I would have loved to have seen live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Outstanding album. It has a lot of standout songs, unlike the rock and metal mainstream bands of today, who only have two or three stand songs out of say ten. I think this album, 'On Through The Night, High 'N' Dry, Hysteria and 'Retro Active' are the very best albums. After that it was all downhill from there with patchy albums that only contained a couple of songs here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Absolutely Classic Album, still sounds amazing today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Love this album, great band, great album - so great it was the shirt I chose to wear when meeting Joe last year (I still have the shirt but it's taken quite a beating in general)

531261_10151492099335145_810160144_23647821_1011791787_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Pyromania is such a great album for sure. Rock of Ages, Die Hard the Hunter and Too Late for Love stand out for me.

I did not realise that Def Leppard played six shows around Ireland in 1986 before playing at the Monsters of Rock festival in Donnington. Would have been great to see them at this time in those small venues, I was much too young though unfortunately.

Were these the first shows Rick played after his accident does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

<controversy>

Overproduced...

(well over produced though, if you know what I mean, but it sounds "pop")

...and nowhere near a classic in rock/metal terms.

:)

Yes, plus a few dates in Holland if memory serves me, they had a guy play a second set of drums off the stage as a kind of back up but by the end of the second night Rick was outdoing him so they just let Rick go back to full speed.

The reason they played around Ireland was because Joe, Phil (and possibly Steve) also lived there at the time, they all rented a house for writing Hysteria in Dublin, and locked themselves away there for a few months...it seemed like the perfect place to perform as well because I remember Joe saying they were specifically down the country so as few of the "regulars" would turn up as possible in case Rick wasn't able to play to standard and they were treated like a nobody type rock band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah still love the album. First time I saw them live was in the TV Club in Dublin just before they headed off to the States to promote Pyromania.

Pyromania is such a great album for sure. Rock of Ages, Die Hard the Hunter and Too Late for Love stand out for me.

I did not realise that Def Leppard played six shows around Ireland in 1986 before playing at the Monsters of Rock festival in Donnington. Would have been great to see them at this time in those small venues, I was much too young though unfortunately.

There were two drummers at the Limerick show in 1986. Cannot remember who the other guy was, but he was there to play on certain songs for Rick.

EDIT: Jeff Rich was the second drummer. Just realised he is named in the link that Mike65 put up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

They talk about the Irish Tour with Jeff Rich on the Hysteria Classic Album DVD, which is a great watch actually..

Interesting piece, although those glasses do him no favours;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Love this album, great band, great album - so great it was the shirt I chose to wear when meeting Joe last year (I still have the shirt but it's taken quite a beating in general)

531261_10151492099335145_810160144_23647821_1011791787_n.jpg

Nice pic what's he like in "real life"

Used to love this album also and then of course hysteria

Man Im getting old

• Advertisement

I bought the tour t-shirt but I think it "washed out" in no time at all.

beeroclock wrote: »

Cheers, yeah, he was really nice and approachable. Turned out I was staying in the hotel room across the hall from him. So I can't fault him. Shook my hand, said hello, cracked some jokes with me. Waved to me during the gig that evening lol

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

beeroclock wrote: »

very decent and sociable, loves to chat about music.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

They are my fav rock band, can't fault albums like Pyro, Hysteria, Retro Active and Slang - yes! I think Slang doesn't get the credit it should have got, the album is raw, and has a diverse song list. Didn't like 'X' at all...

Actually Songs from the Sparkle lounge isn't that bad, it has three great tunes - Cruise Control, Gotta Let It Go and Bad Actress; bloody fantastic song!

Advertisement