Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one ever used contiki tour groups for travelling around Australia?

Options
  • 13-05-2012 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone on here has used contiki for travelling around Australia? Was recommended it by a friend and was thinking of going with them but I've been doing a bit of searching and they're getting mixed reviews. A good few complaints about too much drinking going on (I don't drink) and being rushed from one place to another. Also, some weren't happy with the tour guides, felt they did a poor job and only recommended certain places that were giving them a commission, with other complaints relating to the overnight accommodation being too far outside the nearest town to explore at night.

Has anyone used them before for Australia? Would like to hear others opinions or suggestions for alternatives (want to use a tour group as travelling on my own). Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Never used them, but I can recommend Adventure Tours Australia. Have used them 5 times now, for trips through Victoria, WA, SA and NT. Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Thanks for the recommendation, a few others on here have also recommended them and they seem to be getting positive reviews on other sites too so I'm definitely veering towards them. Just wondering what kind of accommodation they offer? Is it all sharing or is there an option to book single rooms? Single female travelling alone for the first time so I'm a bit wary about sharing with strangers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you are travelling on your own - as I said before - I would highly recommend Adventure Tours. They are v much suited to individual travellers. Many of their tours have small groups of no more than 15 so there is a very friendly atmosphere and everybody gets to know each other. I found that drinking was never an issue and generally you would seldom have groups. From my time it was either couples or people travelling on their own. Asians, Aussies, Germans and Irish generally made up the groups. So you had a very good mix of people.
    I found the guides excellent. They were very knowledgeable and very aware of catering to everybody's needs on the tour. My guides were working for the company for years - always a good sign. Unless you are a total pain in the ass you will find them excellent.
    As for accommodation it depends where you are touring. Accommodation can vary from hostel, huts, tents and even to the basic swag in the open desert. A swag is basically a waterproof sleeping bag with a mosquito net covering you. You then put your sleeping bag into it.
    Food is generally brought on the van and everybody gets involved to cook the food on a barbie or around a campfire. Sit down then and chat and drink a bottle or glass of wine.
    Great way to see the country.

If you are travelling on your own - as I said before - I would highly recommend Adventure Tours. They are v much suited to individual travellers. Many of their tours have small groups of no more than 15 so there is a very friendly atmosphere and everybody gets to know each other. I found that drinking was never an issue and generally you would seldom have groups. From my time it was either couples or people travelling on their own. Asians, Aussies, Germans and Irish generally made up the groups. So you had a very good mix of people.
    I found the guides excellent. They were very knowledgeable and very aware of catering to everybody's needs on the tour. My guides were working for the company for years - always a good sign. Unless you are a total pain in the ass you will find them excellent.
    As for accommodation it depends where you are touring. Accommodation can vary from hostel, huts, tents and even to the basic swag in the open desert. A swag is basically a waterproof sleeping bag with a mosquito net covering you. You then put your sleeping bag into it.
    Food is generally brought on the van and everybody gets involved to cook the food on a barbie or around a campfire. Sit down then and chat and drink a bottle or glass of wine.
    Great way to see the country.

Thanks, sounds great :) How far in advance did you have to book? Would it be ok to wait til I get over there or would you need to have booked well before that? Also came across another group AATKing when searching for tours, anyone have any experience with them? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 oz123

Hi,
    Just read your post I am in the same boat at the moment, female travelling alone for the first time and am looking for a tour group to join so that I am not completely alone. Who did you use in the end was it adverture tours australia and how did you find them?

• Advertisement

I looked up the adventure tours website and saw a tour that suited me (Cairns to Sydney) but when I read the itinerary it was actually operated by a group called Topdeck, so I ended up booking directly with them. I found it really good. While in Australia, I also did a day tour of the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne. I booked it through Adventure Tours but, like the Cairns to Sydney tour, it was operated by a different tour group, this time it was Autopia (found it overpriced compared to others available but booked it based on good reviews of adventure tours, only noticed afterwards it was run by a different company). From what I can remember, Australian adventure tours only operate in Northern Territory and Victoria, and any of the rest of their tours are ran by tour partners

As a female travelling alone, I found travelling in a group a good way to see things and it was nice to have a crowd to travel with. Spending so much time with the same people can get a bit claustrophobic though, so personally, I wouldn't go on tour any longer then 14 days (though you're not obliged to take part in all parts of the tour, as long as you let the tour guide know where you are you can head off on your own). If you're planning on spending some time in Australia on your own as well, you should probably start with a tour group as it will give you a chance to get used to travelling around and staying in hostels before having to do it on your own. Hope you have a great trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 oz123

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm actually going booking through topdeck (trail finders recommended them) so its great to know someone that has used them. It must be the same trip you went on its 14 days just going the opposite way! Thanks for the advice!!

Sounds like the same one alright, if you've any questions about it, feel free to pm me.

Advertisement