Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money going over

Options
  • 13-05-2012 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering does anyone know about cash going over to the States... what's the done thing, do you bring over full amount in dollars with you, as in, is it better to bring all your money over with you in dollars? And then lodger it when yoiu get over there?

What's best bank to put your money in? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I would top up the credit card. It can take a while to open a bank account ..... You would need an address, social sec number etc. I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying large amounts of cash around while getting set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

avalon68 wrote: »
    I would top up the credit card. It can take a while to open a bank account ..... You would need an address, social sec number etc. I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying large amounts of cash around while getting set up.

Credit card? That's really something I wouldn't like to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

As far as I know, bank of america doesn't charge foreign current accounts to take out money through their ATM's.

Caliden wrote: »
    As far as I know, bank of america doesn't charge foreign current accounts to take out money through their ATM's.

Hi can you elaborate on that please? Don't fully understand thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

They do unless it's a credit card....in credit. Plus your Irish bank will charge. I don't mean you to get in debt with your credit card, rather transfer your money so that it's in credit, then use as needed until you can open account. If
    You don't already have asocial security number it might take a while to get one and open an account

• Advertisement

avalon68 wrote: »
    They do unless it's a credit card....in credit. Plus your Irish bank will charge. I don't mean you to get in debt with your credit card, rather transfer your money so that it's in credit, then use as needed until you can open account. If
    You don't already have asocial security number it might take a while to get one and open an account

O.k thanks, I'll look intot that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

If you can open an account in the US use paypal, top up from your Irish account and withdraw to the us account. Takes about 4 working days total

If your just travelling anything over 10k will get you an interview!

Advertisement