Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

runner beans outside yet?

Options
  • 13-05-2012 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Anyone planted them out yet? Germinated mine in the porch, and they've been there for more than a month now - starting to get a bit too lanky now. Strong cold winds here today, and the week ahead looks bad:mad: This could go on all month though, is it time to evict them and let them take their chances?
    What I wouldn't give for a polytunnel right now:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Hah, I think yesterday's weather has firmly answered my question. A few more weeks I guess:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

How tall are they? If they are small enough you could pop some 2 or 3 litre plastic bottles over the tops to protect them. Or erect some fleece/windbreak around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

unfortunately it was so windy here that the fleece I had down has flown away with the fairies - I've tried bottles before too, with the same result. I guess less time planning veg, and more time planting windbreaks would be a good idea:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

No you've done right, never put off the seed sowing! Trick for the bottles, put a pea stick or bamboo cane through the open top and into the ground and the bottle wont blow away. You can make a quick cage out of bamboo and string in no time at all. Pop small pots or youghart pots over the top of the canes so the fleece has something to rest on without ripping. Roll the ends around some old scrap wood and weigh that down with rocks or bricks, it wont go anywhere.

Advertisement