Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths Question

• 13-05-2012 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else sit this paper (DEB mock)? I can't get question 7 if anyone knows how. I doubt anyone still has mocks to do but it's the one with
    the Rugby World Cup funal with the graph representing the number if people leaving

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Changed the title so people don't think you're begging for mock papers and ignore your post ;)

It might help if you were to type out the question, even if people didn't sit that paper they may be able to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

We had that mock, what part of the question are you stuck on? If I remember correctly you had to draw a graph or something? It wasn't difficult, you just must be missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

We had that mock, what part of the question are you stuck on? If I remember correctly you had to draw a graph or something? It wasn't difficult, you just must be missing something

Cheers for that QueenOfLeon

It was Part (A) really. I think it's on the line?

There's a graph

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

60,000 spectators at the event and the graph represents the spectators leaving
    And N=a-bt

(i) Use the graph to calculate value of a and b

(ii) Explain what each constant represents

(iii) Write the formula N=a-bt in terrms of t

(iv) How long did it take 10, 000 people to leave the stadium

(v) Half of the stadium exits were closed 15 minutes after the end of the match reducing the rate at which people could leave.
    On the graph above, draw another graph of N against t to represent this new circumstance

I'm confused. Never seen anything like it the book or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Also no need to use spoilers, as far as I know everyone has the mocks over and done with! :)

Any Math-heads out there wanna give this a go? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Imagine the line in the form y=mx+c and that might make it easier.

N is the y axis
    t is the x axis

For the first part solve by finding where the line cuts the x and y axes.

Having it in the form y=mx+c should make it easier to answer part 2.

Part 3 is just rearranging AND subbing in, that's where a few of my students fell down.

Sorry, on my phone hence the multiple posts.

The next part, find 10,000 on the y axis since that's number of people and get a corresponding time.

And finally, think about the effect closing the gates has on thr graph, will people get out quicker or slower, how has the rate (and therefore the slope) changed.

Eternally grateful :D I'll give it a go first thing in the morning :)

If you don't mind me asking would you have considered that mock difficult? I got 59% in Paper 2 and I'm hoping for a high B in the Leaving

Advertisement