Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wall at the end of the Prom

Options
  • 13-05-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

(I'm about to rant so please forgive me.)
    A structure that looks like some form of public urinal has been installed at the end of the Prom to collect money for charities. Allegedly, a grateful and generous public will put money into a slot having walked the Prom.

Let me count the ways this offends me:
    1. It's ugly.
    2. It's greedy.
    3. It commodifies and monetises a quirky local custom.
    4. It will date very, very quickly.
    5. It's ugly.

Some local committee managed to convince some local councillor(s)that it'd be a good idea and City Council went ahead and installed it. Just because you have a good cause shouldn't give you the right to collect money anywhere, and through whatever means, you like.

I wish we really could give it and the people who installed it a good kicking.

Aaaaarrggh....f**tards!!
    (Rant over)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Usually reserved for AH, but what the hell.....
    Pics or GTFO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

Usually reserved for AH, but what the hell.....
    Pics or GTFO :D

Here's a small pic of the offending structure.
    promcrop.jpg https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/65285/204696.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Was there on Friday for the first time in a while and we were saying the exact same thing. I certainly wasn't encouraged to donate any money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This is an outrage to the recessed pampered soles of my brogues.
    And yes it is hideous, it looks like it cost a fair bit of money. How long before there is one of these on every street corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

You can give it a good kicking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I said it in jest, but good god, thats an eyesore. Is that the best design they could come up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just because you have a good cause shouldn't give you the right to collect money anywhere, and through whatever means, you like.

So what criteria should be applied to how people collect money?

Church gate collections hugely offend me: churches should be places of spiritual refuge, not ones where people have to face their neighbours disapproving stares if they choose not to donate.

Collection jars in pubs offend me: just because someone has a good cause, they should not be preying on the unfortunate people who are drawn to spend time in pubs because of addictions that they cannot control.

Chuggers offend me: I should be able to walk down the street without being asked to hand over my bank account details to some random in a bright jacket.

Bag-packers in supermarkets offend me: no way do I want some stranger interfering with my purchases (and generally they have no idea how to pack so my bread doesn't get squashed).

But most people will tell me to get over myself. Or at least they might sympathise over the chuggers, but tell me to grow up re the rest.

The collection thing at the end of the prom is one of the least offensive ways of collecting that I know:  no enquiring eyes, jangling bucket or person asking.   As to whether it's ugly ... well the surroundings ain't that flash looking either.

(I'll leave it up to you to guess which of the above really do offend me. Hint ... it ain't all of 'em.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

JustMary wrote: »
    (I'll leave it up to you to guess which of the above really do offend me. Hint ... it ain't all of 'em.)

Now that I would never have guessed :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Collection jars in pubs offend me: just because someone has a good cause, they should not be preying on the unfortunate people who are drawn to spend time in pubs because of addictions that they cannot control.

I'm guessing this one Mary.

Surely you don't think everyone who goes to a pub is an alcoholic, only there because they can't control their addiction. :eek:

Anyone that desperate for a drink wouldn't need the pub anyway. Off licences are cheaper.

As for this thing at the end of the Prom. I haven't seen it yet and won't get the chance to for at least a week.
    Any chance of a pic from someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Some local committee managed to convince some local councillor(s)that it'd be a good idea and City Council went ahead and installed it.

Are you entirely sure that the structure was put there with City Council approval and have you complained about it? An article of that kind would probably have to have planning permission, did you notice any application for planning permission?

For certain articles including barriers, and street furniture I do not believe that the City Council has to apply for permission, however for work done on public land for a third-party I imagine they would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

Lapin wrote: »
    As for this thing at the end of the Prom. I haven't seen it yet and won't get the chance to for at least a week.
    Any chance of a pic from someone?

Umm...here...https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/65285/204696.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭roseagra

It does seem a pity to use such a nice tradition, I'd love to see them run this as the question in the advertiser and see what opinion is. Of course it's hard to fundraise but surely there are other ways to do it. I've seen some really creative ideas that give back to the community, of course you are relying on volunteers but surely if people are willing to give of their free time then it's a win win?

And yes, it's bloody ugly. As Bosco might say original_image.png?1253125761

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

It looks a brick Time-Machine ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I don't care if it's for a good cause, it's ugly and totally out of character.

I would normally say they should know better, but it's the council, nuff said.

As to whether it's ugly ... well the surroundings ain't that flash looking either.

That's a matter of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

A structure that looks like some form of public urinal has been installed at the end of the Prom to collect money for charities. Allegedly, a grateful and generous public will put money into a slot having walked the Prom.

1. It's ugly.
    2. It's greedy.
    5. It's ugly.

Some local committee managed to convince some local councillor(s)that it'd be a good idea and City Council went ahead and installed it. Just because you have a good cause shouldn't give you the right to collect money anywhere, and through whatever means, you like.

Aaaaarrggh....f**tards!!
    (Rant over)

you know you don't HAVE to put money in it. :rolleyes:

what do you think of the water tap there? It's so UGLY and to think...somebody might FEEL LIKE a drink if they want..the cheek of them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

It is very ugly.

Kicking the wall may be a tradition, now we have something we really want to kick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Why do they keep messing with the Prom *sigh*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I heard people will be forced to pay a toll to utilise the prom or alternatively donate to charity :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

From looking at the pic, it says Salthill Rotary Club, so maybe they organised it? I have to agree and be in the same boat as JustMary, feckin hate all these charity things everywhere.
    "Sponsor me" so I can go on a 2 week holiday to X to help deprived children in tropical country X.
    "Sponsor me" so I can do a Bungee Jump in New Zealand. I will raise €5000 for said Charity (they will get €50 and the rest goes on expenses).

Give what you can direct to a charity, say Galway Hospice, and know that the money goes direct to the charity, not paying for ads on TV and the wages for collectors, charity directors, etc, et feckin cetera.
    Rant over..

Its ugly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

The ones that get on my nerves are the in your face ones outside Roches(or whatever it's called now) and outside the GPO in their illuminous yellow jackets...on huge commision therefore the hard sell, should be banned or at least should have to display actually how much goes to charity...very little you'll find.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Nicman

Ok lads - easy now!
    I think what Mollie is trying to get across is the basic fact that a mere Councillor(s) can make a decision so lightly and without consequence, on something so important as a structure AND a local landmark. The issue here is not against charities - all the comments about charities are personal opinion (we all have varied opinions on charities - lets leave it that way).
    The issue is this: WHEN ARE TDS AND COUNCILLORS GOING TO LEAVE OUR CITY - WHETHER YOU BELIEVE IT TO BE BEAUTIFUL OR NOT - ALONE! I've said it before, concillors sitting at a board meeting, discussing topics such as this on their agenda, and giving it a "yeay" or "neay" at the end of the night, really (for the most part) don't care about the fact that 'Mary Murphy' from Salthill has been kicking that wall for the last 70 years with her husband, as did her parents before her and so on.
    Monuments for charities are great - when tactfully done & in an appropriate place. I don't believe appropriate OR tactful places for such charitable monuments (whether ugly or not) belong in front of, or obstructing, local landmarks and places of long standing tradition. Is that not what we are debating here? For God's sake we all support charities of our own preference - nobody should be making accusations here of lack of support for charities!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

(

Too late.

I liked the idea of it before it was installed. It is not in keeping with the ambience of the Prom not that I have a better suggestion.

As JustMary suggests, it is a non personal way of raising charity money.

That said, I am sitting on the fence on this one.

Can we call it the Ugly Chugger?

snubbleste wrote: »
    I heard people will be forced to pay a toll to utilise the prom.........:cool:

I wouldn't have a problem with that if the proceeds went towards cleaning up the dog shít on the prom. Although I'd prefer to see that cost being met by dog owners who allow Fido and Rex to make a mess.

As for that thing at the prom wall. Regardless of what it is for, whoever chose the stonework its set in should have his eyes tested. Its completely at odds with its surroundings and I reckon the money it collects for charity won't cover the cost of cleaning the inevitable graffitti off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nicman wrote: »
    The issue is this: WHEN ARE TDS AND COUNCILLORS GOING TO LEAVE OUR CITY - WHETHER YOU BELIEVE IT TO BE BEAUTIFUL OR NOT - ALONE! I've said it before, concillors sitting at a board meeting, discussing topics such as this on their agenda, and giving it a "yeay" or "neay" at the end of the night, really (for the most part) don't care about the fact that 'Mary Murphy' from Salthill has been kicking that wall for the last 70 years with her husband, as did her parents before her and so on.

Ahh ... when we stop electing them to run the city? :rolleyes:

I'm really looking forward to your decisions about how city governance should work.

And the explanation of how exactly this charity-what's-it is stopping Mary Murphy from kicking the wall the way she always has.

I know ye Irish aren't big on change, and that this is a rant thread ... but sheesh!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭_petulia_

1. It's ugly.
    2. It's greedy.
    5. It's ugly.

Aaaaarrggh....f**tards!!
    (Rant over)

I thought you said it is for charity :confused:

It is my opinion that, with times being as tough as they are, if charities can gain by having this donation box at the end of the prom I'm willing to forsake the sacred wall - I'm willing to overlook aesthetics for the bigger picture.

Besides it allows people to feel twice as good - they get exercise and they get to help out worthy causes.

Win-win.

Get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

204696.jpg

I must agree with the OP... Its an ugly stone carbunkle.

Normally the restoration of the walls on old structures demands a sympathetic regard for the work of past centuries, and at least an effort to match the stonework. No such effort was made here !

They seem to have picked one of every colour stone available and cobbled together something that resembles a cheepO 1960s fireplace.

Get rid of it !

Nina_G wrote: »

Get over it!

Eh NO!

If everyone accepts this then before you know it they will have 40-50 of the yokes placed all over the city, then that will extend to every town and village in Ireland, everywhere there is a possibility of milking a few quid from the people you will see one.

Bit like the housing boom, one badly planned housing estate turned into a more than a few thousand.

Start learning to say 'No'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CrimsonTrout

No offense guys, but you do know what you got on your main square, right...?

• Advertisement

No offense guys, but you do know what you got on your main square, right...?

Whats this, a game of I spy ?

The square is full of all sorts of stuff.

Advertisement