Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wall at the end of the Prom

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭_petulia_

FlashD wrote: »
    Eh NO!

If everyone accepts this then before you know it they will have 40-50 of the yokes placed all over the city, then that will extend to every town and village in Ireland, everywhere there is a possibility of milking a few quid from the people you will see one.

Bit like the housing boom, one badly planned housing estate turned into a more than a few thousand.

Start learning to say 'No'.

You sound like a drama queen.

Milking a few quid? That's an expression I associate with my corner shop when they charge over the odds for cereal or some such - not with a donation box. How cynical.

I know that Ireland is going through a tough time at the moment but we still need to be able to see sense and not assume that everything is trying to squeeze a few quid out of us ... That supposed eyesore is collecting money for a variety of good causes! What's it's crime? - that it doesn't look nice - well I'm sorry for anyone who is offended by such an inoffensive gesture but times are tough. Get a grip!

We still need to remember others less well off or in need of assistance. I'm sure your walk won't be too inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'd be curious to see how much money is donated there.

And how much it cost to design, propose, discuss, approve, build and install the structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I think its a good idea. Especially as the charity will change regularly.
    It does look awful though. A bit more thought could have been put into the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

c_man wrote: »
    Why do they keep messing with the Prom *sigh*

ha, I'm thinking that locals back 100 years ago also bemoaned the fact that their Salthill was being messed with to build the prom and again in the 50s when the new section to Grattan Rd. was built.. I'm more interested in the lack to consultation about this (didn't see any notices up on the prom, did ye?), or does the Rotary Club have a 'thou shalt...' inside line to the council?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Fair enough point. Though I think we could all agree that the locals moaning which stopped the yellow brick road a few years ago was worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

It's not as bad as the notice on the barrier right next to it last week. I refused to pay the €2, and no I haven't seen my teddies alive since. :(

30vnl28.jpg

I think its a good idea. Especially as the charity will change regularly.
    It does look awful though. A bit more thought could have been put into the design.

Agreed with this. I think it's a great idea but the execution is poor. I don't agree with having it covering where people traditionally kick the wall either - it should have been placed to one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

JustMary wrote: »
    I know ye Irish aren't big on change, and that this is a rant thread ... but sheesh!!!!!

come come Mary, the ole generalisations are certainly handy but are ultimately lazy and insidious, just like us Oirish are all feckless, corrupt, design-challenged pissheads. :eek:

but have to agree that it has taken something from that area as it now looks like its been branded by the red hot iron of the Rotary Club who had no right to do that, even if for good causes

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Advertisement