If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non smart tv €800 ish

Options
  • 13-05-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi,

With a budget of around €800, what would you recommend for a 42 inch plus?

Have no interest in smart features or 3D (have media server and find 3D a gimmick). If it has them, fine. But I'd must rather go for an end of line model with better core performance than a model that makes compromises to include gimmicks.

Priority is picture quality for blu rays, good standard def performance and performance with motion (ie. sport). Have a five year old Samsung LCD and it's poor with sport.

So am tempted to go the plasma direction.

Any recommendations?

Cheers
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fozz

Panasonic Plasma...it's a no-brainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

fozz wrote: »
    Panasonic Plasma...it's a no-brainer!

Any recommendations on a model?

Hmm..is actually hard to find a non-3d one these days as you said.
    I guess this one would be a decent choice within budget with none of those nasty gimmicks:
    http://www.directtvs.co.uk/Panasonic_TX-P42G30B_42_Inch_Freeview_HD_Plasma_TV_TX-P42G30B/version.asp

V god review here....:
    http://www.avforums.com/review/Panasonic-G30-TX-P42G30-50G30-42G30-46G30-Plasma-TV-Review.html
    I'd say you wold be v. pleased with that.

I am not sure how interested you would be but I have a 46''G15 that I am now moving on to replace with a 50'' VT50.
    I was just going to pass mine onto a family member but would be willing to sell it for a decent price. It is a quality TV which has given me not an iota of trouble and some may say I am upgrading for no good reason but I'm into this stuff so will justify it to myself!
    Sure PM if interested....I am not actively selling my TV so have not considered a price or anything but if someone on here was interested then I'd be willing to cut a v good deal.
    Here is the review of my model:
    http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-TX-P46G15-Plasma-HDTV-Review_70/Review.html
    BTW, I am in Dublin for the purposes of any sale.
    All the best.

PS, just read yer first post again re the Sammy and sport...yea, totally agree and that's the main reason I got the Panny plasma...HD football is sublime.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey Quad_Red.

As Fozz says the Panasonic are the Dogs ;)

Entry level Pana is the 42X50 priced at £349.95 / 449.99 Euro (IN STORE ONLY COLLECTION) - We can not ship this screen.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txp42x50b/pana-txp42x50b

You could however have a look at the NEW Lg 42PA4500 priced at £399.95 / 514.99 Euro
    http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-42PA4500-plasma-tv

If you jumper to a 50" you could look at the:

Panasonic TXP50X50 priced at £529.95 / 679.99 Euro (IN STORE ONLY COLLECTION) - We can not ship this screen.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txp50x50b/pana-txp50x50b

LG 50PZ550T priced at £549.95 / 709.99 Euro
    http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-50PZ550T-plasma-tv

Let me know what you think

Thanks guys.

Kenny, am I correct in saying that the Panny X50's take 1050p but don't output true full HD?

• Advertisement

Hi quad_red.

Yes that would be right. It would take the 1080P signal and out put it at either 720p or 1080i.

Panasonic X50 range are only HD ready and not full HD as you mention.

Yer selling yerself short with an X if you intend to feed in real proper HD sources.
    Sure, for the average Joe who buys a HD screen and feeds it UPC/SKY SD source they wont notice any diff but if you are more discerning then the X is not for you.

Personally I'd say go for a G but as you say, getting one without the gimmicks will be hard these days so I stick by my initial choice of the G30.

@ Fozz

Have you noticed the 50hz bug when watching football?

Seems even the new GT30 models suffer it

http://www.avforums.com/review/Panasonic-GT30-TX-P50GT30B-42GT30-46GT30-50-Inch-3D-Plasma-TV-Review.html

That's a great question as I am in the market for a VT and that apparently has this feature...
    Well, it is my understanding that the so called '50 Hz bug' only affects the 3D NeoPDP panels...as mine isn't 3D I don't believe I have it.
    I stand willing to be corrected on that but this is something I have read about a lot and does concern me going forward yet I can say that football on my screen looks great..and HD football is stunning...and I mean the motion....smooth as silk.

I will be honest and say I have not seen anything newer than a G20 in the flesh and sports on the G10, G15 & G20 is fantastic.
    So I have no 1st hand experienced the bug and from the reviews of the VT50 it seems to be something that v few people would actually noticed unless explicitly pointed out to them.

My own 46G15 shows HD football excellently.
    For me the TV has to show HD football and HD movies great and everything else is secondary and for the 2 years I've had the G15 I have never been disappointed (why upgrade then...I just want to!....makes no sense to the wife but I am convincing myself!)

I recently saw the Masters on a Samsung LED screen..one of those stunning skinny models. Well, the TV itself is to die for but I was wholeheartedly unimpressed with the Picture Quality (it jerked and the golf club left shadows when swung fast while fast panning was terrible..I couldn't believe it but the others in the room didn't notice...in fairness I was looking for i as I really wanted to compare these new skinny screens to my Plasma) and to refer back to your initial post, PQ is all that is important so for me the Panny Plasma is king here...BUT, I can only vouch for the 'older' G models as that is what I and my friends have and not this newer G30.
    To be honest, would the G30 be weaker than the G15?....I would be very surprised but I suggest you read as many reviews as you can get and go from there.

fozz wrote: »
    That's a great question as I am in the market for a VT and that apparently has this feature...
    Well, it is my understanding that the so called '50 Hz bug' only affects the 3D NeoPDP panels...as mine isn't 3D I don't believe I have it.
    I stand willing to be corrected on that but this is something I have read about a lot and does concern me going forward yet I can say that football on my screen looks great..and HD football is stunning...and I mean the motion....smooth as silk.

I will be honest and say I have not seen anything newer than a G20 in the flesh and sports on the G10, G15 & G20 is fantastic.
    So I have no 1st hand experienced the bug and from the reviews of the VT50 it seems to be something that v few people would actually noticed unless explicitly pointed out to them.

My own 46G15 shows HD football excellently.
    For me the TV has to show HD football and HD movies great and everything else is secondary and for the 2 years I've had the G15 I have never been disappointed (why upgrade then...I just want to!....makes no sense to the wife but I am convincing myself!)

I recently saw the Masters on a Samsung LED screen..one of those stunning skinny models. Well, the TV itself is to die for but I was wholeheartedly unimpressed with the Picture Quality (it jerked and the golf club left shadows when swung fast while fast panning was terrible..I couldn't believe it but the others in the room didn't notice...in fairness I was looking for i as I really wanted to compare these new skinny screens to my Plasma) and to refer back to your initial post, PQ is all that is important so for me the Panny Plasma is king here...BUT, I can only vouch for the 'older' G models as that is what I and my friends have and not this newer G30.
    To be honest, would the G30 be weaker than the G15?....I would be very surprised but I suggest you read as many reviews as you can get and go from there.

Mmmm. I would be worried going near Panny's after reading that. I've got a few HD sources but all UPC material and normal dvds are 50hz.

Just saw the green blob stuff online as well - wow

• Advertisement

Yea, I have heard and read about these issues with the 3D NeoPDP screens.
    They don't affect mine as it is not 3D and I think the issues started in the 2010 line whereas my G15 is 2009.

You are right to look into this stuff but be aware that online forums can be misleading and hugely over amplify such issues that would not affect or even be noticeable to the vast majority of people.

Like, the 50Hz thing is referenced in the VT50 reviews but I have read a lot on it and by all accounts in really a non-issue that has been over hyped by a few perfectionists.
    It doesn't stop the VT50 getting glowing reviews everywhere and it being referred to as a 'reference' screen...akin to the famed Pioneer Kuro of a few years back. Sure, the Kuro was a professional screen and not a commercial TV as such so comparisons are a little unjust but the VT50 is getting such rave reviews that I wont let some talk of a 50Hz bug put me off.

Getting back to your G30, try going on the avforums UK and reading the owners thread t get the real lowdown.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1440197-panasonic-g30-owners-thread.html

quad_red wrote: »

Hi Quad,

Unfortunately the GT30 is now finished, sold our last display set there a while back. :( Shame as it was a great set.

We can offer the 42 ST50 for £899.95. :)

We're also offering the Panasonic DMPBDT220 blu-ray for just £89.95 when purchased with this screen.

Let me know what you think.

Chris

Hi Quad,

Unfortunately the GT30 is now finished, sold our last display set there a while back. :( Shame as it was a great set.

We can offer the 42 ST50 for £899.95. :)

We're also offering the Panasonic DMPBDT220 blu-ray for just £89.95 when purchased with this screen.

Let me know what you think.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. That's pushing beyond what I wanted to spend. What would delivery to dublin be? Am gonna see it in the flesh on Saturday but would appreciate your opinion - do you see a big difference between the ST50 and the X50?

I've got a PS3 so the blu ray offer isn't relevant. Do ye have any other offers?

Thanks
    Quad

Hi Quad,

Thanks for getting back to me.

At the moment this screen is a in-store only purchase so would need to be collected here in Belfast.

I haven't seen the ST50 up and running yet. But judging by last years ST30 it'll be quality.

The X50 is a great screen for the money. Not a touch on the ST but still not bad at all.

At the moment the only offer with the ST is the bluray player.

Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.