Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inherited shares,

• 13-05-2012 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

unsure if this is the right forum,

but ive just discovered that ive inherited 17,000 ordinary shares in Kerry Group, and this years dividend of a little under 4,000euro before tax.

When I check the Kerry Group share price it seems to be over 30euro?

This is hardly per share though is it?

What is the sale value of these shares?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Definitely the wrong forum, I'll guess the dividend was 4,000 for the 17,000 shares, so about €0.24 per share, the total value of the shares is 17,000 multiplied by the share price so €510,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

€33.70 a share if you are a seller. You will or may have to pay CAT - the liability and the amount varies with the relationship between the parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 junk_seller

youyesyou wrote: »
    unsure if this is the right forum,

but ive just discovered that ive inherited 17,000 ordinary shares in Kerry Group, and this years dividend of a little under 4,000euro before tax.

When I check the Kerry Group share price it seems to be over 30euro?

This is hardly per share though is it?

What is the sale value of these shares?

Thanks in advance.

kerry shares have had a fantasitc twelve months and the future is very bright for this company as the dairy industry in ireland is very strong and has tremendous growth prospects , seeing as this assett cost you nothing , i would keep them if i was you

as for the price of the shares , kerry shares are 33 euro each at the moment , i was not aware that they pay any dividend though , your shares have a value of over half a million euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, if you're 'just discovered' that you've inherited the shares then I guess you proably haven't had them transferred to you yet.

You will be liable for Capital Acquisitions Tax on the inheritence, the value of the inheritence for tax purposes will be the value of the shares on the days the deceased died.

The exemption level (below which you pay no tax) will depend on your relationship to the deceased - they are documented here...

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/thresholds.html

The person or solicitor doing the probate will have to file a revenue return so the tax will have to be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 junk_seller

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, if you're 'just discovered' that you've inherited the shares then I guess you proably haven't had them transferred to you yet.

You will be liable for Capital Acquisitions Tax on the inheritence, the value of the inheritence for tax purposes will be the value of the shares on the days the deceased died.

The exemption level (below which you pay no tax) will depend on your relationship to the deceased - they are documented here...

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/thresholds.html

The person or solicitor doing the probate will have to file a revenue return so the tax will have to be paid.

if the gift is from a parent and is the first of its kind , a certain amount is tax free , its close to half a million i think

• Advertisement

I linked that yesterday. No CAT liability for a spouse though, right? Which is a possibility here also given the unknown relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

BornToKill wrote: »
    I linked that yesterday. No CAT liability for a spouse though, right? Which is a possibility here also given the unknown relationship.

Yep true, spouse or Civil Partner are exempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I linked that yesterday. No CAT liability for a spouse though, right?

Correct.
    Which is a possibility here also given the unknown relationship.

I would have said highly improbable given the way the OP phrased it - I've just discovered I've inherited ......

Oh I agree. Improbable but not at all impossible.

In a former line of work I used frequently see married people with money their spouse knew nothing about. I think they liked the idea that it was uniquely their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

OP needs smelling salts...nice relative.

• Advertisement
Advertisement