Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the encroaching internet

Options
  • 13-05-2012 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭

Firstly apologies if I have landed in the wrong forum.I can't seem to find one that suits particularly so any advice along those lines would be welcome.

But my question is this.It often comes up in the news media that the presence of the internet is changing the way that we think , memorise and interreact among ourselves.

I started thinking (well maybe agreeing) that the ability to store and retrieve information used to be a valued ability and now that is changing because of the ease and speed of access to raw (and processed) information from the internet in almost any situation (I wonder if Woody Allen could have incorporated a smartphone into one of his lovemaking scenes :o).

So it is beginning to follow that the man of knowledge (apart from those with hard- to- access knowledge) is becoming less prized or useful than the man or woman who has the skills to obtain information from 3rd parties (I do remember my physics teacher emphasising this point to us all in the 60's -but then his "internet" was encycopedias and reference books etc etc)

However I see the process is not finished evolving and I wonder are we going to witness the evolution of a "higher man" who neither has any direct knowledge on the subject he or she is holding forth on or even any use of the internet at all.

Could these Übermenschen feed on the information of their circle of acquaintances (who he is 100% confident are themselves plugged into the information superhighway) - a kind of software king amongst the hardware informational drones of the general population.

I know this sounds like a kind of chick-lit sci fi but could it be upon us?

If you want to banish me to another forum I don't mind.Any ideas where?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

amandstu wrote: »
    Firstly apologies if I have landed in the wrong forum.I can't seem to find one that suits particularly so any advice along those lines would be welcome.

But my question is this.It often comes up in the news media that the presence of the internet is changing the way that we think , memorise and interreact among ourselves.

I started thinking (well maybe agreeing) that the ability to store and retrieve information used to be a valued ability and now that is changing because of the ease and speed of access to raw (and processed) information from the internet in almost any situation (I wonder if Woody Allen could have incorporated a smartphone into one of his lovemaking scenes :o).

So it is beginning to follow that the man of knowledge (apart from those with hard- to- access knowledge) is becoming less prized or useful than the man or woman who has the skills to obtain information from 3rd parties (I do remember my physics teacher emphasising this point to us all in the 60's -but then his "internet" was encycopedias and reference books etc etc)
    I was with you up to this part.

However I see the process is not finished evolving and I wonder are we going to witness the evolution of a "higher man" who neither has any direct knowledge on the subject he or she is holding forth on or even any use of the internet at all.

Could these Übermenschen feed on the information of their circle of acquaintances (who he is 100% confident are themselves plugged into the information superhighway) - a kind of software king amongst the hardware informational drones of the general population.

I know this sounds like a kind of chick-lit sci fi but could it be upon us?

If you want to banish me to another forum I don't mind.Any ideas where?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I was think about something along the same lines, when growing up I always was dying to head out to hang around local greens and parks with a group of my friends. Now when I come home I see my little brother playing xbox online with 10-12 of his mates over the internet. I suppose you got commuinication and interaction while having the banter with his mates.
    It has all the essentials really, but he will be missing out on body language and a few other things that are the result of actual physical commuinication
    I think this is going to have effects of his social skills to an extent. I would believe negatively but that is subjective really.
    Any thoughts anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭amandstu

slowburner wrote: »
    I was with you up to this part.
    you mean you then disagree or that I meandered off into incomprehensibilty?
    Well I suppose my paranoia may have got the better of me but could there come into being a higher caste that didn't use the internet at all but were surrounded (queen bee like) by a retinue of information feeders(themselves plugged into the internet) to service their mighty intellects ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

But why should they? What's in it for the drones? Why should they feed the queen bee - arguably they could get paid, but the QB could just as easily use the internet him (her?) self. How does the QB know that the drones have filtered out the rubbish?

Its a bit hasty to assume all knowledge is on the internet. Quite a lot is, but a lot of unfounded opinions and made-up stuff is also there. Even if you look up the definition of a word you have to have some knowledge of etymology to figure out which is the useful/accurate definition.

One obvious pitfall is assuming that just because a piece of information is repeated several times, then it must be right. A huge amount of information is just thieved from other sites with no test to see if it is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭amandstu

looksee wrote: »
    But why should they? What's in it for the drones? Why should they feed the queen bee - arguably they could get paid

cult figures ,tycoons etc would have no trouble getting recruits but why not pay them?

, but the QB could just as easily use the internet him (her?) self.
    well this would presumably be more efficient

How does the QB know that the drones have filtered out the rubbish?

they must to do their job/prove their worth- of course he has to show judgement -that is his job

Its a bit hasty to assume all knowledge is on the internet. Quite a lot is, but a lot of unfounded opinions and made-up stuff is also there. Even if you look up the definition of a word you have to have some knowledge of etymology to figure out which is the useful/accurate definition.

the drones have to cross reference between themselves and of course the best drone has best access to the QB

One obvious pitfall is assuming that just because a piece of information is repeated several times, then it must be right. A huge amount of information is just thieved from other sites with no test to see if it is accurate.

One of the QBs would of course be in charge of the nuclear button so if this wasn't an efficient method I doubt it would catch on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement