Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: How to I become eligible?

Options
  • 13-05-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm 30 and need to get a Work Visa for Canada. Anyone know am I restricted because I have not been in Ireland for the past 3 years?

I have been working/volunteering in Africa the past 18 Months and before then only worked in Ireland for 1 year (before that was away travelling)

Anyone know of people who have been able to get the visa without being here for the required 3 years....

Thanks

C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I think the 18 month rule applies to working holiday visas. Do you have a job lined up there? If you do, can the employer sort a visa for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

No job lined up. I'm actually going over to be with a nice lady I met travelling hence need the visa rather than a Holiday one.

But yes I need the Work Holday Visa...any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Not really sure what you can do. The months you spend in Ireland in the last 3 years do not have to be consecutive as far as you now. You said you were back here for one year working so that gives you 12. If you come home for 6 months you should be eligible again. Sorry, I know it's probably not what you want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Thanks for the reply John, Actually helps - I was thinking you need to be here for the 3 years.

Ive been back on and off and worked here from oct 2009 to oct 2010 so yeah that gives me 12 months.

Hopefully theyre not too strict when assessing.

Anyone know if it makes any difference if I go first on a Holiday visa while waiting for the work visa application to process?

Basically I want to get over there within the next month, application takes 8 weeks and I wont finish applying for it for another week at least???

Cheers

D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

Cullen,

Good luck with your application but I honestly dont think you have a huge chance or getting one from this years pool.

There are 461 left as of the 3rd of this month and when those figures were being updated they were going at a rate of about 50 a day (for whatever reason they've stopped updating it)

My advice is apply ASAP and hope for the best but I wouldnt count on getting one this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement