Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good plan for International texting?

Options
  • 13-05-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi all,

My mother is spending a fortune texting my brother who lives in California. I use Twitter to message him myself, but she is on a pay as you go Vodafone phone and I think text messages cost her 22c or 25c. It adds up very quickly.

Is there any network provider that has a good rate for international texts? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭digit1

Hi

Why not send them from a lap top or pc instead. On Vodafone and o2 anyways you get 250 or 500 in some cases free txt per month. She can send from computer and receive to her phone all for free once she tops up with €20 per month and with Vodafone if she tops up with €30 she can get 180free international minutes free per month also.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Tesco Mobile charge 14c / text to the US (and currently 2c/min to call the US). Still would add up after a while but at least not as quickly.

For 30 euro, that would give 1500 minutes to the US :)

Correction. For to get the free on line txt, you don't have to top up with €20. All you have to do is keep the on line account alive so to speak. If you top up now and then is also okay. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Posada wrote: »
    Hi all,

My mother is spending a fortune texting my brother who lives in California. I use Twitter to message him myself, but she is on a pay as you go Vodafone phone and I think text messages cost her 22c or 25c. It adds up very quickly.

Is there any network provider that has a good rate for international texts? Thanks!

Tell your mother to download the JaxtrSMS app, this app gives free text messages to all USA mobile numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

There is also an app called vonage It gives you free calls and texts to USA. You can also use it for calling international. Can be topped up via play store or app store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

thanks everyone for these solutions. Great ideas. She's is in her 70's though, so not very net-savy, I don't think she could handle a smart phone. She likes her old nokia, y'know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

€35.50/month on Vodafone billpay would get
    100 international voice minutes
    350 international texts
    Free vodafone calls and texts in ROI

30-day SIM only plan

You could jig the above around if you needed more/less minutes or texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭magnavox

Id agree with digit1 above, with her current Vodafone number she has 600 free international texts a month. If you can get the Cabbage app onto her Nokia and set it up to use the isp gateway she be laughing as it'll cost like a cent for 5 texts maybe.

magnavox wrote: »
    Id agree with digit1 above, with her current Vodafone number she has 600 free international texts a month. If you can get the Cabbage app onto her Nokia and set it up to use the isp gateway she be laughing as it'll cost like a cent for 5 texts maybe.

I was using cabbage myself until recently but find its not as good as it used be. Loads of problems. Just use the o2 on line now and its fine.

Advertisement