Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junior Cert English

• 13-05-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a query about Junior Certificate English at Foundation Level. Does anyone know to what extent spelling and grammar mistakes are penalised in this exam? I was under the impression that, at this level, spelling and grammar mistakes are not heavily penalised. Am I right in thinking this? I also seem to remember reading in the SEC's reasonable accommodation literature that a spelling and grammar waiver is not necessary at Junior Cert Foundation Level English. Maybe someone who teaches this level or has corrected for the SEC at this level would have the answer.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It is only at HL that spelling is specifically referred to in the marking schemes and even at that, mechanics are only worth 5/70 in the Personal Writing section. So, I'd imagine at FL, it's the same. As long as the spelling doesn't interfere with the candidate's expression, it's not worth a lot.

Mind you, I tend to 'forget' to tell most of my students about how little it matters....

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Paulbeth

Thanks for that. At foundation level, it can be disheartening for students to be worrying too much about their spelling and grammar. An application could be made for reasonable accommodation (as in getting a waiver) but I've generally felt that at foundation level the waiver is automatic. When I'm correcting homework at this level, I never really penalise spelling and grammar mistakes, although I do correct them.

Also, out of interest, if you are correcting, say, the Reading section at foundation level and an answer is correct but there are spelling/grammar mistakes, do you give full marks or take a mark off? I usually give full marks, once I can read the answer and it is correct. Am I being too generous. Would an examiner for the SEC give full marks?

Advertisement