Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An A from MA Dissertation? (and advice welcome)

Options
  • 13-05-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Political Science student here, doing an MA. I'm just wondering how difficult people think it is to get an A in a dissertation for a masters. A lecturer told me recently to get a B+/A- even it would have to be ''pretty exceptional''. I've gotten one or 2 A's for long essay papers before, but obviously the thesis is a different animal with different standards. So what do people here think, you know anyone who has gotten an A in their thesis, is it achievable, any advice?:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

Same boat here. ''Pretty exceptional''? *gulp*:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

VALIS wrote: »
    Same boat here. ''Pretty exceptional''? *gulp*:eek:

Yeah, but perhaps this was just to rid me of any complacency or feeling of entitlement to a good grade before we even begin:P But the fact so many people seem to scrape through their masters is worrying, makes me think getting an A would be an exception :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I got a 1st in my dissertation in International Relations. My dissertation topic was very specific and was pretty much untouched, academically speaking. Coming up with a topic was the hardest part though. My supervisor said to me that I was good at applying theory to real world events and coming to my own conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I took an A+ in mine in UCD last year. Getting an A-/B+ is completely doable if you work hard at it and the more specific your proposed research, the easier it will probably be (that being said, getting to a specific topic can be difficult).

Advertisement