Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring new electric sockets

Options
  • 13-05-2012 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hiya.
    Wouldn't mind adding a new socket or 2 into the motorhome. I'm reasonably handy with electrics, any new sockets/lighting in my house I've done myself. Is it an easy enough job in the MH? Currently in one place I have a cigarette socket for 12v and will work when not hooked up, and a regular 220v socket that will only work when hooked up - so I'd like to replicate these two in another location.
    I've attached a picture of my setup.
    The top box doesn't have any label, but does say 220v on it, so I guess I flip down the 2 switches to isolate the power, take the cover off and connect the wire for the 220v regular socket
    The bottom left says '12v distribution system' - so I guess I take the cover off and connect my new wire to a free point. If there are no free points, is it ok to share a point? There's no obvious way to cut the power - will flicking the switches on the box above cut power to this box?
    The bottom right says its the battery charging unit, so I guess I leave that alone.
    Any tips greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

No offence, but if you need to ask these sort of questions, then I wouldn't recommend tackling this yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

I would have assumed it was a case of cut the power, make your connections at both ends, turn it on again? No? Is it more complex than a household system?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

Hi Kelbal

The top two switches are RCDs (Residual Current Devices) - effectively fuses except they don't blow if there is a short but simply switch the current off, same switchgear that is in most houses.

You can add more RCDs to that board as there are some grey panels in the photo that can be knocked out, so you have space. You could connect your extra 220V socket to one of the existing RCDs but I wouldn't add anymore than one more. In most houses a ring/circuit of sockets or lights can be added to one RCD so just check the rating on the current RCDs.

To connect the 12V socket i'd simply disconnect the battery and then make the necessary connections for your extra socket?

Also make sure your not hooked up when making these changes otherwise we'd have a fried Kelbal ;-)

I understand Buford T Justice point above but its not the most difficult electrical wiring in the world and you never learn unless you try, with a bit of guidance? But if you have any doubts then leave it alone.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I understand Buford T Justice point above but its not the most difficult electrical wiring in the world and you never learn unless you try, with a bit of guidance? But if you have any doubts then leave it alone.

Hope that helps.

Fair point, but have you ever seen a fire take hold in a vehicle, and how quickly it engulfs it? Electrical faults are quite common. Correct cable rating must be used among other things.

Also, electricity isn't something that you can just try your hand at and see how you go either. It can be very dangerous.

Fair point, but have you ever seen a fire take hold in a vehicle, and how quickly it engulfs it? Electrical faults are quite common. Correct cable rating must be used among other things.

Also, electricity isn't something that you can just try your hand at and see how you go either. It can be very dangerous.

I know that's why I said if not sure then leave it alone and ask a professional.

I'm not an electrician but my dad and two brothers work in the area and I've grown up around wiring my whole life, think I was clutching a phase tester when I was a few days old. I've also got a Degree in Electronics so that helps.

But you are right of course and electrics are not something to be taken lightly escpecially when fires etc are concerned.

And I have seen wiring from some qualified electricians that would be lets say questionable?

Hope I've been of some help and I hope no one gets electrocuted ;-) That wasn't my aim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Before doing any electric work make sure you disconnect all battries and mains power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

If you're in doubt about cable rating just extend the existing socket with a fused spur.

I don't know how hereandthere got a degree in electronics without knowing the difference between an mcb and an rcd ... oh wait 70% of the people in my final year didn't either :D

Paddy P I actually never covered MCBs or RCDs in my course, more likely covered in detail in Electrical Engineering courses. Whats with the HereAndThere bashing I was just trying to help out and OK I mixed up RCD and MCB I always have done :o - The world has too many acronyms anyway (If i'd have just used the term breaker I wouldn't be embarrassed now ;) ).

Ok so MCB will detect a short and switch off, protecting the circuit.

While an RCD will detect current imbalance switch off quicker and protect you.

So if someone tries to flip the MCB back on even though there has been a break in the circuit (that you may be touching) the RCD will trip out protecting you.

Found this and it explains better.

http://practicalmotorhome.com/advice/mains-hook-troubleshooting

Honest, I did pass my Degree course although have worked in software for the past seven years so am a bit rusty :D

I promise to proof read all posts from now on :)

Advertisement