Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Shatter Dishing Out Citizenship Like Confetti

• 13-05-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

Metro Éireann has learned that the Passport Office doubts that some of the documents supplied with the applications, such as birth and marriage certificates, are genuine – despite being accepted by the Department of Justice in granting them citizenship.

A spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade told Metro Éireann that the Passport Office “is obligated under the Passport Act to satisfy itself as to the authenticity of documentation provided to establish the identity of applicants.

“Authenticating documents can be complicated in the case of a number of countries due to different factors, including variations in document quality, variations in document standardisation; and, the lack of a range of security features in documents.

“In order for the Passport Office to satisfy itself as to the authenticity of documents it can be necessary to carry out additional checks,” the spokesperson added.

http://metroeireann.com/article/naturalised-nigerians-up-in-arms,3322

Wtf is this Shatter character up to? Giving citizenship to thousands of people, whom the Passport Office believe are not whom the say they are?

Since talking office he has, in no particular order;

- Lashed out circa 30,000 passports.

- Stated that he plans to give early release to thousands of prisoners.

- Came up with a hair brained scheme to allow anyone, settle with their families in Ireland, if they invest a measly 75 large.

- Free access to Ireland for anyone who visits the UK "for the Olympics".

:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Did you read the article....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Nodin wrote: »

I did, did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Of course he didn't just more of the same, what would you expect from the OP concerned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

OP reading fail.
    Thousands of Nigerians recently granted citizenship in Ireland have had their applications for Irish passports returned.

IrishAm wrote: »
    I did, ......

You're sure now? Didn't just see "Nigerians" there, have a flashing mental image of large black fellows and panic?

• Advertisement

lividduck wrote: »
    Of course he didn't just more of the same, what would you expect from the OP concerned!

Ive read it after I had a discussion about it with somebody who closely works with, in a professional capacity, the ORAC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Alan Shatter Dishing Out Citizenship Like Confetti

*Stamps on glass*

"Mazel Tov!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Ive read it after I had a discussion about it with somebody who closely works with, in a professional capacity, the ORAC.

A very selective conversation...:pac:

Reading alas does not equate to comprehending!

An anecdote concerning somebody 'WHO KNOWS' this early in a 'de immigrants' thread?.....you're goin at break-neck pace here.

• Advertisement

OP reading fail.
    Metro Éireann has learned that the Passport Office doubts that some of the documents supplied with the applications, such as birth and marriage certificates, are genuine – despite being accepted by the Department of Justice in granting them citizenship.

The PO doubts documents the DoJ accepted are genuine.

Why the hell were they granted citizenship if there were doubts about their documentation?

Why the hell were they granted citizenship if there were doubts about their documentation?

Or the Passport office is requiring a second level of verification for nigerians specifically. Hence having to go to the Embassy to get them stamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Did you not read the part at the beginning of the article about the Passport Office returning their applications (which, oddly, you didn't quote)?

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned that: I'd have thought you would've been happy about that.

Did you not read the part at the beginning of the article about the Passport Office returning their applications (which, oddly, you didn't quote)?

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned that: I'd have thought you would've been happy about that.

They have already been issued citizenship. They are Irish citizens. Should it not have been the DoJ asking them to verify their documentation before issuing citizenship and not the PO?

It seems the DoJ are undermining the integrity of Irish citizenship and not conducting the proper background checks.

If you cant prove who you say you are, you shouldnt be allowed stay in the Irish state, never mind become a fucking citizen of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

He could do with a hair cut aswell

They have already been issued citizenship. They are Irish citizens. Should it not have been the DoJ asking them to verify their documentation before issuing citizenship and not the PO?

It seems the DoJ are undermining the integrity of Irish citizenship and not conducting the proper background checks.

...or that, as I pointed out, there's not harmony between two government departments on the level of verification required. Given that the procedure is not to get new documents but have them stamped by the Nigerian embassy, that seems to be the case here.

...or that, as I pointed out, there's not harmony between two government departments on the level of verification required. Given that the procedure is not to get new documents but have them stamped by the Nigerian embassy, that seems to be the case here.

It does not seem to be the case at all. It seems to be the case the DoJ has issued citizenship to thousands of people whom are not whom they say they are.

Do you honestly not see a problem with this?

Hand on heart, forget your ideology for a minute, do you honestly think all is above board and its just a breakdown in communication between two departments?

lividduck wrote: »

What the hell does that mean?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Coal1978

I think he was great in Star Trek, better he's got a proper job now and not still doing those stupid All Bran ads.

It does not seem to be the case at all. It seems to be the case the DoJ has issued citizenship to thousands of people whom are not whom they say they are.?

Theres no evidence of that thus far. The passport office has requested the senders have the documents stamped by the nigerian embassy, and thats it.
    Hand on heart, forget your ideology.

Whats my ideology?
    for a minute, do you honestly think all is above board and its just a breakdown in communication between two departments?

...thats what I typed and nothing has come to the fore in the interim.

• Advertisement

...thats what I typed and nothing has come to the fore in the interim.

We can come back to this in a few months time and I shall be proved right, these people entered the country using false documentation.

They wont be able to prove they are who they say they are.

Before you put that down as purely anecdotal, or my opinion, I am willing to put my cash where me gob is.

We can come back to this in a few months time and I shall be proved right, these people entered the country using false documentation.

They wont be able to prove they are who they say they are.

Before you put that down as purely anecdotal, or my opinion, I am willing to put my cash where me gob is.

No, you'd mess up the cash. A sock would suffice.

Now - whats my ideology?

No, you'd mess up the cash. A sock would suffice.

Now - whats my ideology?

Open borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Is it a race between him and his cronies in Jerusalem to see who can put most Irish passports in circulation?:):):)

Open borders.

I've never advocated open borders, here or anywhere else. Very few do, because its rather a naive idea. It would seem that you see what you want to see.

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Is it a race between him and his cronies in Jerusalem to see who can put most Irish passports in circulation?:):):)

He wasnt MoJ when the Israeli Irish passport scandal came to light.

It was Saint Lenihan iirc.

I've never advocated open borders, here or anywhere else. Very few do, because its rather a naive idea. It would seem that you see what you want to see.

The Irish state practically practices it.

Ellis Dee wrote: »

Now, now. They aren't all in it together.

And besides, wasn't our Lord and Saviourone of them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭galgar

Why the need to get documents stamped by the Nigerian Embassy if the applicants have pleaded asylum here as refugees. Surely their former Embassy would be the last place they would go to.

• Advertisement

The Irish state practically practices it.

A stupid remark with zero basis in fact. Perhaps if you concentrated more on the provable than whats in your imagination, you wouldn't be misreading articles and wrongly attributing views to people who've never held them.

galgar wrote: »
    Why the need to get documents stamped by the Nigerian Embassy if the applicants have pleaded asylum here as refugees. Surely their former Embassy would be the last place they would go to.

Theres no mention of who, what or why as regards to these people being granted citizenship. Nor are exact numbers given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Another said that other nationalities are not being asked to certify their documentation, and accused the Passport Office of discrimination.
    It's good to see the PO upholding its rules but with the above quote I doubt this stand will last too long.

A stupid remark with zero basis in fact.

How many of the failed asylum seekers(90% whom claim asylum are refused) have been deported?

Any lad with a bit of intelligence could come and work here, just by taking advantage of one of the many, many loopholes.

Even if he has dodgy paperwork, he may still receive citizenship.

Joke shop of a country.

Theres no mention of who, what or why as regards to these people being granted citizenship. Nor are exact numbers given.

Seeing as only a few hundred work permits have ever been issued to Nigerians we can deduct that many of them were indeed former asylum seekers.

Seeing as only a few hundred work permits have ever been issued to Nigerians we can deduct that many of them were indeed former asylum seekers.

....I'd hestitate to guess what you "deduct", given this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Does he not realise we have enough of them here already?

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Does he not realise we have enough of them here already?

We've enough of who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

http://metroeireann.com/article/naturalised-nigerians-up-in-arms,3322

- Free access to Ireland for anyone who visits the UK "for the Olympics".

:mad:

Can you really be critical of something like this?

Thousands of people from North America, Australasia etc will be travelling to London and will be spending money on accommodation, food, memorabilia, and various other tourist related things. Surely making it as easy as possible for these tourists to take a short plane ride and do the same sort of thing in Ireland is not something to complain about?

How many of the failed asylum seekers(90% whom claim asylum are refused) have been deported?

Any lad with a bit of intelligence could come and work here, just by taking advantage of one of the many, many loopholes.

Even if he has dodgy paperwork, he may still receive citizenship.

Joke shop of a country.
    Joke shop of a thread, to be expected by this op.
    Have you looked up the word "intelligence"

bwatson wrote: »
    Can you really be critical of something like this?

Thousands of people from North America, Australasia etc will be travelling to London and will be spending money on accommodation, food, memorabilia, and various other tourist related things. Surely making it as easy as possible for these tourists to take a short plane ride and do the same sort of thing in Ireland is not something to complain about?

North Americans, Australians etc are already non visa required nationals.

They can already come here as they please.

• Advertisement

....I'd hestitate to guess what you "deduct", given this thread.

Let me explain. To gain citizenship one has to be resident in Ireland for at least five years.

Time spent as a student doesnt count, so we can deduct that they werent students.

Marriage to an EU citizen didnt, pre 2008, give one right to remain in Ireland, so we can deduct that they were not married to EU citizens, as the judgement was issued just four years ago.

Only five hundred work permits have ever been issued to Nigerians. So we can deduct that the majority of them werent on work permits.

What other option is there, but the asylum route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Only five hundred work permits have ever been issued to Nigerians. So we can deduct that the majority of them werent on work permits.

What other option is there, but the asylum route?

757, but don't let fact checking stop you. Oh, and that excludes numbers from '99 to '03 where the stats weren't collected. How many in total were issued from '99 to '03 you ask? 148 564, of which any number could have been from your target demographic.

Mena wrote: »
    757, but don't let fact checking stop you.

Wrong.
    Oh, and that excludes numbers from '99 to '03 where the stats weren't collected. How many in total were issued from '99 to '03 you ask?

Wrong 99-02.
    148 564, of which any number could have been from your target demographic.

Wrong. Circa 60,000 from 99-2002.

From here; http://www.djei.ie/labour/workpermits/statistics.htm

Nigerian asylum Applications lodged worldwide between 1998-2005 and their success rate(source UNHCR).

Country/ No of As applicants/ Recognition rates as refugees
    Austria/ 7,879 / 0.3%
    Belgium/ 1,074 / 0%
    Denmark/ 351 / 2.3%
    France / 6,025 / 2.0%
    Germany / 5,387/ 0%
    Spain/ 7,514 / 0.1%%
    Switz/ 3,041 / 0.7%
    UK / 8,509 / 0.3%
    Italy/ 758/ 2.3%
    Sweden/ 1,345/ 0%
    Netherlands/ 2,607/ 0.6%
    USA / 1,134/ 27.5%

Ireland/ 20,701/ 0.6%

According to the DoJ, 80% of all Nigerians claim to be without any form of travel documents when making their claim for asylum here.

But, yeah. I am sure that none of our new citizens were former asylum seekers. Even if the figures point to the contrary.:D

According to the DoJ, 80% of all Nigerians claim to be without any form of travel documents when making their claim for asylum here.

But, yeah. I am sure that none of our new citizens were former asylum seekers. Even if the figures point to the contrary.

Why are you so fixated on Nigerians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You do all realize these guys have signed up for operation "Human Shield" to gain their citizenship, in the event of a war they will be our Canon Fodder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

ORAC only deals with asylum seekers who are applying for refugee status. They do not have any power regarding citizenship, or other forms of immigration. So I would suggest that you wouldn't attach too much credibility to what this person said.

Wrong.

Yes you are. Check again. My figures include renewals which is in each case, a totally new application. You can download the spreadsheets from '04 to '12.

Wrong 99-02.

Correct, you're wrong again. Go take another look, read it slowly this time.
    Wrong. Circa 60,000 from 99-2002.

From here; http://www.djei.ie/labour/workpermits/statistics.htm

There's no "Circa" anything about it. Let me help you with the math:

Year - WP Applications
    1999 - 6250
    2000 - 18006
    2001 - 36436
    2002 - 40321
    2003 - 47551

Total = (keep up here now) 148 564.

Your own link gives this data to you for pete's sake.

Yes you are. Check again. My figures include renewals which is in each case, a totally new application. You can download the spreadsheets from '04 to '12.

Your figures include renewals so they are wrong. If I get my passport renewed, I am still one person. If a lad gets his work permit renewed, he is still one person too.

You are double counting people. Its dishonest

Benny Cake wrote: »
    ORAC only deals with asylum seekers who are applying for refugee status. They do not have any power regarding citizenship, or other forms of immigration. So I would suggest that you wouldn't attach too much credibility to what this person said.

I am well aware of that. But seeing as the vast, vast majority of Nigerians resident in Ireland were once asylum seekers, 80% of them with no documentation and only 0.6% of them being deemed above board, it comes to no surprise to people who dealt with them in a professional capacity.

From 1999-2005 20,701 Nigerians applied for asylum in Ireland. Each and every asylum seeker is given a PPS number to avail of medical care, their weekly payments, etc. etc. From 2000-2005(No figures available for 1999) 19,056 PPS numbers were issued with PPS numbers.

The figures dont lie.

Sources(Welfare.ie, CSO, UN, MoJ).

Your figures include renewals so they are wrong. If I get my passport renewed, I am still one person. If a lad gets his work permit renewed, he is still one person too.

You are double counting people. Its dishonest

You stated that only 500 work permits had ever been issued to Nigerians. I've proved you wrong.

The fact that you ignore the rest of my post confirms you're talking crap or just copy pasting from someone on p.ie.

You stated that only 500 work permits had ever been issued to Nigerians. I've proved you wrong.

The fact that you ignore the rest of my post confirms you're talking crap or just copy pasting from someone on p.ie.

You are double counting people. One person remains one person, no matter how many times they renew their visa. You are either being deliberately obtuse, or a bit touched.

And I copy and pasted **** all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement