Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New CPU Cooler

Options
  • 13-05-2012 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I recently got a new case ( a Corsair 500R) but moving my rig into this, I have noticed that my CPU temps are much higher. When I was using my old case I was able to get up to 3.6GHz but temps were touching low to mid 70s if I ran Prime95 for 10 minutebs but if I was using the PC normally or gaming the temps were ok. For the move I lowered the overclock to 3.2GHz but when I booted the temps were at low 70's during normal use. I have now reset the CPU back to stock speeds, but the temps are still in the high 60's when I am gaming.

I suspect that I must have knocked the CPU cooler when I was moving the rig and since I would like to overclock more I don't mind just getting a better cooler. Does anyone have any suggestions?

There are of course a few problems:
    1. The Corsair H60, H80 and H100 are incompatible with my motherboard.
    2. I have Reaper RAM which of course means that I am somewhat limited by the cooler I can get i.e. no Silver Arrows, Noctua NH-D14s or similar.

The Antec 620 Kuhler is €60 on komplett and it looks like a good deal, considering most of the big coolers won't fit and this has similar performance. However the Corsair A50 or Hyper 212 are only €40 and I wonder if the extra €20 will give me a significant improvement over these?

Does anyone have any suggestions with regards these coolers or any alternatives?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Why won't any of Corsair's coolers work for you? What motherboard do you have?

Edit: Just saw your signature. According to Corsair's website, the H60 will work with LGA775.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Serephucus wrote: »
    Why won't any of Corsair's coolers work for you? What motherboard do you have?

Edit: Just saw your signature. According to Corsair's website, the H60 will work with LGA775.

Where did you see that on the website? The only thing that I could find was on the forums (here) saying that all three are not compatible with the P5Q series motherboards.

From what I have seen though, the Antec 620 and Corsair H60 have similar performance. Do you think they are worth more than the Hyper 212 / A50?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Ah, I see. It's a specific motherboard thing. Well that's annoying.

How's about this? €40 for a H50.

http://www.adverts.ie/other-hardware/i7-bundle-intel-i7-930-asus-p6x58d-premium-corsair-dominator-gt-corsair-h50/1540308

You could probably get an air cooler for a bit cheaper, but with how finicky your motherboard looks, you'd run the risk of stuff not fitting, etc.

Advertisement