Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teachers and emergency tax

• 13-05-2012 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm in a position where I think I'm been charged emergency tax and I'm hoping some teachers who have been in the same situation will be able to answer my questions.

First of all I think I'm on emerency tax cos my last 2 paychecks have had zero tax credits, am I right? Secondly is d department my employer?? Lastly how do I sort this out and get my tax back?? I have requested a tax credits cert from the tax offices, will it be enuf to just pop this into the office r post it off to the payroll section of department?? Or will I have to fill out further paprwork??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Are you in a VEC or secondary school? If it's VEC, they are your employer, if not it's the Department.

Did you just start the job recently? Were you in another job where all your tax credits are still allocated to that employment? It could just be a simple case of getting the revenue to move your tax credits to Dept/VEC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Well I'm working in a ceist secndary school so d dept is my employer. Before this job I was unemployed for 9 months and I claimed my tax back, just to cover the motor tax and keep my car on d road, could dat have somthing to do with it?? Before I became unemployed I was working in the adult ed sector with a vec...

Is there any number I can call to find out exactly what d problem is?? Cos I jst don't understand d tax system at all and d revenues website is soo confusing. I'm trying to fill in a 12a form and its jst painful. Was hoping someone mite have found a shortcut..

Thanks for all ur advice. And I jst want to apologise for my bad spelling and txt talk, but my laptops broke and I'm using my blackberry to post here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ring the Revenue. Ask them where your tax credits are currently allocated. It might be the case that they are still allocated to the VEC you were previously working for. That means no credits are allocated to the Dept so you would be paying 41% tax on all earnings. If that is the case, they can remove that VEC from your list of current employers and transfer the credits to the Dept. Your new tax cert should then be forwarded to the Dept and you'll get your tax refunded if you've overpaid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I have been subbing this year and had a fair bit of trouble getting my tax sorted.

I rang the revenue to say I was working and they updated the system (I could see it on PAYE anytime) and they issued me a tax cert. Standard process is then that they send this info onto the employer who update their system and then you go on the normal system.

That didn't happen so I rang the dept payroll section and they said that "that system doesn't work for sub work" and I have to send them in my copy of the tax cert. So if you're subbing you may need to do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

I have been subbing this year and had a fair bit of trouble getting my tax sorted.

I rang the revenue to say I was working and they updated the system (I could see it on PAYE anytime) and they issued me a tax cert. Standard process is then that they send this info onto the employer who update their system and then you go on the normal system.

That didn't happen so I rang the dept payroll section and they said that "that system doesn't work for sub work" and I have to send them in my copy of the tax cert. So if you're subbing you may need to do this

Thanks a mil delta bravo. I actually just got off the phone with the revenue and they said exactly what they told you. But I'll give the department a call next week to doublecheck things. Even though I have a contract with the school til June I'm classed as a sub so I'll definately keep an eye on it. Any chance you have the number for the payroll section??

• Advertisement
Advertisement