Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some wind this afternoon

Options
  • 13-05-2012 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

The wind is as strong as I've ever known today. Some huge gusts!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Was at Dublin Airport earlier and a landing Ryanair from Gatwick was less than 50 feet above the runway when they aborted the landing. They reported a loss of 15 knots airspeed, so well done on recovering from it with so little height to spare.

I think though the wind is being made seem stronger because of the noise of the trees, which are now in full leaf, compared to the last time we had decent wind. Max gusts reported have only been around 45 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

GFS

airpressure.png

Sigmets out for severe mountain waves (which were forming a nice lenticularis display earlier) and severe turbulence below 5,0000 ft.
    EISN SIGMET 07 VALID 131515/131815 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR SEV MTW MAX VSP 700FPM FCST FL080 N OF LINE N52 W010 TO N53 W0530 NC=

EISN SIGMET 06 VALID 131500/131800 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR SEV TURB FCST N OF N53 BTN SFC/FL050 NC=

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Su Campu wrote: »
    Sigmets out for severe mountain waves (which were forming a nice lenticularis display earlier) and severe turbulence below 5,0000 ft.

Ye very nice Asperatus display earlier, best i could do to capture it with the iphone.

524305_10150956455396718_631736717_12538614_956296199_n.jpg

Picture doesnt do it justice.

Yes I saw them too, though I think you mean asperatus!! iPhone autocorrect!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Couple of days of wild and windy weather in May 2011 fair burnt the tree leaves last summer. I hope we are not in for a repeat. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Ye very nice Aspergus display earlier, best i could do to capture it with the iphone.

524305_10150956455396718_631736717_12538614_956296199_n.jpg

Picture doesnt do it justice.
    Su Campu wrote: »
    Yes I saw them too, though I think you mean asperatus!! iPhone autocorrect!!

i took loads of photos of them clouds over arklow earlier, ill post them soon. looked like a tornado was going to form at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

i took loads of photos of them clouds over arklow earlier, ill post them soon. looked like a tornado was going to form at one stage

That would defy quite a few laws indeed ha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Couple of days of wild and windy weather in May 2011 fair burnt the tree leaves last summer. I hope we are not in for a repeat. :(

only got winds gust of 30kmh this time, when last years storm blew in it was 50+

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

only got winds gust of 30kmh this time, when last years storm blew in it was 50+
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was the persistence and duration of the winds, rather than peak speeds, which drove salt laden sea air an unprecedented distance inland, and it was this salty air which burned the foliage.
    The west coast suffered the brunt of it, as far as I recall. There were very few such problems on the east coast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

It was the duration of the winds - but not necessarily salt. Sustained wind dries out the leaf tissues which kills and blackens them. It's already happening on a few of my trees from the last few days. Hate this weather:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It was the salt that affected the trees last year, at least thats what I read.
    I could actually taste the salt water yesterday, it was being blown everywhere with the winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

snaps wrote: »
    The wind is as strong as I've ever known today. Some huge gusts!

Want were you gusting upto in mayo ?

East coast here was gusty but nothing out of the norm for a windy day.

Advertisement