Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grazing muzzles - any advice?

• 13-05-2012 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi guys just wondered if anyone had experience with or uses grazing muzzles? Our 12 h pony would eat 24 hours non stop & we've had to keep him in the last four weeks to shift the weight but now he needs to go back out to the field so I thought I may give the grazing muzzle a try - any views? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

I put a grazing muzzle on my horse to help him lose a bit of fat. It was a soft one which I thought would be the kindest, however after a week of using it I noticed the rubs on his muzzle and nearly fainted! So that went in the bin and we restricted his grazing instead and made him do a bit more work, that did the trick!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd also restrict rather than muzzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Eshaness

Two friends of mine have used them from time to time on their horses and had no problems- did the job and no rubbing- depends on the horse I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I don't have a problem with muzzles. But a kinder option may be to graze your pony with sheep (where possible). Because of their dentition, sheep can graze land very tightly, meaning there is very little left for horses to get fat on or cause inflammation of the laminae, for example, which is something you are possibly concerned about if your pony is prone to laminitis.

This is a kind alternative to muzzling for many owners, and horses and ponies can sometimes enjoy the sheep's company too. If this is an option for you, just make sure your pony is well wormed first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

A grazing muzzle is definitely worth a try. You do need to watch out that it doesnt rub. Its a good solution if you still want horse to be free to roam a larger area.

I've heard good reports about these ones. And you will have to be persistent at the start.
    http://www.tackandturnout.co.uk/epages/jr29kctxxscu.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/jr29kctxxscu/Products/DMCLGRAZ/SubProducts/dmclgraz-sp-bk-m

• Advertisement
Advertisement