Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Chemistry...Before/After

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Mista wrote: »
    Hydrated. My bad :P the water of crystallisation one :)

You scared me there.. Yeah I hope that comes up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

No bother :) Your given them, or the ratios.. all you need are the ratios :P

My teachers convinced that hydrates sodium carbonate is coming up :P And I think that volatile liquid has a good chance of appearing... hate that one :( As for organic, maybe ethanal/ethanoic acid.. but I'm going over eveything, not gna do a Plath on chemistry :P

Ahh c'mon. Where's the fun when you have everything learnt off? Where's the risk? You might as well say no to life then if you're going to be like that

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

Why is sulfuric acid needed in the preparation of ethanal. What's it's function?

To supply H+'s

3(c2h5oh) + (cr2o7)2- + 8h+ = 3(ch3cho) + 2(cr3+) + 7(h20)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Hayezer wrote: »
    Thanks a mill :D!

No bother :)
    You scared me there.. Yeah I hope that comes up :)

Me to :) I've finally learned how to find x! :D
    Ahh c'mon. Where's the fun when you have everything learnt off? Where's the risk? You might as well say no to life then if you're going to be like that

Haha, ah I fecked up one subject, not gna do that on another :P Besides, I love chemistry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Let's say with an ester like methyl ethanoate, is methanol the alcohol and ethanoic acid the carb. acid? Or is it the other way around :confused:?

• Advertisement

Let's say with an ester like methyl ethanoate, is methanol the alcohol and ethanoic acid the carb. acid? Or is it the other way around :confused:?

Yep that's right. It helps if you draw it out you can see the carboxylic acid in the structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddyhes

Yep that's it.
    Alcohol makes up the first part.
    Carb. acid makes up the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TheHazer

Naomi00 wrote: »
    I can see why they'd want a better version of experiments if their book is as bad as ours, 'Chemistry Live' :\

That's written by the same man who makes out the chemistry test every year :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ivanh

We don't need to know the equations for soap, ethanal or ethanoic acid

Why is sulfuric acid needed in the preparation of ethanal. What's it's function?
    Provides H+ ions for the reaction!

• Advertisement

ivanh wrote: »

We do need to know soap equation.. They asked half of it before.

We definitely do for soap.

Anyone not know the scientists and what they discovered in Chapter 1?

I just can't get them into my head, but I've an awful feeling they'll be a big chunk of Q5 or at least a part of Q4.. :/

Can anyone summarise them for me? It would be greatly appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Know all equations if you want an A1.
    Don't expect an A1 if you haven't every page memorised.

We definitely do for soap.
    Oh yeah sorry my bad, but the other two, definitely not :)

Anyone not know the scientists and what they discovered in Chapter 1?

I just can't get them into my head, but I've an awful feeling they'll be a big chunk of Q5 or at least a part of Q4.. :/

Can anyone summarise them for me? It would be greatly appreciated :D

I doubt they'll come in in Q5! Came up last two years. I'd say its trends and bonding(first ionisations is my bet). Definitely for Q4 though :P

No bother :) And yea, only realised that now you've mentioned it.. thank god for small mercies anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

I need a B2... FCUK

If you want a B1, don't memorise the other two.

reznov wrote: »

Bold Reznov!

• Advertisement

Bold Reznov!

Only the top students achieve an A1.
    The top students practically have university level knowledge coming into the exam.
    Best way to see if you're capable is to sit a university chemistry exam (3rd year recommended). If you achieve a high grade, you're ready for the leaving.

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

I just have to look over definitions and experiments again, and I'm all set. These are all of them that have been asked since 2002. :)

Page one
    Page two

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

earwax_man wrote: »
    I just have to look over definitions and experiments again, and I'm all set. These are all of them that have been asked since 2002. :)

Page one
    Page two

Legend!

earwax_man wrote: »

Page one
    Page two

Hmm you have nice writing <3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Lads, all I know is equilibrium and fuels & heats :( if i manage to get the rest of organic, water, oxidation/reduction, some atomic theory and the organic experiments and titrations done by tomorrow, should I pass honours? Like I'd be happy with a D3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

Only the top students achieve an A1.
    The top students practically have university level knowledge coming into the exam.
    Best way to see if you're capable is to sit a university chemistry exam (3rd year recommended). If you achieve a high grade, you're ready for the leaving.

Are you alright? Mentally that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ashalingable

ei.sderob wrote: »
    Are you alright? Mentally that is.

Seconded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

Anyone have the definition for a covalent bond and a sublevel? Grand for the rest on those links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

Lads, all I know is equilibrium and fuels & heats :( if i manage to get the rest of organic, water, oxidation/reduction, some atomic theory and the organic experiments and titrations done by tomorrow, should I pass honours? Like I'd be happy with a D3.

Yeah just make sure you know all your organic experiments because they could ask anything on organic

Advertisement