Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Chemistry...Before/After

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

ei.sderob wrote: »
    Anyone have the definition for a covalent bond and a sublevel? Grand for the rest on those links.

Covalent bond - Bond formed when two atoms share a pair of electrons

Sub level - Sub division of a main energy level and consists of one or more orbitals of the same energy

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

Sorry if this has been asked but any predictions? I've revised everythong several times but want to go over important stuff again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

Covalent bond - Bond formed when two atoms share a pair of electrons

Sub level - Sub division of a main energy level and consists of one or more orbitals of the same energy

Coooool beans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ivanh

Just under 17 hours!!!!!

I'm pumped. Boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

ivanh wrote: »
    Just under 17 hours!!!!!

I'm pumped. Boom.

Me too!! What you hoping to get??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

Not too sure how to feel about this one lads....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Are there any resources online with summaries of the experiments? I just can't learn them from the book, it's a load of waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddyhes

ei.sderob wrote: »
    Not too sure how to feel about this one lads....

Same.
    Had to revise physics half of saturday and all yesterday.
    Knew the entire chemistry course more or less before the exams started but when you go away from it it's so easy to forget half of it.
    Strapped for time now to get everything revised and panicing (n).

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

paddyhes wrote: »
    Same.
    Had to revise physics half of saturday and all yesterday.
    Knew the entire chemistry course more or less before the exams started but when you go away from it it's so easy to forget half of it.
    Strapped for time now to get everything revised and panicing (n).

Same as me, I left chemistry for a while because of Irish, English and Maths. Although I have revised, I feel that I'm not as ready as I should be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ivanh

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    Me too!! What you hoping to get??
    I reeeeally want an A1 - I have my biggest chance of getting one in Chemistry!

But I have a shi*t feeling the paper's gonna be.. well, shi*t :/

What about you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddyhes

earwax_man wrote: »
    Same as me, I left chemistry for a while because of Irish, English and Maths. Although I have revised, I feel that I'm not as ready as I should be

I've been looking over experiments all evening.
    Gonna try cover important theory, and maybe definitions, tomorrow.
    Just don't know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

leaveiton wrote: »
    Are there any resources online with summaries of the experiments? I just can't learn them from the book, it's a load of waffle.

Not sure, but do exam questions on them, that way you'll only go over important stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I don't feel good about this. Chemistry is my best (98% in mocks) and I didn't do anything really until now! :( I need this a1 and just hope what I remember from the mocks will stand for me.

ChemHickey wrote: »
    I don't feel good about this. Chemistry is my best (98% in mocks) and I didn't do anything really until now! :( I need this a1 and just hope what I remember from the mocks will stand for me.

If you got that high, then a lot of the stuff is engraved onto your brain :P You'll find yourself remembering things you completely forgot about.. hopefully :P

Need an A1. Gone over everything a few times but I get a weird feeling about it. There's no real definitive resource to learn the experiments so I just did the exam papers. Also, I hate the way they change their minds what definitions they accept from year to year.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

my god.

Pulled an A2 in the mocks meself but I got pretty lucky :p Nice paper tomorrow would be appreciated :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sheeba7

What organic experiments are most likely to come up for question 2

sheeba7 wrote: »

I reckon ethanal/ethanoic acid but there's no way of telling...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 drbtrenier

Determined to get an A1 tomorrow! Have taught myself Chemistry for the last 2 years because my school doesn't offer it, and didn't get grinds or anything, so now I really want to prove to everyone that I wasn't a fool for doing it the way I did! Chemistry paper, come at me!

Does anyone think it's likely that they'll bring in a new experiment for Q3 that they've never asked for it before, such as equilibrium expts or halogens as oxidising agents?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

sheeba7 wrote: »

I reckon ethanal/ethanoic acid but there's no way of telling...

Maybe ethyne with yield calculations.

drbtrenier wrote: »
    Determined to get an A1 tomorrow! Have taught myself Chemistry for the last 2 years because my school doesn't offer it, and didn't get grinds or anything, so now I really want to prove to everyone that I wasn't a fool for doing it the way I did! Chemistry paper, come at me!

Does anyone think it's likely that they'll bring in a new experiment for Q3 that they've never asked for it before, such as equilibrium expts or halogens as oxidising agents?

Fair play to ya! :P

And don't scare me :(

my teacher thinks properties of ethanal/ethanoic acid.

Maybe ethyne with yield calculations.

Hopefully.. they're handy enough :) Compared to others anyway :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

it will be chromatography and ethene/ethyne for the organic experiment:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Is the whole Bromine and Ethene mechanism the same thing for things like HCL and Ethene?

Sunny!! wrote: »
    it will be chromatography and ethene/ethyne for the organic experiment:cool:

Hate Chromatography :(

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Hayezer wrote: »
    Is the whole Bromine and Ethene mechanism the same thing for things like HCL and Ethene?

There's just one difference, bromine forms a bridged intermediate compound with the carbonium ion. Apart from that they're practically the same, and I'm pretty sure you could get away without knowing that most if not all years of papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Hate Chromatography :(

It's the one that I always skip :L after seeing this, spose I'll have quick look over it.
    Ethanal, Winkler and Volatile Liquid :cool:

• Advertisement

chromatography is the most hatefully boring section of the course..

Advertisement