Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Chemistry...Before/After

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

chromatography is the most hatefully boring section of the course..

disgusting i agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Nazata wrote: »
    There's just one difference, bromine forms a bridged intermediate compound with the carbonium ion. Apart from that they're practically the same, and I'm pretty sure you could get away without knowing that most if not all years of papers.

Could you expand on this please, I always thought it was the same mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Hayezer wrote: »
    It's the one that I always skip :L after seeing this, spose I'll have quick look over it.
    Ethanal, Winkler and Volatile Liquid :cool:

Yes, no and no :pac:

My hopes are ethene/ethyne, water of crystallisation and a rate of reaction question :D

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Hopefully they'll throw in an aul graph so I can pass the paper :cool:

Mista wrote: »

My hopes are ethene/ethyne, water of crystallisation and a rate of reaction question :D

if that happens ill cry with joy:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Could you expand on this please, I always thought it was the same mechanism.

The only difference is Br+ ion forms a shared bond with both carbons while with HCL, H+ only forms a bond with one of them.
    Also when the Br- ion joins on, each Br atom is only bonded to one carbon.
    Bridged intermediate compound aren't covered properly by our course so it's very unlikely to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Water of crystallisation would be handy aswell cus I just learned how to do the big calculations at the end :L. Ethene and ethyne are grand aswell, but someone said ethyne with yields? I never knew there was calculations in ethyne. Rates of reaction is probably nicest experiment there is, 18 marks for graph :D.

Does anyone else study experiments by just doing the exam questions of em that came up? If anything outside those past questions comes up on an experiment, I'm screwed :L. I just basically learn off old answers!

Nazata wrote: »
    The only difference is Br+ ion forms a shared bond with both carbons while with HCL, H+ only forms a bond with one of them.
    Also when the Br- ion joins on, each Br atom is only bonded to one carbon.

You don't have to do that weird shape when your doing the normal Br one :pac: I do it the exact same for both of them :D

Water of crystallisation would be handy aswell cus I just learned how to do the big calculations at the end :L. Ethene and ethyne are grand aswell, but someone said ethyne with yields? I never knew there was calculations in ethyne. Rates of reaction is probably nicest experiment there is, 18 marks for graph :D.

Does anyone else study experiments by just doing the exam questions of em that came up? If anything outside those past questions comes up on an experiment, I'm screwed :L. I just basically learn off old answers!

youll be able to get over 40 learning that way at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Same. It's bound to catch me out somehow but I think I'm only doing 2 of the 3 experiments and 6 regular questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

It's the one that I always skip :L after seeing this, spose I'll have quick look over it.
    Ethanal, Winkler and Volatile Liquid :cool:

Any of these would be beautiful for me :D

Me too :D Ethyne with yields? :L Must have meant ethanal/ethanoic acid..

Yea thats all I do :) Sure theres not that much else they can really ask ye..

Ones that came up last year or soap better not come up :mad: or ones you wouldn't expect to come up, like test for anions or Le Chateliers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Me too :D Ethyne with yields? :L Must have meant ethanal/ethanoic acid..

Yea thats all I do :) Sure theres not that much else they can really ask ye..

No no, I mean ethyne/ethene. They can make a yield on any organic. It is standard work though.

ChemHickey wrote: »
    No no, I mean ethyne/ethene. They can make a yield on any organic. It is standard work though.

I would panic so much if they came up D:. I'm only used to naming the solid X and giving its colour!!

Ones that came up last year or soap better not come up :mad: or ones you wouldn't expect to come up, like test for anions or Le Chateliers...

Test for anions are alright.. they were a full question along with flame tests on 2009. I'd say they could come up in Q11 though.
    I would panic so much if they came up D:. I'm only used to naming the solid X and giving its colour!!

Haha, it's actually stupid how easy them questions are..

Well the calculation would be almost identical to the other yields!

Don't know what it is but I hate the anion tests! They're easy and there's not much work in them but I just hate them! :o Flame tests are great though <3

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Well the calculation would be almost identical to the other yields!

THIS ISNT MEANT TO BE IN THIS QUESTION :pac: :pac:
    Like ethanal yield :):cool:?

THIS ISNT MEANT TO BE IN THIS QUESTION :pac: :pac:
    Like ethanal yield :):cool:?

Ya like those yields but the question would be

A group of students went about a process to make ethyne from solid X by dousing it in liquid Y. If 2.5g of Solid x was used and only 1.75cm^3 of a gas was produced (given density = xyz) what is the theoretical yield of the gaseous vapour formed.

^Just mad it up but it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Right so I need a C1 in this tomorrow...Got a D3 in the mocks and have worked my ass off to get better at Chemistry. I feel I have improved a lot but I keep getting the feeling all the effort will not be worth it...:( Sorry for the really pessimistic post. Ah well shure lets hope all goes well! :D

David1994 wrote: »
    Right so I need a C1 in this tomorrow...Got a D3 in the mocks and have worked my ass off to get better at Chemistry. I feel I have improved a lot but I keep getting the feeling all the effort will not be worth it...:( Sorry for the really pessimistic post. Ah well shure lets hope all goes well! :D

Good Luck! You'll be fine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Thanks man :D Hope so.Really wish I didnt have a crapppy teacher for two years :P

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

I feel confident that I can handle anything they throw at me. Give me that A1 please otherwise I'll be a sad drunk tonight. I might put some lipstick on my script seal the deal.

Night guys, good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

i'm just wondering are all the people who are hoping for and will probably obtain an A1/A2 just smart at everything or is it just chemistry? I know I certainly could achieve an A1 in my language, but i find science more difficult.

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    i'm just wondering are all the people who are hoping for and will probably obtain an A1/A2 just smart at everything or is it just chemistry? I know I certainly could achieve an A1 in my language, but i find science more difficult.

I'm not sure, but there is something about chemistry... it's like embossed on my brain. I can't forget it!

I'd just be very mathematical/sciencey. I do quite well in German but I think that's mainly because it's quite logical and suits my mathematical side. I tend to do fairly well in English too but I don't enjoy it in the least, it's only because I study for it that I'd do well. I could put in much less time for chemistry/biology and do better because I just really like science.

Hopefully that didn't come across like I was saying I'm great at everything because that's not what I mean at all :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

Not really a fan of the Winkler method or any water experiment to be honest. Question: what are the pieces of evidence that the addition of bromine across ethene has occurred?

I just love chemistry.. my favourate subject :P I've studied way more for it thatn any other subject (except maths) :pac:

• Advertisement

ei.sderob wrote: »
    Not really a fan of the Winkler method or any water experiment to be honest. Question: what are the pieces of evidence that the addition of bromine across ethene has occurred?

When bromine and ethene react in water with sodium chloride, 2-bromoethanol is formed. (Apparently this is evidence :L)

Advertisement