Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Chemistry...Before/After

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddyhes

Thank you so much! :D

No problem (y).

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Please give us nice experiments and nice equilibrium question! Question like 2005 equilibrium would ruin my day

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

Hayezer wrote: »
    Please give us nice experiments and nice equilibrium question! Question like 2005 equilibrium would ruin my day

They took the practical experiment of that question off out course recently, but apparently we are supposed to still know the theory..

I think it would be really unfair and unlikely that it comes up, don't worry about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Should I know the Winkler equations? Any point of learning them?

Bitta Haber Bosch with right conditions etc would go down nicely :pac:

• Advertisement

Pepperr wrote: »
    It's similar to the ethanal one, except you have excess acidified dichromate and you don't distil off the product.

You set it up in reflux, making sure oxidising agent (Dichromate) is in excess.
    The Orange dichromate turns green as the ethanol oxidises.

The set up starts with ethanol and water in a dripping funnel, dripping through a liebig condenser into a pear shaped flask. The flask is in a water bath, and in the flask is the dichromate, dilute sulfuric acid and anti bumping granules. After 30 mins, you are done! (Might have missed something, that is most of it though.)

MAKE SURE THE DICHROMATE IS IN THE PEAR FLASK. This is to ensure complete oxidation to Ethanoic Acid. REMEMBER THE TESTS to prove that Ethanoic acid is indeed a weak acid. Just test adding NaOH, Mg Metal and Sodium Carbonate.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 drbtrenier

Preparation
    1. Ethanol and water in tap funnel, added drop by drop down a condenser to sodium dichromate and sulfuric acid in pear-shaped flask. (Flask has anti-bumping chips in it.)
    2. This reaction is very exothermic so:
    -Only add drop by drop
    -Wait for the reaction to subside before adding next few drops
    -Immerse the flask in a beaker of cold water.
    3. Reflux this mixture for about 20 mins.
    4. Colour changes from orange to green as Cr(VI) is reduced to Cr(III). Remember that sodium dichromate is the oxidising agent for the reaction.
    5. Rearrange the apparatus for distillation over a bunsen burner. BB very important as ethanoic acid has a boiling pt of 118 C.

Properties
    These are basically just reactions as acids.
    1. Reacts with sodium hydroxide (base) to form a salt and water:
    CH3COOH + NaOH -> CH3COONa + H2O
    During this process phenophthalein changes from colourless to pink.

2. Reacts with sodium carbonate to form a salt, carbon dioxide and water. Fizzing is observed:
    2CH3COOH + Na2CO3 -> 2CH3COONa + CO2 + H2O

3. Reacts with magnesium metal to form a salt (magnesium ethanoate) and hydrogen gas. Burns with a pop noise:
    2CH3COOH + Mg -> (CH3COO)2Mg + H2

Hope this helps... :)

EDIT: **Sodium dichromate in excess to ensure complete oxidation to ethanoic acid**

drbtrenier wrote: »
    Preparation
    1. Ethanol and water in tap funnel, added drop by drop down a condenser to sodium dichromate and sulfuric acid in pear-shaped flask. (Flask has anti-bumping chips in it.)
    -Only add drop by drop
    4. Colour changes from orange to green as Cr(VI) is reduced to Cr(III). Remember that sodium dichromate is the oxidising agent for the reaction.
    5. Rearrange the apparatus for distillation over a bunsen burner. BB very important as ethanoic acid has a boiling pt of 118 C.

Properties

2. Reacts with sodium carbonate to form a salt, carbon dioxide and water. Fizzing is observed:

3. Reacts with magnesium metal to form a salt (magnesium ethanoate) and hydrogen gas. Burns with a pop noise:

Thats great thanks! Do we need those equations :(? And I thought the salt formed is ethyl ethanoate?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddyhes

Thats great thanks! Do we need those equations :(? And I thought the salt formed is ethyl ethanoate?

Nope ethyl ethanoate is an ester formed by combining ethanol with ethanoic acid.

Yes, I think so, but they're fairly easy, just think of how an acid works, gets rid of a proton, salt is formed when reacts with a base.

2nd answer, no, ethyl ethanoate is an ester, be careful with that! It's formed when a carboxylic acid reacts with an alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Preparation
    -Only add drop by drop

Properties

Ethyl ethanoate is the ester.

ChemHickey wrote: »

Yeah the salt sodium ethanoate forms.

Hey Chem, do we need the winkler ewuations learned off?

Dunno where I got that from :pac: thanks, will remember it noww :)

reznov wrote: »

Yeah the salt sodium ethanoate forms.

Hey Chem, do we need the winkler ewuations learned off?

Not specified, but if you have time, I would as he has to find a place to pull marks off people! They'll be the first thing I'll write down if it's on for q1!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Preparation
    -Only add drop by drop

Properties

EDIT: **Sodium dichromate in excess to ensure complete oxidation to ethanoic acid**

I thought this couldn't come up due to the dichromate being carcinogenic ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ivanh

Anyone think that the redox titration between Potassium Permanganate and Ammonium Iron (II) Sulfate might come up in Q1?

I don't think it's ever been asked? :/

ivanh wrote: »
    Anyone think that the redox titration between Potassium Permanganate and Ammonium Iron (II) Sulfate might come up in Q1?

I doubt it because there's not much to ask..:P

It can! Most schools prepared the experiment already. But maybe they will leave it out. Hopefully not D:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

It can! Most schools prepared the experiment already. But maybe they will leave it out. Hopefully not D:

We did it in Maynooth as a demonstration :)

Also, I just came across a Halogen experiment to do with demonstrating oxidation.. would it be worth my while looking over it? :/

ivanh wrote: »

I've a feeling they'll make a water of crystallisation out of it.

• Advertisement

Mista wrote: »

We did it in Maynooth as a demonstration :)

Also, I just came across a Halogen experiment to do with demonstrating oxidation.. would it be worth my while looking over it? :/

Yes.

It still can, check out this article... We're still expected to know the "theoretical knowledge" :pac:

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/school-science-labs-told-to-stop-using-blacklisted-chemicals-2585586.html

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

I've a feeling they'll make a water of crystallisation out of it.

My practical teacher was of the same opinion.

Im thinking water of crystallistion and volatile liquid q3 any ideas for q 2 .

Technically it says in the syllabus that question 1 2 and 3 cannot be demonstrations they have to be done by the students but ethanal and ethanoic acid can be asked in Section B;)

We did both the ethanal/ethanoic expts.

Still standing! For now.....

(They were fun too)

Im thinking water of crystallistion and volatile liquid q3 any ideas for q 2 .

Technically it says in the syllabus that question 1 2 and 3 cannot be demonstrations they have to be done by the students but ethanal and ethanoic acid can be asked in Section B;)

Prep of Ethene. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Prep of Ethene. :pac:

Hopefully.. and mix in some ethyne as well :pac:

It still can, check out this article... We're still expected to know the "theoretical knowledge" :pac:

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/school-science-labs-told-to-stop-using-blacklisted-chemicals-2585586.html
    Well that new syllabus is gonna suck monkey balls

Those experiments were the best part!

As Declan Kennedy said himself: "There are fun times ahead!"

Lol

Here's hoping for a lovely leaving cert chemistry paper in 2012 in approx 1 hour 48 minutes time with water of crystallistaion preparation of ethene and ethyne and volatile liquid :D

• Advertisement

Here's hoping for a lovely leaving cert chemistry paper in 2012 in approx 1 hour 48 minutes time with water of crystallistaion preparation of ethene and ethyne and volatile liquid :D

That would be so good :p Or the rates of reaction one, lovely experiment :P! Wouldn't mind winkler, ethanal or ethanoic either!

Advertisement